2018 GT Dual-Disk Clutch

Discussion in 'Drivetrain, Exhaust and Electrical' started by Gary Smith, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Gary Smith

Gary Smith TMO Intermediate

Does anyone here yet know whether the 2018 MT-82 still has a 26-spline input shaft, and if so, is there any other reason why the new dual-disk clutch and dual-mass flywheel wouldn't work in my 2017 GT?

I'm wondering because my clutch is wounded and my local Ford shop (that I trust) is unwilling to install any aftermarket dual-disc clutch.

2. VoodooBoss

VoodooBoss Rick Moderator

Welcome to TMO. That's a great question and hopefully someone has the answer. In my Boss 302 my dealer installed an aftermarket McLeod clutch with the understanding that they would cover the labor but once installed there would be no warranty on the aftermarket clutch. Good luck.

3. Gary Smith

Thanks VB for the welcome. I now realize that I should have asked if the new MT-82 input shaft is unchanged - maybe still 26-splines but length has changed. This will all be widely know soon, I'm just impatient.

VoodooBoss likes this.
  4. 302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car

Gary, Welcome to TMO and that is a good question. This is the right Forum for technical questions.

5. 06mach1

06mach1 TMO Addict

Didn't Ford say the MT82 was upgraded for 2018?

6. steveespo

steveespo Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child Moderator

Yes Mike. Who knows what they did? Hopefully dual disc/dual mass clutch and flywheel help protect the synchros by releasing properly at high RPM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VoodooBoss likes this.
  7. Gary Smith

The 2018 MT-82 has all new gear ratios with 4th 1:1 - in earlier versions 5th is 1:1

8. steveespo

steveespo Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child Moderator

Gary what is the 5th gear ratio?

9. M91196

M91196 TMO Advanced

Yeah I'd like to see all the ratios, wonder if 1-3 changed.

"While Ford’s all-new 10-speed automatic transmission landing in the updated, 2018 Ford Mustang has been the subject of some number of news articles, little has been written about the Getrag-supplied 6-speed manual option. Perhaps this is because it’s the very same manual transmission that’s served the Mustang ever since the debut of the first-generation 5.0L Coyote V8 for 2011, back when the pony car was still in its “S-197” phase.
    But just as the Coyote has since moved on, inheriting dual-injection and the 5.2L Voodoo’s advanced, plasma-sprayed cylinder bore liners, the Getrag MT82 has also undergone a bit of innovating.
    For 2018, the Ford Mustang GT’s MT82 gets brand-new gear ratios to make full use of the more-potent, 460-horsepower Coyote V8. It’s dubbed the “MT82-D4” for its direct-drive fourth gear (the version in the outgoing Mustang GT had a direct-drive fifth), and its duality of overdrive gears ought to help bring down engine speed during highway cruising. (Despite this, the EPA’s fuel economy ratings for the Ford Mustang GT manual have not budged relative to 2017.)
    Responding to customer criticism about shifts sometimes being hard to execute, Ford has also taken the liberty of changing out the MT82-D4’s synchromesh rings, revising the cone angles and tooth geometry to help slide into gears a bit easier. The clutch on the newest Ford Mustang GT has been overhauled, as well, making use of a new twin-disk setup to increase the torque limit while decreasing the amount of effort required to depress the pedal. EcoBoost models don’t get that clutch setup, but they have received a new diaphragm spring and cover, which again raises torque capacity while improving pedal feel.
    Mating with the twin-disk clutch in GT models is a new dual-mass flywheel, which should work to dampen violent changes in torque and rotational speed."

Read more: http://fordauthority.com/2017/11/th...n-is-new-and-improved-for-2018/#ixzz4ynzaYbO2

Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    VoodooBoss likes this.
  10. ArizonaBOSS

ArizonaBOSS Because racecar. Moderator

That is very interesting news. I wonder if the 5th gear will be something useful for the track like a .9 or .8x overdrive. At any rate, avoiding a shift to 5th will save some time.

11. HextallS550

HextallS550 TMO Intermediate

MT-82 doesn't have a 26 spline input shaft.

12. 1Danapple8

1Danapple8 TMO Intermediate

The 5th gear on the 18s is something like .75 or close to that anyway. It is useless on the track, the factory governor kicks a
    In at around 6900rpm in 4th gear. 2-3 are pretty much all you'll use on most tracks and a little of 4th on a long strait as 3rd gear tops around 118

ArizonaBOSS likes this.