The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 gt header install

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone in the socal inland empire area down to help me install a set of long tubes on my 2018 this upcoming Sunday-Monday? Got no lift and minimal garage space so it should be a good time.

You might want to extend past Sunday and Monday without any form of lift.

I put in leave from Sunday-Wednesday at noon. So with or without any help it will be done by tuesday night haha. I have been told it's about a 9-10 hour job without a lift, so im figuring 14-15 cuz thats how these things always go
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are a pain to do. I did my GT350 and I used a quick jack lift to get it off the ground about 20”. Still a pain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is my first s550. Ive done a few gtos and camaros as well as our 66 fastback. All of those were relatively easy 4 hour jobs. Except the fastback.. Guess ford just likes to be difficult hahaha

Planning on raising the engine havent heard about dripping the K, would that be easier you think?

Dropping the kmember the work is more kmember related and is supposed to make the header work quicker with less chances of stripped bolts.

Raising is how many weird angles and semi solid tool face connections and loads of patience do you want to have.

Shooters choice, I dropped the k and supported the engine using a engine support brace and that appears to be the Tmo preferred method

Dropping the kmember the work is more kmember related and is supposed to make the header work quicker with less chances of stripped bolts.

Raising is how many weird angles and semi solid tool face connections and loads of patience do you want to have.

Shooters choice, I dropped the k and supported the engine using a engine support brace and that appears to be the Tmo preferred method

Interesting, do you know of any videos or threads with a walkthrough for this. Ive only see jacking the motor up on all the videos from like lmr or cj

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic

^This. There's a reason why the factory installs engines this way...

Raising the engine sometimes means moving it up and down several times including little adjustments.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Hmmm.... I've seen a few header installs for the S550 and none required or even mentioned removal of the K-member.

OP has no lift. All those installs are showing installations from a lift. When installing from the ground and putting in long tubes, it's easy to run out of space. Install videos don't show you all the swearing involved... there are hints in all three videos about where the pitfalls are. Availability of tools is important with header installs... Extensions, joints, stubbies, various socket depths, etc. always helpful with limited access areas.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
OP has no lift. All those installs are showing installations from a lift. When installing from the ground and putting in long tubes, it's easy to run out of space. Install videos don't show you all the swearing involved... there are hints in all three videos about where the pitfalls are. Availability of tools is important with header installs... Extensions, joints, stubbies, various socket depths, etc. always helpful with limited access areas.

Oh, I agree that a lift is the way to go. However, there are many people who are installing headers on the S550 while only using jack stands. Some of the more experienced are getting it done in 5-6 hours, but most report it taking most of the day. I was seriously looking into doing it, but I decided I just didn't want to deal with the emission law hassles here in California.

TMO Supporting Vendors