The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 Mustang Updates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

These changes should up the arms race just a tad.

MagnaRide dampers
Direct injection (how much more power)
Better aero
10 speed auto
Cool new electronic dash
Improved clutch
Improved manual trans (The Tremec 3160 please)
Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires (hopefully wider)
Active exhaust

Did I miss anything? Shoot why bother with a GT350? What's your guess on the GT HP?

"For 2018, the Mustang GT's 5.0-liter V8 gets both both port and direct fuel injection, similar to the fuel system found in the 3.5-liter V6 in the new F-150 Raptor. This dual-injection system allows Ford to increase the V8's compression ratio from 11.0:1 to 12.0:1, which should aid power and fuel efficiency."

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a32298/2018-ford-mustang/

ustang-v8-gt-with-performace-pack-in-orange-fury-2.jpg
tang-v8-gt-with-performace-pack-in-orange-fury-3-1.jpg
gallery-1484594417-new-ford-mustang-interior.jpg
-inch-lcd-digital-instrument-cluster-in-sport-view.jpg

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
We won't have the chance to drive the updated Mustang for another few months, but a Ford engineer told us that the GT Performance Pack with MagneRide is better than the beloved 2012-2013 Mustang Boss 302.

Funny, I thought the current Perf Packs were really already there.

Horsepower increase have been pretty incremental with Coyote-powered Mustangs, starting at 412, then 420 and now 435. A full point compression ratio increase is significant, though, so I'll say 450-ish.

Gotta say, although it's subjective, I think Ford swung and missed on the front end styling. Incoherent, overly fussy, kinda weird. Too bad. Let's hope the GT350 doesn't get similarly messed with.

The dash is cool though. From different photos of it, looks like the display configuration might be programmable, almost like an AIM or MOTEC. Neat. Guessing the 7500 RPM redline is for the upgraded 5.0, which other sources have reported has an increased redline.

Grant 302 said:
Funny, I thought the current Perf Packs were really already there.

Seriously, I thought they had said that all along, too.

Six years newer engineering, I would hope they can finally eclipse the Boss. I'm guessing a new GT with all the equipment to beat a '12-'13 Boss will also sticker for more than a '12-'13 Boss, too.

The new front end is a downgrade. The car looks stoned, and the two front vents in the hood look like cheesy aftermarket add ons. They need to have focus groups of enthusiasts, not whomever it is they have doing them. WTF? Who thought that was an improvement?

I actually did one of those focus groups for Ford once, in 1995, for what turned out to be the '98 Ranger. It was all very secret, and they didn't say what we were going down there for other than it was automotive related. They had us all sign non-disclosure agreements, then they had about 20 of us go into a room where they had the current Ranger, a Toyota pickup, an S10, and the new Ranger, which no one had ever seen. All were debadged. We had to fill out questionnaires about our current vehicles, demographics, height/weight/marital status/shoe size/sexual preferences/favorite foods, etc. LMAO. Then we looked at all four and answered tons of questions about how we "felt" about the styling. It was interesting, and definitely worth the $100 in cash they gave us.

Looking at the dash, which does look cool, I noticed the redline is 7500RPM. Is that the redline of the current 5.0, the Ecoboost, or is this an improvement?

Also, I didn't see anyone mention that Ford is killing the V6, too. I a little confused about this, marketing wise, since Chevy not only has the 335HP V6, but they have doubled down on it and offer the 1LE handling package with the V6.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Not wild about that new front fascia. LED headlights should work great but also not crazy about the design change from the 15-17 cars.

Everything else sounds like good improvements.

BTW here is a version in what appears to be Race Red, so far the best looking one I've seen (not that I am biased...), along with some pretty good looking OEM wheels:

KP7pddF.jpg

4gQg294.jpg

Grant 302

^Those wheels would work for me. I hope those are the Performance Pack wheels.

And I think I kinda like the angular 'catfish' look. :-\ Too bad it doesn't really match the sheetmetal that's carried over in the doors and quarter panels.

I don't really like the fog light area on the front end.

If the only change to the motor is a one point increase in compression, then I would expect 445 - 450 horsepower. However, increasing compression also supports more aggressive camshafts and a higher rpm potential if a new intake is used. The possible 7,500 rpm redline makes me suspect that it isn't a simple compression increase, but possibly a camshaft revision and almost certainly a new intake. You could easily see 460 HP if Ford increases compression and uses a GT350 style intake and throttle body. No matter the approach, I doubt we will see less than 455 HP from a marketing standpoint to compete with the Camaro SS.

Realistically, the Mustang needs 470 HP to offset the weight it gained in the last redesign and actually have better acceleration than the S197 model or the new ATS based Camaro.

MA
Racerpilotalan said:
Is that a Boss 302 in the photo background?

There is a Boss 302 in the background of 2 of the photos, one at the house and one parked on the street corner.....maybe a hint that it could be 444hp, 7500RPM redline?

the photo on the street corner is in the collection of ford photos, not posted here.

Grant 302

coboss said:
Seriously, I thought they had said that all along, too.

Six years newer engineering, I would hope they can finally eclipse the Boss. I'm guessing a new GT with all the equipment to beat a '12-'13 Boss will also sticker for more than a '12-'13 Boss, too.

Agreed. I'm hoping that a base/cloth GT/PP car might be under the '13 Boss sticker, but MagnaRide will definitely add over the current PP prices that I haven't been watching. I doubt that will be the case. :-\

Grant 302 said:
Agreed. I'm hoping that a base/cloth GT/PP car might be under the '13 Boss sticker, but MagnaRide will definitely add over the current PP prices that I haven't been watching. I doubt that will be the case. :-\

The GM competitor to a GT/PP2 would be the Camaro 1SS/1LE, which comes standard with MagnaRide, 6-piston front/4-piston rear Brembos, leather trimmed Recaros, Tremec 6-speed with improved short throw shifter, electronic differential, very large forged wheels and Goodyear Supercar tires, heads up display, special track modes on the traction/stability control, the usual spoilers/splitters and external/internal trim changes. The MSRP is $44,400, but there are already deals flying around to get them for about $41K.

The only option people really need to decide on is the Performance Data Recorder for $1300, which is a really cool integrated video cam that makes videos showing speed/RPM/g-forces, steering wheel angle, track map, etc. You can google some examples, it is something Ford needs to offer.

I would think the Mustang would have to be in that ballpark.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel