The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2018 Mustang Updates

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Austin
Grant 302 said:
^Those wheels would work for me. I hope those are the Performance Pack wheels.

The Ford site describes the wheels as "19" Luster Nickel-Painted Forged Aluminum Wheel"

There's a youtube video where they are showing off a car with those wheels. It has the Performance Pack because you can clearly see the 6-piston calipers and new Michelin tires on them. My guess is that they are optional on the PP since we've also seen the carry-over black mesh wheels in some of the pics. The Camaro offers a set of forged wheels so I guess Ford needed to erm...pony up. :)

coboss said:
The GM competitor to a GT/PP2 would be the Camaro 1SS/1LE, which comes standard with MagnaRide, 6-piston front/4-piston rear Brembos, leather trimmed Recaros, Tremec 6-speed with improved short throw shifter, electronic differential, very large forged wheels and Goodyear Supercar tires, heads up display, special track modes on the traction/stability control, the usual spoilers/splitters and external/internal trim changes. The MSRP is $44,400, but there are already deals flying around to get them for about $41K.

The only option people really need to decide on is the Performance Data Recorder for $1300, which is a really cool integrated video cam that makes videos showing speed/RPM/g-forces, steering wheel angle, track map, etc. You can google some examples, it is something Ford needs to offer.

I would think the Mustang would have to be in that ballpark.
I wonder how long before the Data Recorders are used in court to prosecute idiots.....
sorry, I'm jumping off topic

as you were

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
"Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in"

-Michael Corleone, The Godfather, Part III.

...thought I was done with Mustangs...but...

...wouldn't the V8 with manual trans make a sweet convert...?

The only thing that seems to be missing is a diet!

Seriously, with the Camaro shedding weight on the new platform, Ford has to leap frog them to be competitive.

I hear that is on the table for the "moved up" 2020 redesign. Please give us an aluminum Mustang!

As good as the 2015+ Mustang is, I often imagine how much better it could be if it just weighed 400 to 500 lbs less. I'm looking at you, GT350. :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
four-walling said:
...wouldn't the V8 with manual trans make a sweet convert...?
That. Plus this:
[quote author=Road&Track]Starting in 2018, the Performance Package will be available on automatic and/or convertible Mustangs, a change from the previous manual-and-hardtop-only requirements.[/quote]

And throw in a roll bar for autoX and track duty...

Grant 302

LS291 said:
The only thing that seems to be missing is a diet!

Seriously, with the Camaro shedding weight on the new platform, Ford has to leap frog them to be competitive.

I hear that is on the table for the "moved up" 2020 redesign. Please give us an aluminum Mustang!

As good as the 2015+ Mustang is, I often imagine how much better it could be if it just weighed 400 to 500 lbs less. I'm looking at you, GT350. :)

I've suspected that's the reason it will be a S650. I'm hoping for simplicity sake that it's essentially the same frame mostly in aluminum...with the same attachment points for the S550 suspension and drivetrain.

coboss said:
The GM competitor to a GT/PP2 would be the Camaro 1SS/1LE, which comes standard with MagnaRide, 6-piston front/4-piston rear Brembos, leather trimmed Recaros, Tremec 6-speed with improved short throw shifter, electronic differential, very large forged wheels and Goodyear Supercar tires, heads up display, special track modes on the traction/stability control, the usual spoilers/splitters and external/internal trim changes. The MSRP is $44,400, but there are already deals flying around to get them for about $41K.

The only option people really need to decide on is the Performance Data Recorder for $1300, which is a really cool integrated video cam that makes videos showing speed/RPM/g-forces, steering wheel angle, track map, etc. You can google some examples, it is something Ford needs to offer.

I would think the Mustang would have to be in that ballpark.

I am hoping that Ford looks at the Camaro SS 1LE as the direct competitor to the Mustang GT PP and builds the 2018 MY to beat it in acceleration, handling, and braking while at least matching GM's pricing for similar content.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Grant 302 said:
I've suspected that's the reason it will be a S650. I'm hoping for simplicity sake that it's essentially the same frame mostly in aluminum...with the same attachment points for the S550 suspension and drivetrain.
That will make attaching roll cage tubes a little more challenging....

Grant 302

Fabman said:

Agreed. I'm sure you'll figure something out! At least aluminum is ductile and could be reinforced with more aluminum. Probably an expensive solution though. Still better than an exploding CF tub or other CF parts IMO.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Grant 302 said:
Agreed. I'm sure you'll figure something out! At least aluminum is ductile and could be reinforced with more aluminum. Probably an expensive solution though. Still better than an exploding CF tub or other CF parts IMO.
It's absolutely doable, it just adds complexity and cost. A lot of cost.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

The F-150 is body on frame, so it's a lot easier to compartmentalize than a uni-body Mustang.
Personally, I doubt they will go all aluminum chassis, I think they are much more likely add additional aluminum/composite components to the mix with possibly a lighter uni-body structure.
But that's just my opinion.....and you know what they say about opinions.

Looks are subjective but the only thing I'm not liking on the front is the side vents under the running lights. For some reason it makes the front end look longer. Ford is pushing the performance of the Mustang forward and that matters in my mind. I can't wait to see what the S650 brings. 8)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Fabman said:

Study up on methods used on C5/C6 Corvettes. All of them are aluminum frame (save for the Grand Sport models).

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
ArizonaBOSS said:
Study up on methods used on C5/C6 Corvettes. All of them are aluminum frame (save for the Grand Sport models).
Yeah, I started to write a post about that but figured you all knew about it already so I deleted it.
Vettes have been dealing with it for decades already.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel