The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2019+ Ford Ranger Reviews

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Very nice! The rapid red really pops in the sun and looks good on Mustangs too. About as close as we’ll get to the McLaren volcano red. :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Ford did drop the ball though on no trailer brake controller from the factory with the tow package. It is available to purchase separately though.
Yeah, it’s pretty well documented. At least there’s a solution that’s approved by Ford. Just one more thing for me to consider.

One particular member tows his S197 to the track and says it does well. This is what I eventually plan to do.
I thought there was some mention of that in another thread. Didn’t find anything specific. What track(s) has he gone to and is he coming from LA or OC or SD?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I removed a zero for you in there, hope my assumption was correct. :)
Haha... thanks!
Yeah, it’s pretty well documented. At least there’s a solution that’s approved by Ford. Just one more thing for me to consider.

I thought there was some mention of that in another thread. Didn’t find anything specific. What track(s) has he gone to and is he coming from LA or OC or SD?
He took a few pics of his car on the trailer in front of Chuckwalla. I believe he was from OC or LA.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I know 3 guys that tow S197’s with their Rangers to all of the SoCal tracks. Two are members on here. @trmkars @Oxford5pointoh

Grant 302

I know 3 guys that tow S197’s with their Rangers to all of the SoCal tracks. Two are members on here. @trmkars @Oxford5pointoh
Thanks! Must’ve been your post I saw earlier.
I’m assuming all open trailers?
Haha... thanks!

He took a few pics of his car on the trailer in front of Chuckwalla. I believe he was from OC or LA.

Good to know. Not too hard to get there from LA, but not so sure about using 241/261 to get to the 91 or 15 if coming from OC. I suppose it’d be safest for me to use the 55 anyway.

Well, after about 8K miles on the Wife's new crew cab Ranger, she still loves it, no issues, no problems. She only tows a small single axle trailer with it so the whole trailer deal is not an issue for us. Mileage has been around 19mpg, which I thought would be higher, but she's in a lot of traffic so...
Us "old folks" really like the STX package, it has the popular options over the base (alum wheels, backup screen, bluetooth, cruise, tilt, and a few other things) with out all the Star Wars BS that we wouldn't use anyway.
She is very happy with it.

Yes, I towed my s197 to a number of tracks. Also towed my cousin's 1967 big block four speed four door Chevelle!

I am super happy with my 2020 Ranger! It tows great! The I-5 Grapevine isn't an issue. Just as @67GTA mentioned there are a few more s197 owners towing with a Ranger and they too are pleased with the Ranger's abilities!

I do recommend adding some form of a helper air bag springs, change the rear leaf springs, or use a weight distribution hitch.

1624325589293.png

1624325630550.png

My s197 weighs about 3650+ and this Chevelle is just over 3,800+ pounds.

Thanks! Must’ve been your post I saw earlier.
I’m assuming all open trailers?

Good to know. Not too hard to get there from LA, but not so sure about using 241/261 to get to the 91 or 15 if coming from OC. I suppose it’d be safest for me to use the 55 anyway.

yes, open trailers.

As for 241/261 -- I am not sure of the rules for towing on the toll road, but those hills won't be an issue if they let you tow on the 241/261.

Grant 302

Thanks for all the replies, everyone!

FWIW, I’d also like to pull a small travel trailer…into a similar weight range. I’ve been assuming that an S197 on an open trailer shouldn’t be difficult if generally obeying the speed limits.
Seems more common to see mid size trucks being used to pull a lot of travel trailers in the 20-ish foot range.
I do recommend adding some form of a helper air bag springs, change the rear leaf springs, or use a weight distribution hitch.
I was thinking of using a weight distribution hitch. Stock springs aren’t enough on FX4 or Tremor?

Grant 302

I suggest checking out this thread from ranger5g:
Thanks! I guess I wasn’t looking hard enough. Looks like I have more homework to do. 👍

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
"Go big or go home" when it comes to trailer safety !! At least a 150 or better still a 250.
I agree. That doesn't mean I have not done it. I pulled a 24" travel trailer with a 1998 4.0L Ranger. You had to be ready stop at a moments notice.

TMO Supporting Vendors