The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2019 GT500 News???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would expect the Ford spec to have specific gearing but a platform with over 750hp, 3.73 gears and supposedly over 200mph capable I would not be surprised they are close. Also suggests to possibly avoid the gas guzzler surcharge. The Getrag DCT in the Ford GT can't handle the torque output of a 5.2L FI engine. The Tremec unit can.

Last edited:
In the V6L
I fully expect to see that trans in the GR500. But three gears under 1.0?

You have to look at the relative ratios, not absolute. I did a quick set of calculations - if you shift at 7000RPM in the lower gear, here's the RPM you get after the upshift to the next gear:
7000RPM in 1st drops to 4570RPM when you shift to 2nd
7000 in 2nd drops to 4882 in 3rd
7000 in 3rd drops to 5384 in 4th
7000 in 4th drops to 5472 in 5th
7000 in 5th drops to 5534 in 6th
7000 in 6th drops to 5765 in 7th

As normal, your speed is determined by final drive and tire sizes. But I'd say the top four gears are set for going fast.

DFW, TX
Probably will never be a GT500 buyer. The rear wing shown, which I assume will some sort of "R" piece, was interesting, as was the hood.

My big question is how is thing going to hookup? The GT350R 11.5" is already max width unless the make a new rear fender. It's going to eat tires, but will be lots of fun.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
The wing actually looks kind of...small. If they were going for a drag racer then there's no need for the wing. If they want a track monster, then it seems like the wing would at least equal the GT350R wing. The rest looks great! I'm digging that front bumper and can't wait to see this beast!

DFW, TX
The wing actually looks kind of...small. If they were going for a drag racer then there's no need for the wing. If they want a track monster, then it seems like the wing would at least equal the GT350R wing. The rest looks great! I'm digging that front bumper and can't wait to see this beast!
For 200mph, maybe you don't want a big wing, but I'm assuming it's useful.

I know big wings have a purpose at the track, I just don't find them...graceful or pleasing to the eye.

The curved GT4 wing and this wing fit my sensibilities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
For 200mph, maybe you don't want a big wing, but I'm assuming it's useful.

I know big wings have a purpose at the track, I just don't find them...graceful or pleasing to the eye.

The curved GT4 wing and this wing fit my sensibilities.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

That's a fair point. Aesthetics being subjective, I find the functional compromise of the GT350R and ZL1 1LE wings to be very pleasing to the eye, but I definitely get where you're coming from. Maybe they'll offer a "GT500R" with more of a road course focus.

FogCitySF

2017 GT350R
Also the front splitter looks less like an R and more like a 350 version.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I hope it gets sorted out quickly because my initial impression is that it doesn't know what track it's supposed to be on, the drag strip or the road course. That's not so good. We have a long way to go though so I won't worry about it.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel