The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2020 GT500 Blasting Up The Hill at Goodwood

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This is fun.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Am I the only one in the world that thinks tire shredding burnouts are asinine?
No. Though I did do two or three as a teen back in the mid-1960s (pretty good ones at that, with only 2-barrel 318 power). Filed under "been there, done that, nothing left to prove" ever since.

But I'd defy Vaughn Gittin to ever resist the temptation.

You do have to admire 100+ mph down a lane that looks to be barely two car widths wide between the bales.

Norm

Am I the only one in the world that thinks tire shredding burnouts are asinine? I think the sport does a big disservice to itself with these kinds of displays, just inviting more scrutiny from the enviro nuts who would love to see our sport dead.
He's a drifter and a very good one at that. He did exactly what Ford pays him to do. FWIW when he joined us at the first GT350 Track Attack he was not drifting and was doing his best to keep up with us.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
Apologies in advance for the wall of text, but I see this as a very small piece of a much bigger picture. I didn't even know who was driving the car, just saw the massive clouds of smoke and tuned out. No doubt he's very talented at what he does, my post was not aimed at him, it was aimed at a practice that doesn't really show motorsports in a positive light to a very large and growing group of people. I think Ford are doing themselves a disservice promoting their product like that.

This stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum, there's lots of people who will use these displays to further their anti - auto agenda successfully. Can't you picture some enviro-nuts showing that video to some group of lawmakers to demonstrate the evils of autos? Having worked in government for most of my life I've seen how pressure groups take a seed and turn it into an oak and the results of that effort are often not pretty to a particular industry. Certain "enthusiast" groups in this province have managed to get us saddled with a bunch of anti-performance vehicle laws, such as making wheel spacers illegal, thanks to the ridiculous things they're doing on the street.

It's probably less of a concern south of the border, but in my country with the current political atmosphere it's a real concern to anyone who's been paying attention lately. We just got hit with a meaningless carbon tax and this kind of display will just convince the enviro-nazis they're on the right track and need to redouble their efforts.

I care about motorsport, a lot. It's been with me since I was a child and these days it's about the only thing I have that helps me get through some of the worst days of my life. I am very concerned about the future of stock car and road racing. I have long justified motorsports to naysayers as being good because it improves the road going breed. It's getting harder and harder to say that with a straight face now, especially given this type of thing where it's hard to demonstrate any relevance to what John Q Public does with their cars on a daily basis.

Just my humble opinion, and we all know what they say about opinions, they're like arseholes, everyone's got one and they all stink. Though I did just get out of the shower.....;)

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
JDee

Its all good. :)

I worked for a Canadian firm, have a few Canadians who still talk to me. Not sure why?? LOL. Most were denied medical coverage because the worked "Out of Provence" for more than 30 days. They would go home from Afg or Iraq and have to Pay cash for a medical visit. Apparently free medicine also has a FEW issues.

Agree that the Enviro-Nazi's can be a challenge regardless which side of the border you are on. They tell me I am ruining the environment because of the Carbon Footprint my vehicles have. They drive to their offices in their Prius, look at their two house plants, one on the desk at work and one on the window sill at home and preach. Of course, My wife has planted over 200 trees, a few acres of sod, bushes and other plants at our home. We ain't Carbon neutral, we are to the good side of neutral.

Come on down some time and play cars with the great unwashed Mericans sometime. Glad to have ya!!:)

Believe it or not I never did a burnout in my Boss or my 442. I know it adds unneeded stress to the drive train. My buddy broke a u-joint during one in his vintage Road Runner yrs ago. Tire companies love for you to do burn outs! The average burn out uses up over 5000 miles of tire wear.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
JDee

Its all good. :)

I worked for a Canadian firm, have a few Canadians who still talk to me. Not sure why?? LOL. Most were denied medical coverage because the worked "Out of Provence" for more than 30 days. They would go home from Afg or Iraq and have to Pay cash for a medical visit. Apparently free medicine also has a FEW issues.

Agree that the Enviro-Nazi's can be a challenge regardless which side of the border you are on. They tell me I am ruining the environment because of the Carbon Footprint my vehicles have. They drive to their offices in their Prius, look at their two house plants, one on the desk at work and one on the window sill at home and preach. Of course, My wife has planted over 200 trees, a few acres of sod, bushes and other plants at our home. We ain't Carbon neutral, we are to the good side of neutral.

Come on down some time and play cars with the great unwashed Mericans sometime. Glad to have ya!!:)

Oh NO!!! Don't get me going about the state of our health care system up here! Free it ain't (eats half the provincial budget in Ontario), and good it ain't either! I just spent 7 years deeply embedded in it and most of what I saw was really bad, there's no question the nickel and diming that goes on with diagnostics cost my wife her life.

I did the carbon friendly thing years ago too, lived in the middle of and looked after 100 acres of bush, my personal carbon sink. These days, not so much, small town urb on a postage stamp sized lot. But I did plant a bunch of really nice maples and oaks that piss my neighbours off mightily every fall as they shed their leaves!! LOL!!!

Thanks for the invite, love to come down there and play cars with you guys, it's in my plans for down the road. Just need to get some ducks in a row and I want to do sort of what Kona Bob is doing, though likely not quite as extensive as his outstanding effort at least initially. Have only run Watkins Glen south of the border and that was a long time ago, need to expand that and hit some of the iconic tracks in the northeast/midwest.

We could have a whole other thread on the climate change topic but we won't. :eek: Or maybe we should?

I did some research on this and delivered a presentation on this subject right before I retired. Nothing deep but the bottom line is there are too many people. With the population expected to rise from approximately 7B to 10B by the end of this century, and most of that on the African continent, there's no way we're going to reduce our carbon footprint during that time. Whatever we do will be completely offset by that population growth and then some. We should be spending all of our resources on making sure that growth is powered by renewable energy and not worrying about what we're doing individually. We should all do our part to minimize our footprint but it's not going to save the planet.

Climate change is only in the imaginations of some if you ask some folks or a certain reality to others.I, for one, see our planet getting warmer and stormier as tyme goes on.....Good thing the Boss has AC......................

TMO Supporting Vendors