The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2020+ GT500 Carbon Ceramic Brakes - update

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
So, if you're interested in a new GT500, you've probably followed @50Deep's thread on changing his front GT350 brakes over to GT500 brakes. They're massive in every sense of the word. The front rotors weigh in at 42 or 43 pounds EACH, depending on which post you read.

This is the perfect application for Carbon Ceramic CCB brakes. And, it turns out that Ford has enabled that from the beginning by selecting rotor sizes that are already available for other cars in CCB. The front 420x40 CCB rotors are optional on MB, Bentley and Audi vehicles and the rear 370x30 carbon rotors are in the Audi supply chain as optional fitment on the RS7.

I've checked in with RacingBrake, the folks who made my GT350 CCB's, and they say that they'll be ready to produce direct-fit, no modifications required, front carbon rotor replacements for the S550 GT500 as soon as they get the mounting layout and rotor offset dimensions of the OEM rotor. Apparently they've already put up a GT500 product listing on their site and they're already getting inquiries from folks with GT500's on order.

The weight of the front GT500 CCB replacement rotor will be around 19 pounds, a saving of 23 pounds or so. That's a lot.

The rear CCB rotor will come in around 11 pounds, so the saving will be less - I'd guess you'd save 7 to 10 pounds but since I don't know what the rear OEM rotors weigh, it's a wild guess at best.

In the V6L
There's a price on their website - I'm not going to post it here - if you go to the RB site, use the search box to search for "GT500" and scan through the list (search results will include an extensive range of parts for the S197) to find the 2020+ listing.

In the V6L
I thought I'd update this thread. It looks like RB has gone all-in on the new GT500. Here's what's up on there now:

Carbon Ceramic direct-fit rotor kits - front and rear listed - saves 23 pounds per side on the front and 9.1 pounds per side at the rear. That's a hair over 64 pounds in total if you do both axles.

Iron direct-fit rotor kits - front and rear listed - saves 10 pounds per side on the front and 3.5 pounds per side at the rear. 27 pounds total.

Ventilated stainless steel replacement pistons, replacement seals with standard dust boots or high-temp dust boots are available for the OEM front calipers.

To be clear, by the way, I don't have a commercial relationship with RB. I just like their stuff. They're a lot like MGW and Caliperfexion - small businesses run by good people that do excellent work.

Haven't been here in a long time. First thread I browse and I see the comments you made in the post above this.
Thanks for the kind words, you're a gentleman, somewhat of a rarity these days.

TMO Supporting Vendors