The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2020 GT500 VS Porsche 991.2 GT3 RS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm not too surprised by the outcome. Well wait I am a bit. Anyway this is impressive. Our friends at Ford have really delivered this time around.

Ok ok. First of all. Great video. Jason is great. (Also the girl in White..just saying)
Back to reality
I do want to analize the timing.

1.55.72 in chuckwalla.

Some facts.
It is fast...but not incredible fast.
This gt500 ,i think is the carbon fiber model so the fastest.

@ArizonaBOSS is faster. Like 1.2sec faster. Yes is a race car and drew is great driver but way less power than a gt500( half power drew?)

Recently
william chen did with a camaro ss1le STOCK 1.57 manual. Stock. No fancy tires.

I did ,my first and only time there, with a pretty stock car gt18 10speed ( 285mm re71 better pads and some bushing) 2.00 flat (also focusing attention on the water spray system created few days before).

My point is..
Yes it is a great car.and beautiful. No I'm still not impressed especially for what it costs( and yes i include the mark up the dealerships are doing everywhere)

What you guys think?

Ale

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Bay Area
@flyhalf THE GIRL (YUMMY) Back to reality. I agree with you. Car is great looking and in the tests it seems like a potent track weapon. But how many times has it done a 20-25 min session with a fast driver? The GT3RS is already a proven track weapon many times over. Let's just sit back and see if FORD did build another full on track weapon out of the box. BUT... If they did why would they keep the GT350 in production? I hope they did but I would not put my money on it.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No argument that Drew is major quick, but the key here is what was done between the GT3 RS and the GT 500 on this day. Drew , and many of the rest of us ( who have raced for years ) will tell you tracks change from day to day, and often a lot. We had some guys frustrated at Hastings last year because they seemed to be running about 2 seconds slower than the year before ( it had rained heavily on the track during the event) , yet a similar event was run by Vipers last June and everyone was thrilled because many were running 1-2 seconds quicker - in fact the track record for a closed door car was set.

All I am stating, is that the these two machines are damn near equal on a track , on the same day ( same conditions ) with a mega talented driver and that is pretty dramatic!!

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Don't worry I'll go faster than that next time ;)

I think these are amazing dual-purpose cars for people that can't have a full-on race car.
Yes there is always the X + $$$$$$$$$ in mods argument, but it's tough to beat what they provide out of the box for both street comfort and track terrorizing.

That being said--I can't afford either one and a race car at the same time.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Considering all the cool stuff you have done to your RaceCar, I can imagine your predicament. I am only about half way to your level of modification and I can't even afford a Focus right now, ha.

You guys are a rough crowd. Comparing a race car to a street car is pointless. Bill and I both saw a GT500 run all day at MPH in mid 80 temps and I'm confident it's capable of running without overheating. Has any magazine or review even mentioned a GT500 overheating? Go back and read the early reviews of the C7 ZR1 and you'll see the same reviewers overheated that car in like two laps. For a better comparison look at the 991.2 GT3 RS lap times at LS. LS is probably a bit "faster" of a track than Chuckwalla and I would expect the GT500 to be faster on a "faster" more high speed track. The GT500 is going to be in some pretty fast company.

https://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna-seca-post-1988

I want to point out again. It is a great car there is no doubt. Especially for a car with dual purpose
Let's say i give randy my car. A dual purpose normal 5.0.
He will probably put down a 2-3sec lap faster than me AT LEAST. So 1.57-58
. Yes you dont use full throttle a lot in CW. But you need fast acceleration cars to use the small straights between turns and also good braking system and 80-100mph turns where you do feel Aero balance and DF.
So the gap now is reduced. a lot.
Question is: from a track prospective, are we sure that almost $100k difference between gt500 and a pp1 is worth 1.5-2 sec a lap gap?
I like to play devil's advocate here. Cause I have doubts but I'm ready to change my opinion.
Next test we all wait for is laguna seca now..

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Chuckwalla (despite its appearance) is a momentum track. And Laguna (also despite its appearance), is a POWER track.
So I'm thinking the 500 will be VERY quick at Laguna.

I have to agree with Bill on this one. Same day and same great driver and the GT500 was less two tenths of second behind a new GT3 RS. That’s pretty damn incredible! What does one those run? 250k? There’s definitely no shame in getting whipped by a 812 superfast in the 1/4 mile. What’s one of those 500k? I had the opportunity to attend the GT500 Track Tour and have no doubt that it can run much quicker than it did in this drag race. For a Mustang even if it is an almost six figure Mustang to be compared to cars like these performance wise is pretty wild. I don’t expect to hear about them overheating on track. I got the impression that Ford put a lot work into the air flow and cooling. Now if you’re just strictly talking money. Bang for buck does anything beat the laps times of the Camaro SS 1le?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
JMO, but the drag race portion was pretty dumb and should have been left out. CVR doesn’t have a prepped launch pad. And any of the cars run would do better at Irwindale which isn’t that far away. They might as well have gone from a roll. And I HATE roll racing.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well , Coz , I guess you are right, I probably should be an Explorer and check out my other options. Right now the Fusion of time and money are not on the same astrological plane , Taurus is not aligning with Aquarius. I guess I will have to try to Flex my bank accounts, but at this juncture the RaceCar is first , so may just have to take your advice and have a relaxing Fiesta anyway -- party on, Dude.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dateline MPH ( 2018 ) --- good friend takes out his ZR1 and a bit over 4 laps later he overheats. Sells the heatsoaker and joins the legions who say they owned a hot Corvette --literally.

Guys , the Ford Engineer who drove the GT 500 all the way from the Dearborn area, hammered the Hell out of the car an all day in his group. He ran in a couple of other groups to give a few people a ride in the beast during a very warm day. The car did not overheat, and frankly 99% of the folks will not be right back on track like the GT 500 was giving rides, because they will have to wait till their specific group's turn comes back around. VoodooBoss is on the money, the car is a shocker and it was designed for Track use and not just as a Dragstrip Monster ( like in the past).

Lastly , stop for one second and ponder this thought, the GT3 is a car with decades of improvements in a similar chassis and the GT 500 is a mega departure from it's prior 500 brethren. Thank you Blue Oval Speed Services ( B.O.S.S.) for following the lead of the stellar track beast GT 350 and making the sibling into an actual Supercar with All American roots!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel