The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2020 GT500 vs ZL1 1LE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I can't remember, but doesn't the automatic add some more weight on the already porky ZL1? I can understand that it will make the car faster in acceleration, but are the downshifts that good on this auto?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agreed Tyme, it will definitely be a run of Beauty against the Beast. The Chubby is just buufuggly! Someone at GM got caught using the Cowcatcher design Lexus grill and grafting it onto the Camarohhhh!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Lets puzzle that out...hmmm , paradox??? Oh, yeh answered with our souls??

Got it , that was muttered by two Doctors of Podiatry, wondering about how to repair the pain in a patient's soles.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I kind of prefer the ZL1 in the looks department. The aero is integrated more seamlessly. The GT500 has three "steps" on the front. It's got the "fangs" that end in wingding things, the main splitter, and then the spat/splitter combo under that, and then two splitter things on the side under the existing side splitters/rockers. Dang bro, we heard you like splitters with your splitters, so we got you some splitters with spats for your splitter so you can spat while you split. I have the same issue with the GT350 though. Why not just integrate all that together? I get that it provides some options for different people (Track Pack, etc) but sheesh. Now get off my lawn!

Depends on what type of suspension will be in the GT500. If it's track worthy stuff like the DSSV shocks, then the GT500 will eat it for breakfast. If it's just the regular Magride stuff, I would imagine it's more of a competitor to the plain ZL1.

I like them both but I don’t think the Shelby will a light weight either. The ZL is a great performance bargain as long as dealers don’t start with the adm nonsense.

The Shelby will be priced out of reach for most due to ADMs which are as sure as rain coming.

No adm I buy the Shelby. If huge adm and I can buy a new ZL at msrp, then sorry Ford there will be a ZL in my garage.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Pricing is out...$70K to start, up to $95K with "all the fixins"...then add in ridiculous dealer markups.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a...Mge_f0i6y9kPByM_O-gXVWavMob5GSClFHSKpURjx_Qfo

"This 760-hp beast costs more than both the 650-hp Camaro ZL1 and the 797-hp Challenger Hellcat Redeye."

Shouldn't that be: 'This 760-hp beast costs more than either the 650-hp Camaro ZL1 or the 797-hp Challenger Hellcat Redeye'

Or does the author mean more than both after likely ADMs? :rolleyes:

TMO Supporting Vendors