The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2020 Mustang GT350R Reviews

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
If anyone is planning on getting a 2020 GT350R and would like it to be reviewed, I am available...

What a guy!!! LOL

I took mine out a few weekends back. OMG, she do move. Road hazard warranty? Who needs one of those. Well..... a screw in the right front cost me $500.00.

In the V6L
...I took mine out a few weekends back. OMG, she do move. Road hazard warranty? Who needs one of those. Well..... a screw in the right front cost me $500.00.
Was this phrase above about something automotive? It's not clear, although $500 sounds like a lot, but then everything else you've said might just make it worthwhile...;)

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I took my 350R to autobahn. I picked up a screw in the right front tire. Tire is toast. IF I had road hazard on the tire I would not have the $500.00 replacement cost.
Otherwise, it was a fantastic weekend. Fortunately, I had a set of DH takeoffs ready to go.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
That looks a lot like your 1:39 run at Autobahn ( first time at the track ). Like MPH ( Hastings) , a sub 1:40 run is considered knocking it down, and for your first trip to this beautiful Joliet facility , you were rocking and rolling that new GT350R!!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Having seen the GT500 at the #9th Annnual Mustang Roundup, I am pretty sure the participants will tell you the GT500 will be quicker and be a major surprise to the competition!! The Ford Engineer who brought it down was running quick laps with Michelin Pilot 4s tires since he needed to get back to Dearborn on tires that might need to work well in the rain. With a proper set of PS2cups or R7s , we are going to see some sterling laps with the Supercharged Monster.

There are many of us who love the super high revving V8 of the GT 350 , so believe there are buyers for both models, even though the new GT 500 was purposedly focused more on track prowess than in the past( thanks to some of the Engineers we all know and love). There will be those who want the 6 speed Tremec, the 8250 redline, and the lower weight of the GT 350 , and will opt for that platform , regardless. Porsche has the Twin Turbo 991 , a super potent machine, yet there are those old fashioned purists who want to row the gears and a GT3 pushes their button. I think the two models of the Shelbys , meet a similar profile, and I expect the consumer demand to show both have a place for enthusiast buyer?!

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
The pic is from Sunday. So it is likely from the 1:39 run. Once I learn the track it should be real fun. :)

I really enjoyed the fact that the only issue I had with a bone stock car at its first day was a screw in a tire. Ford dun guud. :D

And here's another one. Big question is which will be better, not necessarily faster, on track? The GT350 or GT500?

https://www.autoblog.com/2019/10/15/2020-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350-first-track-drive-review/
The more time I spend on the track driving different cars, the more I realize that weight is the enemy. I don't remember if you were part of the discussion with Todd Soderquist at Mustang Roundup concerning the GT500, but he specified that the GT500 was designed as a grand-tourer with track capability, while the GT350R was designed specifically as a street-driveable track car.
The 200+ difference in HP/torque numbers would give the GT500 the lap time edge on all but the tightest race tracks. But to me the GT350R would be much easier and more fun to wring out the best lap times because it handles like it's a much lighter car than it is.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
But to me the GT350R would be much easier and more fun to wring out the best lap times because it handles like it's a much lighter car than it is.

Yes, he also said the track enthusiast car is still the GT350. Hopefully that means that it will still be produced for a few more years.

Good discussions, I agree. BUT. Don't tell my wife. I am trying to convince her I need a GT500. LOL. :D

TMO Supporting Vendors