The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Oct

2020 Mustang Roundup , the 10th Anniversary

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would say you could get this done for alot less than that, as this is a time trial type event , and costs are quite reasonable in Nebraska. Keep in mind the main cost you are asking about is contracting shipping, and there is a good chance it would be around $750 each way. So you have $1500 for that, but putting your track tires in the car and driving out yourself just saved you $1500 bucks. I have no idea on what Vintage Racing entails , but I have never spent 6K for a weekend of racing and the Mustang Event is actually quite a bit less than a normal track weekend since it includes meals. I usually budget $200 for meals when I race in Topeka or Hastings with NASA, but even with rooms , fuel , etc. I have never approached such a high figure. I know guys who drive in or trailer and they don't hit $1000 with fuel, room , etc. When you have lunch and dinner it cuts down on costs a lot, and if the crazy guys from Missouri show up they bring so many cans of cereal malt beverages , your beer budget is quite low, ha.,ha.

Fuel in Nebraska currently is around 2.09 in many places, rooms in Hastings usually run from $60-140, and everything is close to get too. Part of the reason 80-120 Mustangs and Fords show up is it is a relatively cheap track/car show weekend. We all know track time is not inexpensive, but compared to many places MPH ends up being a bargain. It is a bucket list event too , as close competition, Tech Talks with Ford Engineers, often new Blue Oval product debuts, parties, Bacardi Bus Rides, Food Bank for the Heartland Backpack Auction, and more bring many back year after year. One of my favorite parts of the event is one often finds out what new product is working the best, what is the new tire set up, and has anyone discovered any new speed secrets. Good example , last year, was the fastest GT 350 was a 2019 on 200 TWR tires , but they happened to be 325s squared. Outran all the other GT 350s and Rs , even those on stickier rubber. Just one example of real life situations and advances one finds out when there are 50-65 running on the track. The Car Show can be fun for many , because , depending on the year we have seen guys show up with Boss 429 survivors, Boss 351s, Boss 302s, Mach 1 428 Cobra Jets, Shelby Cobra Continuation beasts, Pantera, etc.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Don’t know if Nebraska was chosen as “the” location as much as it just morphed into the annual event, from what I understand - I could be wrong. It might not be as glamorous as some of the other high profile tracks but it’s a fun venue and pretty central.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dear 95 Cobra ...............the funny thing is the list of nobodies who like to run in Nebraska would include ;

1.BlackBoss
2. Winner of Ultimate Street Car Challenge
3. One Lap of America Class Winner
4.Gary Patterson - President of Shelby American
5. Mike Berardi - owner of possibly the Largest Mustang Collection in the US
6. Listed in Muscle Mustang
7.Likely a total of over 25 Ford Engineers during the previous 9 years of the event
8. Surprise showings of the some of the first produced Boss Mustangs, S550s,Focus RS, GT 350Rs, Ford GT, GT 500, as well as a Tech Talk at the city IMAX Theatre.
9.Successful enough that this year celebrates the 10th Annual Event.
10. Listed among the " No Ones ," were 24 TMO members last year and that will likely be exceeded this year.

Tons of " Timed " track time, great camaraderie, meals included, parties , the Bacardi Bus, and so much more that could be listed. It is a bucket list for many, many drivers that have come from as far away as California, Florida, and New York.

States usually represented ....Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, South Dakota, Michigan, Oklahoma and Texas. Not uncommon to have folks from Arkansas, Indiana, North Dakota, Idaho,Utah, Arizona, Tennessee, etc.

Could include more, but no need as those that come once often return year in and year out because it is a riot and bucket list event.

PS- Like the early years of the event it is open to Fords and Mustangs, so we will likely have some Focus RS, Focus ST, SVO, Cobras --------like the guy that came to run his AC Cobra there when Gary Patterson was a guest . Forgot , he flew in from.................Switzerland!!!!

Last edited:
States usually represented ....Kansas, Missouri, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, South Dakota, Michigan, Oklahoma and Texas. Not uncommon to have folks from Arkansas, Indiana, North Dakota, Idaho,Utah, Arizona, Tennessee,
I must be the only one from Ct not to show up yet..Ct is a small state....I didn't think it was THAT small...I don't know if I can handle this pressure............😧

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Bob.

Come on out. It’s a good time....for car guys. If you are a party animal seeking your next weekend of beer, bad food and lies.....sorry, not your gig. If you want to see some great cars, drive a fun challenging track and meet some great folks, sign up and come out.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
TMS you are giving Bob the wrong idea , as there will be beer, but the food is really good, and we all know Mustang racers never lie, we leave that up to the Bowtie Boys and Girls.

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
Dear 95 Cobra ...............the funny thing is the list of nobodies who like to run in Nebraska would include:

Bill,
I apologize if I offended you. I am just saying that you can't get all the folks together in the middle of the country. It would cost me $6000 to get there and drive the event.

As a person that has raced Mustangs on the east coast; we have Road America, Watkins Glen, VIR, Road Atlanta, and Sebring. These tracks are noted for their long history of road racing.

Indy Racing just did a great double event on what may be the best track in the world: Road America.

Watkins Glen is an awesome place with a lot of history (they even have a racing Museum).

Road Atlanta has the Petit LeMans and a solid history. It's not like Sebring is not known in the world for it's famous 12 Hour event.
XED2EXJ.jpg

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Cobra

Being one of those nobodies referred to, I get it. It’s a long tow. I’ll be doing it from Hattiesburg MS again this year. You are another five plus hours down the road. I don’t think it will cost me $6k. If it does, Please don’t tell my wife.

Hopefully we can meet at RA, the southern one, this year or next.

TMSBOSS

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Been to all those tracks and recognize their legendary status, but when you mentioned no one wanted to run in Nebraska I thought a list of all the folks who like to race there was appropriate. This is a party, a get together , Time Trials and an autocross and fun with Ford Engineers . There actually are a lot of folks in the center of the Country who every year lock this event on their calendar. It is not trying to be a Road Atlanta , VIR, or Road America because it knows it never could be, but it is a relatively inexpensive ( as far as track events go ) with plenty of it's own charm and fun. There are guys who remember their ride on the Bacardi Bus as much as two days of their track times. I have driven far distances and I have never spent 6K to run an event , and I know you would not approach that even if you came from the East Coast. Keep in mind there are plenty of drivers that find this is a reasonable drive and it is a Regional Happening - TMO decided it was their outing for this year. Who knows, maybe there will be something in the future on the East Coast, or something on the West Coast , but the funny thing is this event has a history on TMO from year one. If you think about any event you go to, with friends running similar marquees showing up , you will have to agree 24 Genus Trackraticus TMO members is a solid number - TMO registered drivers for the 2019 event. Running NASA and SCCA , there might be 3-4 TMO members show up ( though I give Mustang owners I don't know the website's address and I suggest others do the same ). So please , I only responded to you as I figured you would be surprised at some of the folks who have shown up at the event. I only hit a few many might know , but we have had the President of the Shelby Club, TV Stations, a Mustang magazine , etc. all show up. There are events all over the US that build their own mystique and not everyone knows about them, but another good example is the largest Viper Track event is also held in Hastings.Sixty Five track Vipers show up to run against each other in a similar format with drivers coming from as far away as Arizona. They actually had to cut off registrants at 65 to make sure everyone gets tons of track time and there was a waiting list.

Most of the folks on here will go to a track event with a Driving Group , NASA, SCCA , racing school , etc. and they will hit the legendary tracks around the Country, but a model specific event , at a reasonably priced venue , with lots of benefits from Ford ,is just as important . You don't have to be at a big name facility to have fun. I know some of the tracks I enjoy the most are not often the top recognized tracks to many , but those who run them love the courses. Couple of good examples are High Plains Raceway or Hallett in Colorado and Oklahoma respectively. We would love to have you out at the event sometime in the future, but I understand your statement , I just wanted you to know TMO has history here and it was an event designed just for track Mustangs.

Respectfully,
Bill Pemberton

PS - they have run Vintage Races there many years and the guys love the town, the track , the people.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
That is fantastic, but if you came to Hastings you could sit around after the Time Trials , with a beer and tell all the stories of running your old beast. There are a bunch of us old farts who will actually know some of the guys you are talking about.

10th Annual Ford and Mustang Roundup with very recent confirmation that Trackaddicted Ford Engineers will be bringing another big surprise. September 2019 was a GT 500 running full tilt boogie around the course all day Saturday, what will October of 2020 bring?

BMO/TMO has been there or helped launch every single event from the first event. Tell all your track addicted Ford friends.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Bill,
I apologize if I offended you. I am just saying that you can't get all the folks together in the middle of the country. It would cost me $6000 to get there and drive the event.

As a person that has raced Mustangs on the east coast; we have Road America, Watkins Glen, VIR, Road Atlanta, and Sebring. These tracks are noted for their long history of road racing.

Indy Racing just did a great double event on what may be the best track in the world: Road America.

Watkins Glen is an awesome place with a lot of history (they even have a racing Museum).

Road Atlanta has the Petit LeMans and a solid history. It's not like Sebring is not known in the world for it's famous 12 Hour event.

One could make a similar argument for the West Coast, but I don’t think it has to be an argument. Hats off to Bill and the others that have made the annual event at Hastings into the event it is. Instead, I think it should be a challenge to the east coast and the west coast to get something similar put together at different points on the calendar. There’s enough local people in each to make it work, and would serve for a good excuse and bucket list event for members in other parts of the country to plan for in coming years. (Especially if they’re recently retired.....Bill!)

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
One could make a similar argument for the West Coast, but I don’t think it has to be an argument. Hats off to Bill and the others that have made the annual event at Hastings into the event it is. Instead, I think it should be a challenge to the east coast and the west coast to get something similar put together at different points on the calendar. There’s enough local people in each to make it work, and would serve for a good excuse and bucket list event for members in other parts of the country to plan for in coming years. (Especially if they’re recently retired.....Bill!)
Hey, no problem.

I hope you guys have a big turn-out with official Ford guys.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I understand , though confused about your comments, this is just a Regional Track Event that started 10 years ago primarily due to the efforts of a couple of guys on Boss Mustangs Online , the predecessor to Track Mustangs Online. Gary Gaspar ( early member and one with a ton of posts ) and others worked to make this a unique venue for Boss Mustang Owners and it has grown to encompass all Mustangs. Many have put this on their " Bucket List," of tracks to come to , as being part of this unique gathering of drivers, Ford Engineers , and Ford drivers and Aftermarket Companies , is not a commonplace situation in any part of the Country. We know individuals like you will not likely come , but that does not mean we can't reach out and politely invite you. BMO/TMO has been associated with this event for 10 years, that is a milestone year, and the company I used to work for ( Woodhouse Auto Family , which has 3 Ford Stores ) also has been a long time sponsor. Of course it is easy for those of us in the Midwest to make it here , but we have had many come from far away after they heard about it. Just think of it as another Event listing in the new thread LudaChris has set up, and hopefully more and more will take advantage of said thread to view what track gatherings are going on in their area.

There is not another track in the US , regardless of size , that has as long a relationship as the Ford and Mustang Roundup , as BMO Members actually started it, so it's DNA is 100% from this Forum. Members here invite all members because this only came about due to some of the original members so it has a Genealogy related to Track Mustangs Online.

Pretty amazing when you think about it, a track event set up for members of a Forum based on racing and track experiences , has grown and thrived and is now celebrating 10 years for those same folks. We are hoping half of all the participants this year are TMO members , and as noted prior 24 drivers were on the Forum last year.

We want folks to list all the events they go to in the new section , because many of us have found many new friends and fellow track sickos going to the Ford and Mustang Roundup, and we know finding fellow Mustang Maniacs at other events will forge new relationships with many on here in different parts of the Country.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Granted, it is Nebraska and the only reason I would want to go is for the best corn going, damn good beef and to watch just about anybody beat those dang Cornhuskers which is a rare occurrence. Oh, and to attend this great Mustang event in the heartland of America. Although I don't have a long drive (5-6 Hours from where I live in Colorado) it's been worth my tyme and money. I'm met so many really cool BMO/TMO folks and enjoyed mowing the alfalfa at Hastings that I've been making the yearly pilgrimage for a few years now. It's no COTA, RA or many of those high end rack tracks but every year I do see more and more TMOers showing up. Maybe it's not worth a six-thousand dollar investment but it is a fantastic event which i believe was born out of this site. Bill will correct me if I'm wrong on that last comment.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This site was essentially the incubator that started this event and has been a big reason for it's continued success -- obviously along with the huge impact of having Ford Engineers come to the Mustang Roundup every year with Tech Info and cars.

So need to correct you Mr. Tyme , you slayed it!!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors