The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2020 Porsche 911 Carrera Build Thread Profile - Non Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice Porsche and Mustang. You stated this is your 8th Porsche, how do you like the 992?

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
Nice Porsche and Mustang. You stated this is your 8th Porsche, how do you like the 992?
It's the best one. I took it to Werks Reunion at Amelia Island in March (everything shut down the Sunday I got home).

I traded in a 2014 Porsche 991.1 (second best and no place to store it).

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
P cars are cool, Tony. P drivers can be unique. Present company excepted, of course. LOL

I have only seen one person cone off his car at a track event. And yes, he was driving a P car. He was not driving it well, just driving it. It was a stock boxster at that.

The "Thing" about P cars that I find unique. Its hard to tell the really fast P cars from the also ran cars. There is no "Flash" like you see with Domestic cars. Until you get on track that is.

Both of these members have had or have amazing Blue Ovals. They can play in our backyard anytime. Just my opinion....YMMV.

P cars are cool, Tony. P drivers can be unique. Present company excepted, of course. LOL

I have only seen one person cone off his car at a track event. And yes, he was driving a P car. He was not driving it well, just driving it. It was a stock boxster at that.

The "Thing" about P cars that I find unique. Its hard to tell the really fast P cars from the also ran cars. There is no "Flash" like you see with Domestic cars. Until you get on track that is.

Both of these members have had or have amazing Blue Ovals. They can play in our backyard anytime. Just my opinion....YMMV.

oh id love a gt2 P........or a 918......d’you know porsche has 20 warranty issues for every 10,000 cars built, thats insane build quiality.

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
...The "Thing" about P cars that I find unique. Its hard to tell the really fast P cars from the also ran cars. There is no "Flash" like you see with Domestic cars. Until you get on track that is.

The Porsche cars have a long history of winning long endurance races.
Porsche's racing
heritage has been built through success at the 24 Hours of Le Mans, where Porsche went on a run to win the 24 Hours of Le Mans from 1981 to 1987, and no less than a total of 16 times up to 1998. No other manufacturer can even come close to that record.

I got my introduction to Porsche over 30 years ago in vintage racing. They were not as fast on the straights at Road Atlanta and Watkins Glen, but they made up for it in the turns. They rarely broke when maintained properly. They were very competitive.

I am a Ford guy. I've owned over 20 Ford Mustangs and trucks (great tow vehicles).

I like a mistress on the side. Some strange is good. Mine is a Porsche and here is my previous 2014 Porsche 911 (it was called a model 991.1).
2014Porsche.jpg2014Porschea.jpg

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
....When ever I see a 911 I immediately think, ‘Don’t Lift’! Well you know that already.

I had this nice 1973 Porsche 911 2.7L RS replica. It weighed about 2200 pounds. The 2.7L engine with the low weight did very well. It had a rollbar, fire system, and harness. I had a fire suit and Hans device. It was also street legal.

The secret in an old Porsche is to keep the foot on the gas and use left foot braking to control it. You should never quickly lift the throttle which caused massive over-steer (you spin around in front of traffic).
73RSt2.jpg73RGJune09.jpg

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I had this nice 1973 Porsche 911 2.7L RS replica. It weighed about 2200 pounds. The 2.7L engine with the low weight did very well. It had a rollbar, fire system, and harness. I had a fire suit and Hans device. It was also street legal.

The secret in an old Porsche is to keep the foot on the gas and use left foot braking to control it. You should never quickly lift the throttle which caused massive over-steer (you spin around in front of traffic).
View attachment 16735View attachment 16736
I'd love to have an old 911 like that - one of the many cars on my list. That one looks like it would be a blast.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
My son, Ryan, sells Porsches at our Omaha Store , and I have to admit to having a long admiration for the brand. It didn't hurt that my dad's wingman when we were stationed in Germany drove a 356 and often gave me a ride - yes, I was a nuisance asking for rides constantly. Over the years various Porsches have intrigued me , though surprisingly I never owned one. I had friends with 914s, 911s, 944s , 924s, etc. and I often got to drive their cars, either because we shared the car auto crossing or because I was their Instructor at a PCA event.

The Taycan surprised the heck out of me, and the 911 Turbos have always been a lust machines for many, but I have to admit to a strong liking to the Cayman S/GT4 machines. Quick , nimble and more toss able , they meet my driving style and are a riot on a road course. I have been lucky enough to drive a couple of GT3s and that is a machine I find few , regardless of brand loyalty, don't wish could be parked in their garage.

Plenty of Mustangs, quite a few Vipers, and probably one of these days a Porsche ------ cuz my wife likes the Macan. Yeh, I know , not the one I would get , but she has not complained in close to 43 years and we have had in excess of 150 vehicles ( mostly for me, ha).

1995CobraR

Three time Champion
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Sandy Springs, GA
....but I have to admit to a strong liking to the Cayman S/GT4 machines. Quick , nimble and more toss able , they meet my driving style and are a riot on a road course.

I like the Cayman GT4 cars. They are great cars. It's just not a 911, and a 911 guy is a 911 guy. ;)

The old 924/928 cars were never accepted by the Porsche crowd. They cost the same to drive and maintain than a 911. Why not get a 911?

As far as racing or tracking a Porsche, I say do not try it. If I screw up and hit something, which is usually not my fault, a Porsche is going to be X3 more money to fix.

A Ford has many parts available after an incident. Porsche shiznit is expensive and hard to get.

Here at Watkins Glen in the guard rail:WG2012e.jpg

Parts are cheap. The paint isn't hard to match. This hit on a Porsche would have bent the tub (frame). You'd be looking for a replacement tub.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel