The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2021 Ford Mustang Mach 1 Preview

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
Sad to say, I was really looking forward to this vehicle "thinking" it was a 350 "replacement"(read new and improved), but the power numbers are an enormous letdown for me. Ford is basically telling us our 2021 track car is about the same as it was in 2016 minus 46HP, is heavier and costs more than the original GT350. :confused:

Back to the garage I go.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Sad to say, I was really looking forward to this vehicle "thinking" it was a 350 "replacement"(read new and improved), but the power numbers are an enormous letdown for me. Ford is basically telling us our 2021 track car is about the same as it was in 2016 minus 46HP, is heavier and costs more than the original GT350. :confused:

Back to the garage I go.
This is what they always do though, isn't it? They cycle through their offerings. The Mach 1 isn't going to be a true replacement for the GT350, it's just a different offering, with options to try and appease some who are interested in the GT350. It's not always a natural progression for people who want the car for a certain application (like track enthusiasts). The Mach 1 looks to be a better track option than the GT (out of the box at least), but not quite what the GT350 is/was. The GT500 is more of a specialty range topper than it is a dedicated track car. So yes, the track focused crowd is losing out a little here. For some the Mach 1 will fit the bill well enough, for others, a used GT350 will be a more appealing option. Still not a bad time to be a car enthusiast.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I personally really like the car. It's essentially a heavier 350 with a Coyote. Yes it's low on power but doesn't the 5.2 have a lot of vibration issues? I like to look at it as the most track-ready Coyote rather than a dumbed down 350. I do think it is a bit over priced though.

To a previous comment about the 18+ looks: I know looks are always going to be subjective and different for everyone but I personally like the 2018+ looks over the 15-17. I like the portions immediately under the headlights on the 18+ much better than those large fog light housings. I know I'll get some disagreeing views about this, but I honestly think the 18+ front end looks MORE aggressive than the 15-17 GTs which typically is the other way around.

PaddyPrix

If breakin' parts is cool, consider me Miles Davis
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
San Diego

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
@Fat Boss color lineup has 8 or 9 different colors, 3 stripe color options and 2 caliper color options.

In the meantime, Ford has released my theme sketch for the design so I'll post it here, as maybe some might want a cool wallpaper, or whatever.
Man that is fantastic. This thing really appeals to me. They did a great job seamlessly integrating the front aero parts. I'll have to disagree with previous statements, the 18+ front end is much better than 15-17. It flows a lot better. The 15-17 front end just seemed like a series of steps and angles that didn't flow together and tacking on the stuff for the GT350 and GT500 seemed like they were afterthoughts (the GT350 much less so and I still love them). This looks like they tried to make a coherent whole rather than adding stuff on after the fact with this edition.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
I'll have to disagree with previous statements, the 18+ front end is much better than 15-17. It flows a lot better.
I think for me it was the lower grill/valance on the 18. I thought it was the headlight shape, but looking at the Mach 1, I don't dislike the headlights. It must be the lower valance design that I didn't like, because on this one I really like the front end now. Funny how you think it's one thing you don't like about the design but then realize that wasn't it.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I think for me it was the lower grill/valance on the 18. I thought it was the headlight shape, but looking at the Mach 1, I don't dislike the headlights. It must be the lower valance design that I didn't like, because on this one I really like the front end now. Funny how you think it's one thing you don't like about the design but then realize that wasn't it.

I can see myself in one of these simply because I don't think I'd change a thing about the looks or drivetrain. Suspension tweaks are always a thing.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I like to look at it as the most track-ready Coyote rather than a dumbed down 350. I do think it is a bit over priced though.
Completely agree. This is 100% an answer to the 1LE package on the Camaro SS. The PP2 is just not at the same level as the 1LE. The step up to the GT350 was too big for many to justify - especially the R. The Shelby is just past that line of being able to comfortably buy the car and put it on the track for most - maybe the stigma of the Shelbys being collectors items down the road?

This car should be priced competitively with a nicely optioned SS 1LE. And for the premium, you get a more modern engine - that even at 480hp has the Camaro covered by 25hp. The only item on my wishlist that didn’t come through (yet?) is a DCT, but interesting that the 10 spd auto is available. Keeps my hopes alive that maybe a DCT in future years after the GT500 exclusivity has worn off a bit.

I’ve seen a few comments here about the Mach 1 being heavier than the GT350 - I must have missed that somewhere as I don’t recall seeing published weights. Anyone have actual #’s on that?

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
I’ve seen a few comments here about the Mach 1 being heavier than the GT350 - I must have missed that somewhere as I don’t recall seeing published weights. Anyone have actual #’s on that?
My assumption was that the Mach I carries a lot of extra weight based on electronics, comfort items etc. I have yet to see a picture of cloth interior, so my assumption(again) is that it may be a leather option interior only. Add in the digital dash and all the other bells & whistles not available to the GT350 and it should weigh more. Time will tell.

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Digital dash is lighter than the traditional gauges... just like your iphone is lighter than that rotary phone you used 25 years ago 😁

The interior comes with several options, from cloth comfort seats, to leather options, to Recaro cloth to Recaro leather. And the leather options don't add much weight (i think the weight difference between Recaro in leather and cloth is just under 1 lb ...).
The overall weight we had for the car when we were testing it was on par with a GT350 2018MY.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
MN
Digital dash is lighter than the traditional gauges... just like your iphone is lighter than that rotary phone you used 25 years ago 😁
I've never used an iphone, but the rotary phone my grandmother had was like 50 years ago. I'll be sure to ask her how heavy it was so I can compare.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Similar weight to a GT 350 of 2018 , and all those choices in seats, sure sounds like Master Yotah would even please Luke Skywalker with his Mach 1 flyer.

Skimp on the options, just do cloth Recaros, and we have a ILE , except it's good looking instead of being buttugly! Oh, and it has a Tremec........thank you Master Yotah!

Completely agree. This is 100% an answer to the 1LE package on the Camaro SS. The PP2 is just not at the same level as the 1LE. The step up to the GT350 was too big for many to justify - especially the R. The Shelby is just past that line of being able to comfortably buy the car and put it on the track for most - maybe the stigma of the Shelbys being collectors items down the road?

This car should be priced competitively with a nicely optioned SS 1LE. And for the premium, you get a more modern engine - that even at 480hp has the Camaro covered by 25hp. The only item on my wishlist that didn’t come through (yet?) is a DCT, but interesting that the 10 spd auto is available. Keeps my hopes alive that maybe a DCT in future years after the GT500 exclusivity has worn off a bit.

I don't see the Mach 1 being priced anywhere near a SS-1LE. An SS-1LE sticker price with PDR (performance data recorder) is $45,700 and these can be purchased at invoice (around $42K) at pretty much any dealer. Yes the Camaro has less HP, but it has less weight, a PDR, HUD, no lift shift and better brakes than the Mach. They both have magnaride, tremic and the oil coolers. I wish the Mach 1's price was close to the SS-1LE as I would like to get back into a Mustang for my track car.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I don't see the Mach 1 being priced anywhere near a SS-1LE. An SS-1LE sticker price with PDR (performance data recorder) is $45,700 and these can be purchased at invoice (around $42K) at pretty much any dealer. Yes the Camaro has less HP, but it has less weight, a PDR, HUD, no lift shift and better brakes than the Mach. They both have magnaride, tremic and the oil coolers. I wish the Mach 1's price was close to the SS-1LE as I would like to get back into a Mustang for my track car.
Agreed, the SS 1LE is great value - no doubt. The PDR, HUD and no lift shift are “neat” features, but don’t add much value to me. Rev-match is more value-add, and both cars will have that now. Front brakes are at parity, backs are “better” on the 1LE, but necessary? I don’t see the weight advantage either - no one knows what the Mach 1 will weigh, but the GT350 and 1LE are both right around 3,700#, and I don’t see much changing with the Mach 1 - we’ll see. I guess for me, if the gap between the SS 1LE and the GT350R is now closer to the 1LE side of the spectrum, that’s enough for me to stick with my 3rd generation blind loyalty to the Mustang! Bottom line, great to have choices and I’m glad the 1LE applied the needed pressure for Ford to step up their track car game on the 5.0L lineup.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel