The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2021 Tire Selection

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
Hey everyone,
Finally looking to get a set of 19x11 Apex wheels and deciding what tires to put on.
With a lot of the fan favorites seemingly going away (RS4s only seem to have a few sizes left on tirerack and the RE11s I loved are long gone), I'm struggling with 200tw tire selection.
The car is mostly street with 3-6 track days a season. I do not have a trailer or room for multiple sets of wheels and tires and prefer to run one set.

Basically, I'm wondering what the next closest thing to RS4s will be.
I'm thinking the only choice is probably Rivals, but the new Falken RT660s caught my eye.
Has anyone tried the RT660s on track yet? Or maybe something else is coming soon that I don't know about?

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Goodyear SuperCar 3 (not 3R) will be very similar to the RS4, as would the Nankang NS-2R. Both would be great options for what you want to do. The Rivals and new Falkens will be faster, but also wear faster.

- Cory

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
New Jersey
Thanks Cory
I couldn't find the Nankangs in 305 anywhere, so I guess it would be the Goodyears. I didn't even look at those previously due to a lot of bad stories from the old GT500 ones, but I suppose they're probably totally new tires from then.

...Unless someone has a lead on 305 RS4's somewhere

Apex Wheels

Race Proven, Street Approved
Supporting Vendor
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Bay Area, CA
Thanks Cory
I couldn't find the Nankangs in 305 anywhere, so I guess it would be the Goodyears. I didn't even look at those previously due to a lot of bad stories from the old GT500 ones, but I suppose they're probably totally new tires from then.

Yes completely different tire. It really is a great track tire option but it won't last quite as long as the RS4 would. I thought Nankang had added some 19" options but it looks like they stopped at 275/30-19. They do have 315/3-18 now though :cool:

Depends on what you want to accomplish. The super car is a great dual purpose tire that may fit your needs. If you care about lap times and beating your buddy I’d look at the falken, BFG or Bridgestone. The RT660 does have a 315/30-19 coming though which is a new size for the 200tw category.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
I've been impressed so far by the Goodyears. I wanted a dual duty tire to run HPDE and CAM-C autocross, which had to be 200TW. I've only been able to run one autocross and two HPDE's, but was markedly faster at both

In the V6L
...I didn't even look at those previously due to a lot of bad stories from the old GT500 ones...
Sadly the GT500 Gen 2 Goodyears got a bad rap. I did three years of track days in my 2014 GT500 on them and they were awesome. The guys who wanted to show off their 639 ft-lbs of torque from one stoplight to the next hated them because they didn't have drag-radial grip when they were cold, so they got a lot of negative reviews. One a tire-to-tire comparison, I'd say they were pretty close to MPSC2's in terms of road track performance. Goodyear is perfectly capable of making excellent tires - just buy the ones made for your use case and not someone else's.

I have seen these start showing at local track days with good reports Rated 100 like NT01 but about $60 a tire cheaper for my sizes. As soon as my RT615's cycle out I will give them a try

TMO Supporting Vendors