The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2022 AutoX season goals

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
So in CO our season has been underway. Last weekend we had a Track Sprint in the infield at PPIR. Infield AutoX set up but no cones. Upcoming Saturday is a Track Attack Driver Camp.

During the Track Sprint last week I got down to 3.5 seconds off the leader. Very happy with that as he is ALWAYS fast on race days. Dude runs a pretty peppy Evo and drives like like his hair is on fire. I did a ride along and saw some areas that instantly helped chop down my time.

This Sat is full day of school. Coaching, class room, lots of seat time. Also interested in getting feedback on the cars current feel from someone else. I think my rear is a bit tight, likely need to add more camber when I install my next round of parts (lowering springs, 6 Pots, brake cooling (have skipped a couple full size track days while waiting on the brakes), hubs/studs).

Last year (first season) was was top half, starting to scratch top 3rd with a couple top 10s. This season I'd like to get closer to top 3rd or top 10 consistently and get my average lap times down vs having 1 flyer lap and 4 meh times. Consistency is going to be a focus and that means more routine "oh crap oh crap oh crap" laps, not just sunday driving till I wake up. Fully expect to run multiple classes so that likely doubles seat time per weekend. My main "complaint" is the class RA is any RWD vehicle that is 12:1 or more LBs per HP so there is a lot of variety.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
I just have to ask, what tires are you running? Also, do you have to run the width of wheels the car came with?

Track Attack really doesn't have a lot of restrictions. HP / weight is the biggie, actually the only rule which I am fine with for now. I am on RE-71Rs now, on the 18x9.5 wheels. Moving to 18x11 sometime this summer.
Rocky Mountain SCCA is much more rule focused, so when I show up, I'm CAMC for now. And considering the class is dominated by guys in built GT350s etc, if my little S197 on 11wide wheel can run with them... well. :) And frankly, Im still just having fun and learning, I don't want to be mired in rules. Personal growth this year.

Screen Shot 2022-03-16 at 10.08.50 PM.png

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
You will have to go with something else anyway since the Bridgestones are gone, but don't be too hard on yourself as an S197 won at Nationals last year. Lower weight and rules that are pretty much wide open means you may find yourself in better staid than you think. Some big fat meats and some other things and who knows, but as you note, right now is just fun time but don't sell yourself short. You would easily drop a second or two ( minimum) with a set of 315 A052s , and that is always the second weapon at any autocross -- tires. Sure there are cars with more HP, but there are so many other things that balance that out otherwise we would not have Miatas cleaning so many competitors clocks!

TMO Supporting Vendors