The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!
Sep

2022 Fast Ford & Mustang Roundup XII by Motorsport Park Hastings, Sept 16-18, Hastings, NE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stanger58

Owner / Lead Instructor / Driver Coach

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This is the Mustang Event of the Midwest and for many of us it is the " Event of the Year . " The big plus on this event is it can provide instruction if wanted, the laps are timed, there are Classes for almost all Mustangs, a bunch of Boss 302S factory Race Cars show up, there may be a GT4 this year, Ford Engineers come and do a tech talk and run with us, there is an " Awards Banquet " for all the participants, there is a great little " Car Show " where some rare old Boss Mustangs and others have been known to appear ( think Boss 429 for example ) , some folks find that after the races a party is a necessary requirement and it always seems to occur, likely a trip to the Klapp Museum ( tons of cool cars ,memorabilia , etc ), probably more GT 350s show up to run than anywhere except a major Mustang Club Event, sometimes we there are Cobra Rs who run, some FR500s show up, .............well, you get the gist , tons of Mustangs from all years attend.

Fun to be able to see what your car will do, real timing, and what better place can you go to get ideas about how to make your car handle better than an event devoted to tracking all years of Mustangs. You may get together with 2-4 other Mustang drivers at track events around the Country, but how about 50-65 drivers??

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Why thank you TMS, I owe you a beer for that important public announcement!! I also forgot to mention there is race fuel just a 1/2 mile down the road at Pump and Pantry. It helps the owner of those Stations is a gearhead, has a Mustang he runs in American Iron , and listened when a bunch of us asked for some high octane racing fuel for our Ponies!!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
This event has been surprising as there have been times with 8 Boss 302Ss, 5 GT 350Rs, too many GT 350s to count, a slug of GTs, GT 500s of all years ( 2019 saw Ford bring a GT 500 down and flog it endlessly but they could not slow it down), a few years we saw 3 Cobra Rs, and SN95s, some Fox bodies and some FR500s too. But we do want to remind folks this is Fast Fords and Mustangs so tell your friends with Focus RSs, Focus STs, Fiesta STs, Focus SVTs, etc., because the newly paved track is a fun place to learn and practice your skills.

I am hoping we see some of the older beasts this year that we had in years past , some 60s track Mustangs, a wicked old Cougar that whipped up on some new machines, and even some wild British Fords like a Cortina, Sunbeam Tiger ,or.........or some of those funny little AC Bristols that somehow morphed into something called a Shelby AC Cobra!

Do tell your friends as it will primarily be a Mustang party like in years past, but there are some fast Fords out there that often surprise others -- Focus RS is a perfect example!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Great event, and the best place to learn plenty about recent mods, hot new tire set-ups, etc., since virtually everyone there is running a Mustang. The best thing going is the track is newly paved , super fast and very easy on rubber.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
As I mentioned prior , when I was at the " Viper Rendezvous " this June ( an event similar to the Mustang Roundup ) folks were running 2-5 seconds faster than in previous years. Nice to have a fast Mustang Wrangler gallop his Voodoo Horse around MPH at serious speeds, and report the same information -- the repaved track is " FAST!!" Check out racemph.com to sign up for the September Bucket List event. For those of you who are seriously competitive Trackrats you can get in some practice by signing up for the Central Region NASA event the 27-28 of August. I will be there running and Instructing since we all know as you get older and slower you just, Coach, haha. Seriously, I have thousands of miles on this track so even if I can not instruct each of you, and can give you some pointers.

I know plenty of folks who want a hand up on the Competitors at the Mustang Roundup, and if you are one of those Mustang
Maniac Tracksters, check out drivenasacentral.com to run this August. I hope to see some of you there, also.

Here is a short video of the new surface. I'll use the famous Bill saying, "I was on junk tires," but these were end of life and corded two of them during this session. So there was plenty left on the table.
Anyone use Harry's Laptimer and are able to get the overlay to work off an Iphone using a Hero8? I can view the overlay in the app with the video, but when I export it never shows. Tried downloading twice, and then just pulling video from hero to the phone, and cannot get the overlay to stick.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Was Lohdia out there running in his ACR-X? So you are fast on " Junk Tires " too, haha. Thanks for posting the video and I am sure you have helped many TMO members decide to make the Mustang Roundup since the new payment is so smooth and fast.

Was Lohdia out there running in his ACR-X? So you are fast on " Junk Tires " too, haha. Thanks for posting the video and I am sure you have helped many TMO members decide to make the Mustang Roundup since the new payment is so smooth and fast.
Yes he was, along with a few other Vipers, a few from Iowa too.

I have been debating a Garmin too, with the amount of track time I have been doing the last couple years I am not sure it is worth it yet for me.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang, now I wish I had gone out there, just to see how the Mach could do against some of them. It looked like you were keeping pace well in the corners, but of course down the straights it is a different story. Get a Garmin, you have enough driving talent it will help you improve even more. Once you start getting a reasonable amount of seat time you will be dangerous. 12coboss, you do extremely well for someone who often only runs the " Mustang Roundup " as their track event for the year. Good to see you got some extra track time, and if you keep that up the Garmin will fine tune and push you towards even quicker times. I will be getting one in the near future.

TMO Supporting Vendors