The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2035, No More Gas Cars

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Let's see. Illegal exec order. Legal challenge. Trump appoints another justice. Goes through the courts of appeal. Supreme Court nullifies.

I'm pretty sure that's the sequence of events here.

Bugs

Jim. Avocation: Avoiding Blunt-Force Trauma.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Eagle ID
California has had rolling blackouts this summer because the don't have the electric infrastructure to support their air conditioners. How are they expecting to provide charge capacity for every car in their state?

I know! It's time for a bunch of those new-fangled modular nuclear power plants. Yeah - I'm sure that would go over well ;)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
15 years out makes one wonder what the Automotive Scene will look like, but I seriously doubt this will stand the Corporate and Industry lawsuits as noted prior. An interesting thought is a huge proportion of vehicles, in the future, could likely be hybrids. Innovation in this Industry has always been dynamic and I look for fun things to come in the next decade. One has to laugh about the electric grid issues in Cali, though, as it would currently resemble an electric pandemic --- no A/C, no cars moving , everyone stuck at home because there was a Dr. McCoy type of emergency ( Capn I got no power )!

Last edited:
Ironically, the mass roll out of electric cars might be the answer to the grid problem. The grid problem is just in the evenings on hot days when people fire up their home air conditioners. If the millions of cars that aren't being used at that moment augment the grid with their battery power, that would be more than enough to cover the slight deficiency in the grid.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Newcastle, CA
Ironically, the mass roll out of electric cars might be the answer to the grid problem. The grid problem is just in the evenings on hot days when people fire up their home air conditioners. If the millions of cars that aren't being used at that moment augment the grid with their battery power, that would be more than enough to cover the slight deficiency in the grid.
If it would just cool down a little bit here on the west coast that would be a big help.

I was thinking that the mass roll out of electric cars would spur more infrastructure improvements. The increase in solar system installations should help too in residential areas. When you can easily use an EV as a battery backup power source for your house when the power goes out I'll be a huge EV fan. :)

Hmmmm....

Just have to figure out how to disconnect from the grid so the power isn't flowing back into it instead of the house. 🤔

Once someone gets that figured out EVs might just end up becoming a lot more attractive to more people.

Tesla may be involved in this in some way...:D...if this doesn't get resolved in the next 15 yrs....Cali folks will buy enough gas cars in 2034 to keep them driving for the next 10 yrs or else buy one in a nearby state..................or is that going to be banned also???.....The freedoms We enjoy in this country are slowly being taken away!!!!!!!!!!...for our own good, of course..........................My Boss will triple in value in 2035...in Cali........................

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Electric Companies will do whats needed to sell its product. Here in Minnesota 2 refineries and a gypsum board manufacturer sued to stop Xcel Energy from installing chargers "behing the meter" . The utility owns the meters. The refineries lost. Don't know what the manufacturers concerns were, maybe to much cheap off peak power being sold to the lowly consumer? I know a lot of people would be fine with the utility company owning the equipment.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I don't see the concept of plugging in so the grid can take power from your car as working. Will they pay the same price as you did for the KWs? Likely no. If they do, you will still loose because of inefficiencies in transmitting the power back and forth. Then consider the wear on the batteries. Where is the up side for the consumer in a capitalist system?

As mentioned previously...A lot more charging stations will be needed to support an increase of electric cars in the future.I don't know of any near me, but then again, I'm not needing one right now.Will we see a decline in gas stations as electric vehicles take over????...My Boss will still need ia fill up once in a while........................

TMO Supporting Vendors