The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

#2154 checking in and already in a rental!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Took delivery 10-22-11 of pw boss. Coming from a twin turbo inline 6 BMW 135i, and this car is a totally different monster, love the high revving v8 and the sound of the exhaust without the baffles. About the only amenities I miss from the BMW is the comfort access and iPod interface, thought I would miss the hid's but I changed out the bulbs in the boss to the sylvania premiums and that made a big difference in brightness and coverage.

I have thrown two cel's for misfires, one at 224 miles and another at 601, the first one was warm engine and getting on it pretty good, number two and four misfire, the second was cold engine normal acceleration, number two misfire. Ford currently has car and so far they have changed out the plugs, still misfired, emptied the fuel, I only use shell or chevron 93 octane, and they actually put 87 octane in, and they said it was not misfiring, still not happy about the fact they put in 87 octane, but my SA said they only time 93 is required is when running trak key, and I have yet to activate it. They also did the crank sensor ring re-learn and i'm not sure what else they are gonna try, they are having a hard time figuring this out and My SA said that Ford is not really sure either, anybody got any thoughts? I'm hoping to get my car back tomorrow, but in the meantime, Ford Fusion FTW!

I had a similar problem early on and it ended up being the wiring harness from the battery to the engine and connecting points had a short. They found that on my second warranty visit for the CEL problem. Once they changed that out I've had no further problems. Welcome and Good luck!

Thank God,My Boss has been running great since day one. I don't track it, but I drive it hard every chance I get...on ramps...open roads...you know what I mean. My Camaro buddy always says "there's scary fast & there's happy fast"....I feel the BOSS is somewhere in between.

:eek:Well got a call from my SA yesterday and no good news to report. After doing everything that they thought would fix the problem, the car is still misfiring randomly across all cylinders, not just the two and four. They are completely stumped as to what is causing this. They are calling in a field service engineer, but my SA won't know of a time table when one can get there till Monday. This really sucks, although I could have picked it up to drive this weekend, just decided to leave it there till they get this resolved. Depending how long they have to keep my car, I'm going try and get some complimentary oil changes or maybe a discount on trak key for the troubles, not what I expected when buying a new car.

Robinc said:
:eek:Well got a call from my SA yesterday and no good news to report. After doing everything that they thought would fix the problem, the car is still misfiring randomly across all cylinders, not just the two and four. They are completely stumped as to what is causing this. They are calling in a field service engineer, but my SA won't know of a time table when one can get there till Monday. This really sucks, although I could have picked it up to drive this weekend, just decided to leave it there till they get this resolved. Depending how long they have to keep my car, I'm going try and get some complimentary oil changes or maybe a discount on trak key for the troubles, not what I expected when buying a new car.
Bummer. Hopefully this will get resolved soon and you'll be back on the road enjoying your new Boss. Good luck!

that thing about only needing 93 for track key is not completely accurate:
with the red key you NEED 91 or better yes, but no reason why you should be stuck running 87 on the black key
you can run anything from 87 to 93 on the black key and the ECU will see the premium and give you more horsepower

(I have yet to install the trakey but still runs 93 from day 1 since APRIL for better performance and havent thrown any CELs)

anyway, best of luck to you, it happens and eventually they'll figure it out ;)

Wow Sounds like you are having trouble, it sounds like the 25K GENERAC home standby generator I paid 16k plus for with tanks etc. Worked fine since 3/1/11, then died 10/26, 100 lbs pressure, blows oil filters what a mess, new oil pump, now new engine on order, 21 hrs on it. GLAD MY BOSS WORKS FINE.
We all have to go through problems but I would cry if my BOSS had trouble.

It's been a one week today and still no car. The field service engineer came out Tuesday and ran some tests, did a road test, and left saying he would report back to my service advisor when he knew something. My service advisor just called and said he has not heard back from the FSE, and that he's pretty sure he won't hear back from him until at least Monday. I've been very patient up to this point, but honestly am starting to lose my patience. I can't understand why they cannot figure out what is causing these random misfires, makes me wonder if there is an underlying issues with these engines that Ford knows about and is trying to keep under wraps. Either way I just want my car back!

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Suggestion - Call Dearborn and start to make a ruckus. I had similar issues with my former ride (and Audi, but I think the suggestion still applies) and once I called Corporate things started to happen quickly. The last thing Corporate wants is their flagship offering for 2012 to get a bad rap, especially since they are starting to duke it out with Chevy more prominently. Good luck - I feel your pain ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors