The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

$261 to install TracKey? Seriously?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My dealer quoted me $261 labor to install TracKey. He says it takes 3 hours labor. Really? What has everyone else run into?

I had always heard that it costs $302. But as a former Ford tech., I know that it only takes 1/2 an hour or so.....so it should be considerabley less.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
302$ was the suggested price for the Trackey flash itself, the program they load into the ECU. Labor is a separate charge.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Flat rate appears to be one hour , so depending on what part of the Country you are in , it likely would cost 90-150.

Mechanics get paid on what the average time is figured at, if they are good they will get it done quicker, if they are lousy it might take them longer. The pay is the same either way, with the talented tech getting finished sooner, that is how he improves his pay.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Show the dealership the documentation direct from Ford Racing;

http://www.fordracingparts.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Customer_Instructions_V2.0.pdf

Thank you for purchasing the Ford Racing TracKey (Ford Racing part number M-14204-
MBTKA) for your 2012 or 2013 Boss 302. This document describes how to use the
features that are unique to TracKey. For the latest version of this document, please visit
www.trackey.ford.com. If you have any questions or comments, contact the Ford
Racing Techline at 1-800-FORD-788 between 8:30 am and 5 pm Eastern time, Monday
through Friday. Before calling, please be prepared to provide the VIN of your vehicle.
To install TracKey on your vehicle, make an appointment with the service department of
your local Ford or Lincoln dealer and tell them you need TracKey installed on your Boss
302. The labor time and rate for this installation is up to the dealer, but Ford Racing
recommends approximately 1 hour of labor time.

So they are either inept, or just like gouging their customers.

Since this is like the 3rd dealer type issue I have read since I last posted,my opinion on dealers, I am pasting it in again. It's just ridiculous what I read almost daily that people are experiencing at dealers. see below

I really don't care if all they sell are 5 globally of a certain car or product. These dealers/techs need to know what the bleep they are talking about and selling. I can tell you this, Ford, at least all the experiences I have had is the worst when it comes to salesman turnover, product knowledge etc. Last weekend I called a local dealer to ask if they had any 13 GT 500's in. The salesman swore they weren't close to being in production yet!!! Really. I love going in and listening to the sales pitch on a car like the Boss. Horsepower varies from person to person, I've even had a salesman say a Boss is supercharged. I had one ask what year mine was, this was in 2011 when all you could get was a 12! All this along with all the service issues with trackey and wrong oil etc. it all is just a testament to customer service in this country, not just ford. These salesman sit around idle most of the day, it wouldn't be hard to research your product. And the service is inexcusable. Putting the wrong oil in?!?!?! I'm sure there are manuals, hell we have one. So, I don't give a crap how many they sell annually. Get your crap together. This is a special product, we as customers should feel that from sale to service. But no, we deal with complete idiots most of the time that we as owners have to explain what oil our cars take, how to program trackey, etc. That's pathetic. Sorry, the truth hurts. I bought the Boss ONLY because of how it performs, I know better to expect any knowledge or service from my local ford dealers. I change my oil myself, I will do anything I can myself. Because unfortunately its actually a risk taking your car to the dealer, that's basically what you find all over this forum. And that's a DAMN shame.

I sent a copy of Ford's PDF to one of the dealer managers. I believe it will get resolved. So far, they've treated me like a king. I think it was just misinformation on somebody's part. I don't think they were intentionally trying to gouge me.

my selling dealer threw in the trackey as part of the deal but later refused to program and wanted to charge "at least 2 hours". Horrible place I took the package and my car and will never go back there again. I've now found a great dealer I wish I bought the car from them.

JonW said:
I sent a copy of Ford's PDF to one of the dealer managers. I believe it will get resolved. So far, they've treated me like a king. I think it was just misinformation on somebody's part. I don't think they were intentionally trying to gouge me.

Well hopefully you get it resolved. I noticed from my first hand experience with my dealer and from reading these forums that Trackey is just something unknown to most service departments. The dealer I bought from had to call the ford racing hotline a few times for help with it.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Jeff said:
my selling dealer threw in the trackey as part of the deal but later refused to program and wanted to charge "at least 2 hours". Horrible place I took the package and my car and will never go back there again. I've now found a great dealer I wish I bought the car from them.
yeah I dont blame you there

If the dealer threw in the "TrackKey" then that means he programs it too... You automatically get the Track Key (Physical Key) when you buy the car at no additional charge... Only charge is to program the key so it works...

I agree about the dealers as a whole... There are some good ones out there... But I know more about this car than the people selling it or working on it. I had to tell the dealer and service rep if they ever sold their BOSS (PW) that then need to disconnect the battery for 10 minutes to take it out of "Transport Mode" before they hand the keys to the buyer. This should be known by them, or perhaps Ford needs to send detailed instructions with the car and put it on the Dash "IMPORTANT, PLEASE READ AND PERFORM BEFORE SALE".

I understand that these are not "Normal" cars, and between 12-13 models only about 7,000 will be made. But that is all the more reason for Dealers and Service reps to know what they are doing on them. Especially if they plan on selling them. A dealer that doesn't sell the BOSS doesn't need to know about it... but if a Dealer is selling it they should know, or at least have the incentive to learn about it before they sell it.

Hopefully my BOSS will be here soon, and I plan on making a deal that either includes the TrackKey or has the price of the TrackKey Programming deducted from the Sticker Price.

I have heard that some people hate driving with the TrackKey as its just way to sensitive and jerky to drive in everyday traffic, but others have said they prefer the TrackKey over the standard key... Guess I find out soon...

dealer "threw in" the $302 package of paper, the one with the license key and instructions.

edit: you can buy this on-line for less than $302.

TMO Supporting Vendors