The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

285/645R18 Continental's on Sale at Hoosiertire.com

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone had experience with the GT-O compound? Terry Fair/Vorshlag said he couldn't get any heat into his tires (>110º ) and he probably wasn't putt-putting around

Bob said:
How long do these tires last compared with NT01s?

Are the tires mentioned in this thread the same as these: http://rehagenracingproducts.com/NEW-Continental-Race-Slicks-275-35-18-275-35R18-DISC.htm

I'mwith Bob here, wondering the same thing about the wear vs the NT01, in fact I have 4 in my cart right now at Discount Tire for $1237 which I think is fine for them, but if I could get two sets of the Conti's and be just as happy with grip/wear and cost - I'll give them a try!

I purchased a set of the GT-O's last summer and used them for 4 - 30 min sessions at Watkins Glen last September. Before buying them I emailed with a tech from Hoosier and he said he would buy the O's over the EC's at those prices. That was enough to get me to try them out even though I was prepared to spend the extra $$ on the EC's. That said, I have never used the EC's or Nitto's. My last set of R Comp tires were Hoosier A6'so that is what I have to compare them to. The A6's obviously had more grip but did not last very long. The GT-O's provide a good amount of grip and although I was not able to check the temps they seemed to heat up fine and easlily last the full 30 min sesssion (without getting greasy) - Runnig lap times in the 2.16 - 2.17 range FWIW. Overall wear after 4 sessions looks very good. I am expecting to get another 10 to 12 - 30 min sessions (they will likely heat cycle out before they wear out). At less than $450 for an entire set, I don't think you could go wrong with them. I'd order another couple sets if I had more storage space.

Anyone else have any opinions on how many track days one could get out of a GT-O set?

Also, how does one know when it heat-cycles out? Suddenly the tires just suck?

Yes, you will notice a drop in grip. Some tires its a gradual, but noticeable drop, some just start sucking.

I'd be happy to get 2.5-3 weekends out of a set (ie I'd have a fresh set ready to go on the third weekend just in case).

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I find with new race tires I get great times the 1st day and good times for the next 2 days. 4th day laps start dropping off and by the end of that day it gets real slow. Sad part is there is plenty of tread life left just no good performance. Once you feel how good they can be you don't want to settle for mediocre. Its like a drug, once you start running them, you just want more and more.
Steve

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Bob said:
Interesting.

Once race tires get slow... are they slower than street tires (like a PSS?)

Bob
No they don't typically drop off to the level of a street tire, for example at Lime Rock Park I've run a best of 1:02.33 on Pirell WC slick take offs, with average of 1:03.2. After 3 days (12 cycles) spread over 6 weeks they dropped off to a best of 1:04.36 and the rest in the 1:05's. I have a set of Michelin PSS on my car and ran 2 days at Watkins Glen (1.5 sec slower than my best slick times) 4 days at Summit Main (only days there) and 1 day at Lime Rock in November. At Lime Rock the best I could do was a 1:04.71 during the 2nd session, after that I could not post a time lower than 1:05.30 and most were 1:05.75-1:06.30s. It really pissed me off since pressures were good and consistent and temps were also pretty even across the tire. What I did notice was the tread was graining and tearing, I think the many cycles caused the rubber to lose grip and start to peel away. It was frustrating because I was fighting to hold line and hit apexes but the times were just not there. Pete in CT was just kicking my ass and there was nothing I could do. To me that's the sign of a set going off.
Steve

Hi Steve,

Great info, let me make sure I understand you correctly:

1) At LRP your best time on the take-off slicks was 1:02.33, and after 12 cycles they wouldn't do better than a 1:04.36?

2) At Watkins Glen the Michelin PSS was 1.5 seconds slower than your best slick times?

3) Was it with the PSS tires that you drove a best of 1:04.71 at LRP? Or was that on slicks?

I agree that cheap is good... I'm just trying to learn the cost-per-heat-cycle of these tires versus NT01 or PSS tires.

A couple other dudes on the forum here have mentioned the NT01 being the best cost/benefit track day tire.. So I'm trying to understand how these clearance tires compare, ya know?

steveespo

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Bob said:
Hi Steve,

Great info, let me make sure I understand you correctly:

1) At LRP your best time on the take-off slicks was 1:02.33, and after 12 cycles they wouldn't do better than a 1:04.36?

2) At Watkins Glen the Michelin PSS was 1.5 seconds slower than your best slick times?

3) Was it with the PSS tires that you drove a best of 1:04.71 at LRP? Or was that on slicks?
On the PSS tires at Lime Rock 1:04.71.

Lightly used or new slicks are worth 1.5 - 2.5 seconds a lap for me. The Carlos better than me, so a better driver would probably see a wider improvement.

Just got thru the first set of Contis I bought on sale. Running staggered with GTO up front (285) and GT-R at the Rear (305).

Times were typically about 1-1.5 seconds faster than Nitto NT555RII's. They held up with pretty consistent times thru 11 heat cycles (20-30 minute sessions). Fronts were down to steel band after 12 cycles. Wear rate near end of life increased quickly with 2.6 degrees of negative camber. I flipped sides after 6 cycles. One tire had even wear, down to pretty close to bottom of wear markers, the other wore Inside most, suggesting that camber isn't excessive.........

I typically get 20-24 cycles out of the Nitto's, although that was last season before the suspension upgrades, and the car is now being driven harder, and I'm only 8 cycles into the new set of Nitto's this season.....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The best thing about these tires is the price. Grip is good but not as good as PZero Slick take offs. Not bad tires just nothing special. Happy with what I got for the money.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hi!, I have seen Conti, Pirelli and Hoosier R6 and A6 take offs for sale for approx US$100 plus shipping. I was thinking of 305s for my 18x10 Drifts. In terms of tire life/performance, which one would you guys recommend? This is for 10min max time trail sessions, usually no more then 5 sessions per event, 1 to 2 events per month.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Mad Hatter said:
Hi!, I have seen Conti, Pirelli and Hoosier R6 and A6 take offs for sale for approx US$100 plus shipping. I was thinking of 305s for my 18x10 Drifts. In terms of tire life/performance, which one would you guys recommend? This is for 10min max time trail sessions, usually no more then 5 sessions per event, 1 to 2 events per month.

Pirellis hands-down, IMO.

The A6 can work OK for time trials, but Hoosiers' grip falls off with heat cycles and the A6 is softer as well, so I doubt you'll get much life out of them used.

I can't comment on Pirelli's but I've used A6's and Conti's. The A6 has awesome grip and will heat up quickly for short TT runs. In terms of life, I got 12-15 25-30 min sessions out of new sets before they corded with no noticeable fall off in grip between sessions. They did tend to get greasy after 20 min of a run. The A6's run big you will not be able to go larger than a 295 on 10" rims.

The Conti GT-O's take a little longer to warm up but last for ever and do not fall off even at the end of a 40 mon session. I have at least 16 heat cycles on my current set (bought new) and they still have at least 50% wear left. I expect that they will hear cycle out before they wear out. I'm running 285's but believe there are others that have fit 305's on 10" rims without a problem.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel