The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

285/645R18 Continental's on Sale at Hoosiertire.com

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FYI, Hoosiertire.com has the 285/645R18 GT-O Continental Extreme Contact Racing Slicks on sale for $110 each. I just picked up three sets for next year. This is a great price for new tires if your running a square setup with 10" width wheel.

I just checked the site and saw something interesting. They have the 275/35R18 EC-DR listed and then below that they have the Indy compound also listed 275/35R18 EC-DR GT-I

I am pretty sure the tires I tried in the 285 labeled G6000 are a different (softer, faster) compound, even I could feel the difference. Maybe they will making a new compound for the CTSCC cars. ???

Isn't that 285/645/18 a bit too low?
It's a 25.4 dia. tire...
Even the 275/35/18 comes at 25.6...
The Pirelli's of the world Challenge are at (680) 26.8!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
645s are fine, I ran that height all last year and will run it for the forseeable future. Depending on what tracks you run, you could run out of gear in 5th with the shorter tire, however (assuming you're on the factory tune and rev limit).

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Way to go Patrick, that was exactly what I wanted the guys running staggered to notice - should have been more specific like you were , much appreciated!!

I am ordering some 305's but I am just worried about the transit temperature,
You know slicks hate freezing temperatures: They crack!
Mavbe have to wait a bit... :)

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
No worries, especially if you chat with Jeff Speer. He is well aware and though mine are paid for he said he would wait at least till Friday to ship them out when the weather was warmer.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
patrickshelby said:
ArizonaBoss, did you see they have Continental 305/660/18 GT-R at $200.-?

No, but thanks for letting me know. However I just ordered 5 sets of 305/645/18 P-Zero take-off slicks so I am good until June :)

FWIW the first year we ran Indy they developed a SOFTER tire than the one they currently used. This tire then became the standard Continental tire, to my knowledge the compound has not changed. The original tire was used at Indy only the first year, then became the norm the following year. This applies to the CTSCC only, I'm not sure about the other series, they may use a different compound.

This is what I found:
"The Continentals come in four compounds, GT, GTO, GTR and GTI. The GT's are old. The GTO compound is from 2012 at Daytona. The GTI is from Daytona, Indy and the Glen in 2013. The GTR compound is for all remaining road courses. The GTR being the fastest of them all"
So to my understanding the GT-R is a soft one...
Correct?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
patrickshelby said:
So to my understanding the GT-R is a soft one...
Correct?

Based on my experience at MPH last fall, the GT-R is softer, faster and nowhere near the other compounds longevity wise to run for 3 days :)

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
The GT-O is harder. I actually liked them better (even though the GT-R was faster). The GTO would stay consistent the entire weekend whereas the GT-R fell off (significantly) after the first day and then again each session thereafter. Not saying the GTOs didn't fall off... just not as quickly.

Bill Pemberton said:
Great buy and for those running staggered , get ahold of Jeff Speer and he can hook you up with 305s -- though at a bit higher price.

Has anyone run staggered with GTO up front and GT-R at the Rear. This is the combo they have on sale (285/645 R18 & 305/660 R18). Concerned about potential understeer with the softer rear set up.........

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good question , Black Boss, but I heat up ( and use up ) my fronts so much faster than my rears it seemed like a good compromise. The O stands for Oval use ( i.e. Daytona ) and may be just a bit stiffer, but there is not supposed to be a severe difference in the actual compounding, so figured it was worth a shot?

How long do these tires last compared with NT01s?

Are the tires mentioned in this thread the same as these: http://rehagenracingproducts.com/NEW-Continental-Race-Slicks-275-35-18-275-35R18-DISC.htm

TMO Supporting Vendors