The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

2nd time oil change, 1st time diff oil change @4500miles, no mess

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engine oil change:

2nd time doing it, took the forum's advice and first drill a hole in the filter, let the oil drip out; then slowly turn the oil filter let more drips out. 0 mess, took about 15mins total for the oil filter. In the dealership if you don't tell them to do so, there is no way they will take this much care, and the outcome is inevitably a large mess of oil. When I took my old filter off, the black rubber ring on the filter didn't come off. If it is dark then it can be very hard to see, so it is important to make sure the filter is off as well as the black rubber ring.

filtermag:
can confirm the SS300 fits the filter perfectly. our engine oil system doesn't have a magnet anywhere, so I thought I will put a mag ring on the filter just in case.

diff oil change:

very simple just 2 bolts on the back on the case using 3/8''. My other car requires a diff oil change at 1200mile now i can see why. at 4500miles, the stuff that came out is a deep dark green. both the drain and the fill hole are fully covered in a layer of fine iron grain. I wish i changed mine sooner. The reason why the diff oil is green is b/c it is filled with friction modifier. the stock oil is clear yellow no smell, the friction modifier is clear green with strong smell. Manual calls for 1.5L I used a bit more around 1.8L. I have a Tech car and i highly recommend everyone change their between 2000-5000miles. On the diff it has a label calls for 75w-85.

Tranny oil change:

did mine at 1000miles. used the ATF in the pic below, same smell same color and texture as the stock one.

o5ylpz.jpg

I've been looking at the Filter Mag so thanks for confirming the size. Good idea on drilling the filter filter first. I'll be changing mine for the second time after two track days on August 25/26. The dealer screwed mine up the first time so my next change is on them. After that I'll be doing it myself. I'll change the tranny and diff fluids at the end of the season.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
I ran 75W140 Miller Oils rear gear lube in my S550 this past week at Indianapolis and Watkins Glen, in over 9 hours and 850 miles on track I only got the overheating "rear axle/reduce speed" warning twice. Significant improvement over prior experience with the 75W85 Ford and 75W90 Miller I had run before.

Also tremec in the Shelby is specced for ATF not the special lubes we use in the MT-82s so probably fine.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel