The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
Have you tried a shifter bracket?

No, but now that you mention it, that may be the better initial option.

What's the hot one out there? Steeda? JHR?

ArizonaGT said:
5 DOT 0 said:
Have you tried a shifter bracket?

No, but now that you mention it, that may be the better initial option.

What's the hot one out there? Steeda? JHR?
I have the Steeda but I got it on sale for 20% off and free shipping. The Steeda comes with medium and hard bushings. I think they all work the same so I'd get the least expensive and that's the JHR and you pick if you want the medium or hard bushing depending on your tollerance for NHV. Links are in the thread below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/boss-shifter-brackets/

bigman18 said:
When you achive greater exit speed out of 17 you will up shift to 5th way before. What gear do you select on 17?

I drove the course very different from before. I was in fifth at or before the start finish line. I enter 17 in 4 and switch to 3. I am sure with time I will refine things there since as you know there are many ways around that turn. All of Sebring is 3, 4 and 5. The only reason I even go into second is at the hair-pin with a lot of traffic. I love this track but getting seat time is there is not as easy as Homestead and PB.

Sort of on topic, as we are discussing the rear end, but how are the modern 8.8s as far as durability? I had one grenade in my Bronco (shrapnel almost a block down the street behind me, busted the ends of the axles, had to replace everything including the carrier) just tooling down the street. Ford was very good to me, as the warranty was out, and it only cost me $200 after good will to replace the whole thing, including carrier/axles/gears/hubs everything between the wheels. But I wasn't the only one that had issues with them. I have had a lot of experience with Ford trannies and I don't really have anything nice to say about them other than they are cheap to rebuild.

I know of no failures with the rear in the Boss, anything can happen with mass produced cars but many of these cars are seeing track duty and they are working flawlessly.

Good to hear. I'm sure they use a higher quality one than they did in the Broncos ;D

8.8s are pretty popular upgrades for the Jeep guys I know

MLM

Mike
2012YellowBoss said:
I know of no failures with the rear in the Boss, anything can happen with mass produced cars but many of these cars are seeing track duty and they are working flawlessly.

Generally it sounds like the rear ends are pretty bullet-proof, but the 3.55 on my wife's new GT went out at 1,500 miles (not even broken in yet). The pinion bearing disintegrated. It probably was not properly set at the factory. It failed without any warning at 60 MPH. Luckily, the car was stopped in time to prevent further damage. The dealer replaced the bearing and pinion and ring gears under warranty.

TMO Supporting Vendors