The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone considered swapping out the gears on the Boss. I have been thinking to go with the 3.55 gear to give myself a little more speed before hitting the rev-limiter on the midsized straights and also places like the front stretch at Sebring where I hit the limiter in fourth just about at the end. Since I am running smaller diameter tires I do not gain too much over the factory height but I do get a good gain over the 18's.

Thoughts?

373 NT05 (18) Stock (19) 3.55 with NT05
1st 42.81 43.90 44.98
2nd 64.74 66.12 64.74
3rd 92.70 95.08 97.40
4th 118.69 121.73 124.71
5th 156.67 160.68 164.61

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Scott.

When you get a better exit out of 16 you will be hitting around 140 before 17. Same for going into turn 7. In other words 3:55 won't gain you that much and will probably hurt overall lap times

Peter

Instead get the GT500 transmission. It has been suggested to me by Rehagen Racing and it is on my list of things to do....someday.

OLOABoss said:
When you get a better exit out of 16 you will be hitting around 140 before 17. Same for going into turn 7. In other words 3:55 won't gain you that much and will probably hurt overall lap times.

The back stretch between 16 and 17 is fine for me, as far as gearing. I have not been there in a long time but never hit 140. I hit 142 at PBIR and that is longer so it will be a while before I get to the 140 mark at Sebring.

I hit the rev limiter between 17 and 1 in fourth by the east walkover. Also between 6/7 in fourth and 10/13 in third. Most of the time (and PBIR also) it is for a very short period of time, by the time I shift and setup again for a downshift it is not worth any time.

I tried going into fourth between 3/4 and 5/6 at PBIR and it made no difference in times. I am thinking with the extra MPH there it wild help with times and less wear and tear on the car.

adam81 said:
Instead get the GT500 transmission. It has been suggested to me by Rehagen Racing and it is on my list of things to do....someday.
Big $$$

adam81 said:

I have a GT500 trany you can have. It's a little pricey, but it comes with a 2011 GT500 wraped around it.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Scott

Same thing with 17 to 1 a better exit will have you shifting long before the east bridge. I know from reading your posts you have the mod the car bug bad but the most important mod is the driver. ;)

Peter

2012YellowBoss said:
OLOABoss said:
When you get a better exit out of 16 you will be hitting around 140 before 17. Same for going into turn 7. In other words 3:55 won't gain you that much and will probably hurt overall lap times.

The back stretch between 16 and 17 is fine for me, as far as gearing. I have not been there in a long time but never hit 140. I hit 142 at PBIR and that is longer so it will be a while before I get to the 140 mark at Sebring.

I hit the rev limiter between 17 and 1 in fourth by the east walkover. Also between 6/7 in fourth and 10/13 in third. Most of the time (and PBIR also) it is for a very short period of time, by the time I shift and setup again for a downshift it is not worth any time.

I tried going into fourth between 3/4 and 5/6 at PBIR and it made no difference in times. I am thinking with the extra MPH there it wild help with times and less wear and tear on the car.

adam81 said:
Big $$$

i had the same problem at my track, but ran out of 3rd to early on some sections. a tune that upped the limiter by 500 made all the difference.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
smittytx said:
I have a GT500 trany you can have. It's a little pricey, but it comes with a 2011 GT500 wraped around it.

I'll give you $5k for it; I like the extra stuff but don't need it.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Also you can short-shift from 3rd to 4th at 7000 RPM with no real loss of momentum since 3rd and 4th are pretty closely spaced. This works if you are running out of gear in 3rd.

4th to 5th is another story.

I want to raise the limiter someday but not until the warranty is up. I had not been to Sebring for a long time and drove totally different from last time. I was shifting to 4 and 5 long before the end of the straights so it was a non-issue except for one place at Sebring where I hit the limiter in third. I still hit it at PBIR and last time I tried a shift into fourth, made no difference in lap times. The 3.55 idea is still a thought for me but I will hold off until I get more experience out there.

Bottom line for me is this trans sucks, sorry to those that have one that actually shifts. I would love to swap it out but that is a large chunk of change.

2012YellowBoss said:
Bottom line for me is this trans sucks, sorry to those that have one that actually shifts. I would love to swap it out but that is a large chunk of change.
Bummer, so the MGW didn't help your issues? Have you tried a different tranny fluid like Redline MTL?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'm actually considering the MGW despite my previous contentment with the stock shifter; this weekend I found 5th instead of 3rd at least twice. Not helpful!

5 DOT 0 said:
Bummer, so the MGW didn't help your issues? Have you tried a different tranny fluid like Redline MTL?

I did the Ford fluid swap a while back, helped with the low RPM shifts but not the red line shifts. The MGW shifter helped a lot but did not solve the problem. It was not meant to fix the internal problems with this trans and I was told that. Still it is light years ahead of the factory shifter.

The MT82 may well be a good trans but quality control is the problem, simple put some work and some do not. I was just one of the unlucky customers.

Jza1736 said:
So, is Ford doing anything to fix the problem?

I have heard but have not confirmed that there were changes made to the MT82 around August. I am still looking into answers on that. I can tell you this, my dealer did not believe me at first but now they feel there is more of a problem then just me. The MGW has made it manageable and I am not racing so I am sitting tight until somethings happens.

5 DOT 0 said:
Have you tried a shifter bracket?

Rick I did not install this myself so I did not have the ability to go through all the parts but the as far as I know the MGW comes with it's own bracket.

ArizonaGT said:
I'm actually considering the MGW despite my previous contentment with the stock shifter; this weekend I found 5th instead of 3rd at least twice. Not helpful!

This is what the MGW is all about, I now know what gear I am in! Nobody ever noticed the vids I posted from Daytona, I went from 5-4 in the tri-oval. The car almost went sideways, with this shifter it will never happen again.

I have the MGW ordered. In the Supercharged V6 Performance package car I just sold I installed the MGW. It still didn't shift the way I had hoped but was worth the trouble and expense. Downshifting was the biggest improvement as it was much more accurate. In fact dead on. Up shifting was greatly improved and I felt like I could finally power shift with confidence. At first It didn't seem like the throw was that much different but going to a stock Boss I really miss the shifter. I had the TSB done for the duel clutch fluid and noticed a slight improvement. The MGW replaces the entire shifter assembly. A better engineered rear mount is included. It has a stronger reverse lock out system and return to neutral is more responsive. After 8000 miles it seemed to shift better as if it broke in. I can't speak for Steeda, Hurst, Joe heck and Barton although users have reported improvements in all of them. I believe a big part of the issue is no doubt the internals of the transmission but the rear shifter brace doesn't help much. People have reported improvements by just replacing the rear brace. ($75.00 by Barton.)

The down side is some noise increase inside the car. Oh well if that's what it takes to make it shift better it's worth it. For those of you on the fence about the shifter you won't regret it. If so send it back.

Ford knows the transmission is faulty but they also know it will cost millions to replace all of them so don't expect them to do anything more than they absolutely have to. The National Highway Transportation Safety Board had numerous complaints and investigated the transmission issues from a safety viewpoint and I believe deemed it not to be unsafe. I am correct on that it was a huge loss for those of us that have to live with the MT 82. IMO eventually all the MT 82's will fail as I don't see them surviving high mileage. There will be a fix as a replacement or upgraded parts in time when the 11-12-13 warranties have run out and somebody can make some money off us.

Sorry to venture off track. Scott I don't think you will be happy with the 355's as the car will feel slower. IMO it needs more power.

TMO Supporting Vendors