The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

3.73 OR 3.55?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
pufferfish said:
Ah, I see. I don't trust myself to dremel out a concentric hole in hardened steel. No offense, but I wouldn't trust any dremeled out bearing job. Now a drum brake cylinder hone might be a better alternative. It would take an hour or two to get the .002" out of the inner race diameter, but it would be a guaranteed concentric hole.
lol that would work too. I think he used a sand paper flapper wheel on a drill to do his if I remember correctly.

I can tell you from what he has told me. Pro 5.0 gears are almost always going to make noise especially their 3.90 gear set. Motive gears are also a typically noisy gear set. the best set of gears to get are the ford racing gears not made by motive (they sub contracted them out for a few years. I believe they are denoted with an M at the end of the part number but cant remember for sure)

I think I have two sets of 3.31's and a spare diff out of an 06 GT laying around somewhere.

Justin said:
I just buy new bearings so I don't have to mess with taking the old one off the pinion. But as far a the other tools I found that a plastic PvC pipe and A bfh gets most bearings on. You are right though unless you have someone there to teach you don't do it yourself. Took me A few times with a good friend that had done hundreds of them to help me get it down.

that works but you still need the stock shim from under that pinion bearing. It gives you a starting point close to stock. Not all housings and gearsets are identical, they have a tolerance they work with so they sometimes require different shims.

the whole gear ratio thing for the 5.0 and the Boss revolves around the MT 82, if you look at the ratios it basically equates to having 4.88 gears in the back. Go to Tremecs site and use thier gear ratio/speed calculator, plug in the ratios for the MT 82 then do the same for the tremec 6060 or T56 and you will see the difference. the MT82 has a super low gear spread 1st through 5th, 5th being 1 to 1 instead of 4th like most normal transmissions. The MT 82 has a 3.66 1st gear where the t56 and t6060 have a 2.66 or 2.97 1st huge difference in gearing. If you are planning a transmission swap in the future, you probably don't need to change the rear gears.

With a 2.66 first gear and stock gearing, a Boss will do almost 60 mph in first gear

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
NewBossowner said:
that works but you still need the stock shim from under that pinion bearing. It gives you a starting point close to stock. Not all housings and gearsets are identical, they have a tolerance they work with so they sometimes require different shims.

the whole gear ratio thing for the 5.0 and the Boss revolves around the MT 82, if you look at the ratios it basically equates to having 4.88 gears in the back. Go to Tremecs site and use thier gear ratio/speed calculator, plug in the ratios for the MT 82 then do the same for the tremec 6060 or T56 and you will see the difference. the MT82 has a super low gear spread 1st through 5th, 5th being 1 to 1 instead of 4th like most normal transmissions. The MT 82 has a 3.66 1st gear where the t56 and t6060 have a 2.66 or 2.97 1st huge difference in gearing. If you are planning a transmission swap in the future, you probably don't need to change the rear gears.

With a 2.66 first gear and stock gearing, a Boss will do almost 60 mph in first gear
read the part where that is where we start and use a bearing that will slid on and off without a press to get it set right then press on the new bearing. It works and I have even seen them recommend it on the power block shows a few times.

Justin said:
read the part where that is where we start and use a bearing that will slid on and off without a press to get it set right then press on the new bearing. It works and I have even seen them recommend it on the power block shows a few times.

I read it. I just find it quicker and easier to use the original. Saves having to install the ring gear multiple times and I don't have to use the pinion depth gauge unless the new gear set is way off.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel