The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

3.73's and 2011-2014 GT's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anyone that has driven one of these cars, Do any of you feel that this is just the worst possible gear choice for these cars?

I have had this car since September I daily drive it. (Even in Edmonton winters, probably the easiest winter driving vehicle I have ever had.)

And in that time I feel like 3.31 is perfect. 1st is useless, you get going and then switch gears. to 2nd and driving around town I am either in 5th and wanting to switch to 6th but 6th lugs the engine so hard that if I want to pass I need to step down to 5th.

My buddy has a 2017 S550 with 3.31's and he wishes he had the 3.73's. Meanwhile I envy the fact he has more usable gear on the street.

Thoughts?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Fifth gear “around town” never happens for me. 5th is for highway speeds, over 55. Once I get settled on the highway, shift into overdrive, 6th.

Our engines are designed to turn RPMs, not provide low end torque. I’ve driven big blocks which can start from a stop in 3rd in a 4 speed. The coyote, not so much.

All the Boss 302’s came with 3:73 gears. Worst gear choice, not at all. 1/4 mile runs hit the rev limiter in 4 th gear I the traps with mid 12s once you get some grip. Third through fifth gears work well at most road courses I have run.
If you are driving around town and dont like to shift, a six speed manual shifted car, regardless of the rear gears may not be the best choice.

Fifth gear “around town” never happens for me. 5th is for highway speeds, over 55. Once I get settled on the highway, shift into overdrive, 6th.

Our engines are designed to turn RPMs, not provide low end torque. I’ve driven big blocks which can start from a stop in 3rd in a 4 speed. The coyote, not so much.

All the Boss 302’s came with 3:73 gears. Worst gear choice, not at all. 1/4 mile runs hit the rev limiter in 4 th gear I the traps with mid 12s once you get some grip. Third through fifth gears work well at most road courses I have run.
If you are driving around town and dont like to shift, a six speed manual shifted car, regardless of the rear gears may not be the best choice.

5th gear at 60km/h I am turning 2000 rpm. Yes the engines like to rev but still around town I like to be turning 2k rpm more or less.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I don't really care about the gearing for the street. I have 3.73s in both cars and roll out in 1, 2, 3 or 4. I think 1st is a good launch gear or for exiting a 25 mph right hander. Far from useless IMO. If you don't like or use first, that's not going to really change much on the street going to a slightly taller gear.

The drop in ratio to 6th and your preference for cruising RPM is the problem, IMO. I would have kept 6th a little closer 5th if I were choosing gears for the MT-82. Pick the right gear for your cruise requirements and you should be okay. 1st would still be as 'useless' and you could just roll out in 2nd. Treat your car like a 5 speed.

For the tracks and tires I run, 3.55s would be the best for me on the track in the GT. 3.73 are fine in the Boss on stock ~27" tall tires. I cruise around town in 5th and 6th is a freeway/gas mileage/transport gear.

i know this is not apples to apples but i have a tr6060 in my car with a 4.10 gear that ends up being real similar final drive to a mt-82 with a 3.31 gear. Car feels lazy until you get it rolling and I lost a good chunk of ET and MPH (better judge of power imo vs a dyno) from a previous s197 i had with a 3.73 gear and mt82 trans. Im looking to swap the gear out to a 4.56 to get some of it back at the end of this season.

My car has 3.73's and 275/35/18 tires. I typically shift at 3k-3.5k for normal daily driving. shifting 3 times to get across an intersection sucks, but its whatever. I much prefer working slightly to drive my car (which adds to the overall experience) than driving an automatic...or a Mopar...haha

Like others have said, 1st gear is optional, and 6th is a highway gear.

Having driven 2011 GT Brembo cars w/3.31, 3.55 and 3.73 gears all in the same day, I much prefer the 3.73s.
Ordered a new 2012 GT Brembo car w/3.73s.
Now have a 2013 Boss w/3.73s. I wouldn't want it any other way.

Had 3.55 and 3.73's, 3.55's are my preferred gearing especially if you spend anytime at the drag strip, are mildly modified, and especially if you run a shorter then stock tire size.

This conversation is going to go down the voodoo rabit hole of gearing theory and power band application, but other high revving peaky power band cars(s2k/gt3) use longer gearing in relation to the hp they produce. I assume the theory is if you have a large flat area of power production you want to spend more time in that range utilizing the power rather then blowing through and shifting the car. My brothers GT3's 4.0 6pot is 25% smaller then a yote runs to 85mph in 2nd gear(yes his is the manual 6spd clubman).

3.73's feel more impressive on street.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
For average-normal street use, I don't think I'd care for a 1st gear good for only 5.5 mph/1000 engine rpm (3.66 x 3.73, 26" tall tires). Makes pulling into 50+ mph traffic from side streets and parking lots somewhat less than pleasant if you're not into making your street driving look like drag racing.

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors