The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

3-Days at BIR 7/27-7/29

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

There's a 3 day (Fri-Sun) event 7/27-7/29 at BIR with the Nordstern PCA. It's run on the long Donneybrooke course which is 3.1 miles and 10 turns. The front straightaway is a full mile long and Turn 1 is a 60 degree banked right hander followed by Turn 2 which is an 80 degree right hander so you won't find a more exhilirating run. I know of two Bosses that will be there. Hope you can make it! ;D

drano38

Wayne
cloud9 said:
I know of two Bosses that will be there. Hope you can make it! ;D

Geez Gary, that's some heavy arm twisting ;).
OK, I'm signed up now, and the list is growing fast.

Looking forward to the long course again.
Its been almost a month since I've been on track, and I'm starting to go thru withdrawls.

Good times today and the weather was perfect. I tried the red key/black key but didn't notice any significant difference in temps. I was dealing with rolling chicanes most of the day so didn't really get a good feel for the tires. My times were similar to the Conti slicks but didn't feel like the grip was as solid. BIR is a really old surface and quite porous so the contact patch is "inconsistent". You feel like you're walking the tire across the surface in many of the turns. All in all a good day.

We did run into a really hairy situation at the beginning of the 3rd session. A 911 apparently rubbed an oil line through near the rear tire and dropped a line of oil around the entire track. There was no burning and it didn't hit the exhaust so no white smoke either so it as really sinister. I had just come around after the warmup lap and was in Turn 2 going about 120-130 through the turn when the back end started coming around :eek: I'm like wth ??? I got it settled then as soon as I got back on the gas it started to come around again. Turn 2 would be the WORST place on BIR to lose it. Then I started skating through the next 4 turns and just going wth is going on?? I thought it had to be something with one or more of my tires so I was like screw it I'm gonna wreck if I stay out here. As I'm pitting in about 4 more cars were following me so at that point I knew there had to be something on the track. They all had the same reaction as I did thinking it was their tires lol. Anyway fortunately no one bought it especially on such a high speed track. We lost that session and had the afternoon one shortened to 20 minutes due to the long cleanup time required. Oh well we have 5 30 minute sessions tomorrow :eek:

drano38

Wayne
I'll second the great wx and driving conditions (except the fluid spill that happened right front of me).
Looking forward to five 30 minute sessions Saturday.
Here's a pic before I pushed for the track. Just put my new Ford a Racing flag up below Old Glory.
20120726121137756.jpg

Sounds like an awesome time! I gotta get up there sometime...

Interesting results you had on temps, Gary. I'm more confused now than ever. Thinking I may have the dealership look at my car to see if they can explain it.

LateApex said:
Sounds like an awesome time! I gotta get up there sometime...

Interesting results you had on temps, Gary. I'm more confused now than ever. Thinking I may have the dealership look at my car to see if they can explain it.
Yea it's a fun track and beats 3-digit temps down in NE this time of year!

Just watched a 944 try to pass during their club race and he clipped the inside wall of 10 and flipped sliding all the way up the bank and off the track on his lid :eek: Not going to post any vid of that though :-X

The Conti takeoffs were 2 to 3 seconds slower than the Nittos 555RIIs today FWIW. Got a check charging system error on my last session today :-\ We'll see if it comes back again tomorrow. Also had a flashing CEL at the end of a session but it went away. Quirky PCM the Boss has.

PeteInCT said:
cloud9 said:
The Conti takeoffs were 2 to 3 seconds slower than the Nittos 555RIIs today FWIW.

Yea Baby ! ;D (I love those tires. To hell the R6's ;D )
LOL well they were used, but so were the Nittos at that point. Drove on the scale today. 3710 lbs with me in it and a little over half a tank. I weigh 175 so I guess curb weight is 3535 depending on how much fuel is in it from the factory when reporting a curb weight of 3630.

drano38

Wayne
I'll see if I can upload video tonite.
Picked up a 2:01 today after putting on a new set of NT-05. 30 sessions on the first set had them heat cycled out-go figure ;D. Hope to break into 1:59 territory Sunday.

cloud9 said:
The Conti takeoffs were 2 to 3 seconds slower than the Nittos 555RIIs today FWIW. Got a check charging system error on my last session today :-\ We'll see if it comes back again tomorrow.

Can't beat the price, got 4 days!!! out of some. I would like to see what could be done on a new set but for $1400 or so I live with my times. I got one second better at PBIR on them then the NT05's and have been two seconds slower at Sebring. (running 275 all around)

I lost my alternator last time out :(

2012YellowBoss said:
cloud9 said:
The Conti takeoffs were 2 to 3 seconds slower than the Nittos 555RIIs today FWIW. Got a check charging system error on my last session today :-\ We'll see if it comes back again tomorrow.

Can't beat the price, got 4 days!!! out of some. I would like to see what could be done on a new set but for $1400 or so I live with my times. I got one second better at PBIR on them then the NT05's and have been two seconds slower at Sebring. (running 275 all around)

I lost my alternator last time out :(
My wife agrees with you on the price ;D

Did you get a "check charging system" warning when your alternator went?

cloud9 said:
My wife agrees with you on the price ;D

Did you get a "check charging system" warning when your alternator went?

You calling me a girl or just a cheapskate ;D

When the car finally decided it was done shifting last time out it also stalled on 18 at Sebring. Most likely because of the alternator. I coasted off the track and restarted on pit lane but drove straight to the trailer. The next day the light did go off on the way to the dealer, I was getting less then 12 volts charging on the UltraGauge read out at idle but it was intermittent. It would go back to 13 or 14 then back under 12 again. I also hearing a whining noise out of it.

drano38

Wayne
PeteInCT said:
+1.

AZ, I think they really aren't there... ;D

When I pulled into the the track Thursday, I thought Gary upgraded trailers agian. ;D
20120728171427313.jpg

For the geographically challenged, you'll know there are no trees at MAM or MPH. So obviously we are at BIR! And the new scooter in front of Gary's Boss.
20120728104911581.jpg

Let me look thru some videos and see what I can find.

All the videos are too large to upload, and I don't have video editing software (almost computer illiterate).

But 2 big track days so far. My trip odo says 285 miles for 2 days. :eek:

Last session of the day was a combined group 1-4. What an absolute blast even though it was constant traffic. Worked my way through the field playing cat & mouse with Rick's favorite.....GT3RS...my nemesis. I got by him halfway through the session and worked out a nice lead. We even had about 8 cars going 3 wide through turn 10 at one point. :D. Heading home now.

TMO Supporting Vendors