The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

30 Degree Track Day - Conti Slicks or Nittos???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have my last track day of the season tomorrow at BIR and the forecast is for 30 degrees when the track opens, with a high of 46. I would much prefer to running my Conti slicks, but thinking that may be a mistake and that I should switch back to my Nittos. Has any run slicks on this cold of a track? Any suggestions??

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
It really won't matter which tire as neither are particularly happy in 40* weather. The key will be bringing them up to temp and not doing anything crazy until they are up to temp.

On the Contis, I'll usually put in 2 laps at about 3-4/10ths, then pick it up on the next lap. By then, they should be up to temp and you can start upping the pace. Slowly warming them up is the key.

Glad to hear you think I can stay with the Conti's, although neither will be great in those temps. Good advice on the warm-up which I usually do on the first lap, but will try to hold back through at least the second lap. That should also give me enough turns to get a good feel for how grippy they are.

Being a California boy that's way too cold to go outside let alone tracking your car. ;D Was in the 80's here yesterday. Have fun and be safe.

It was in the 70s here yesterday, but it has quickly changed today. Very northern MN just got a foot of snow and the cold temps are headed our way, thankfully without the snow.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
At those temps you're probably not trying to break any track records. Are you running NT01's ? If so I'd at least bring them. If you can't then I'd go with the Nitto's, the Conti's will be like rocks. I drove at Mont Tremblant this past weekend with the temps in the mid 40's and the tires never really got very sticky - I was running NT-555R-II's. The guys running GT3/GT3RS's with R6's said they not getting them up to temp enough.

I am running the same Nittos as you, the NT-555Rs and am bring them with. I am trying to decide if I should just switch to them to start with or start with my Conti's that are already on my car. Sounds like you are thinking I should switch and the Conti's may never warm up.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
That's my guess. It has a lot to do with the actual track surface temp and not so much the air temp - although they obviously are related. Up in Canada the UV rays are light due to how far North it is, so a nice 'warm' sun doesn't get into the track as well. Also, the nights were down near 32 degrees, which pulls any warmth right out of the track at night. I'd start with the Nittos and if you see them getting nice and sticky then you know the Conti's will be OK. If they are like mine in Tremblant, you know you have the right tires on ! ;D

I ended up using the Nitto's. The temp for the first session was just above freezing and track was wet from sleet the night below. Thus no real option but to go with Nittos that have a bit of tread. They were still rock hard and extremely greasy. I ended up dropping the tire pressure a couple of pounds which helped. By 11:00 the track dried out and was much safer to push it a bit harder.

Unfortunately, that was my last track day of the season. Thanks for your advice and making it a great day despite the ugly temps!

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Come join us a Line rock on Sat the 27'th ! That will be my last day unless I do VIR in November (unlikely).

As for the Nittos, sounds like almost any tire would have had issues with that weather. ;D

Very tempting as I have been hoping to get to Lime Rock, and am thinking I will sometime this next year. My schedule is not looking good for this fall. I did have a good summer however with about 12 total track days.

TMO Supporting Vendors