The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

302 LS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford dealer called me yesterday and said "good news- we can get an LS for you @ 6-8 weeks. We have the production slot & it's yours if you want it. Sticker price even". I was pretty excited, told to give me 48 hours to consider it - lol.

I was placing an order for a new Porsche the day before and later that day the dealer called and said the specific model I wanted would not be produced after Dec 31. Bottom line - take one that is already scheduled as is, no changes. At Porsche prices getting exactly what you want is key for me and nothing s hedged was very close to my order.

Destiny? Maybe. Disappointment? None.

Wondering if any of you track day guys have owned Porsches before? I'm replacing a 2003 996 Turbo that has given me a lot of great track time. Will the 302 LS be as much fun? Will I need to do anything to ensure that it is a reliable track day car? can it run with my Porsche buddies in GT3s?

Congratulations. I've owned a couple of Porsche 911's but they were 80's vintage and my Boss is a lot more car. Member Cloud9 has been having a lot of fun running with his local Porsche club and chasing down GT3's and maybe even a RS. 8) I've driven a 2002 996 C2 but not on a track. My first track weekend with my Boss was two weeks ago and I passed a guy driving a new GTS in several sessions. The Boss is fast and very neutral handling but the steering feedback is not as good as a Porsche which should be of no surprise.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Exigent said:
Ford dealer called me yesterday and said "good news- we can get an LS for you @ 6-8 weeks. We have the production slot & it's yours if you want it. Sticker price even". I was pretty excited, told to give me 48 hours to consider it - lol.

I was placing an order for a new Porsche the day before and later that day the dealer called and said the specific model I wanted would not be produced after Dec 31. Bottom line - take one that is already scheduled as is, no changes. At Porsche prices getting exactly what you want is key for me and nothing s hedged was very close to my order.

Wondering if any of you track day guys have owned Porsches before? I'm replacing a 2003 996 Turbo that has given me a lot of great track time. Will the 302 LS be as much fun? Will I need to do anything to ensure that it is a reliable track day car? can it run with my Porsche buddies in GT3s?

Lots of info on Boss problems but nothing major. Add Camber, Brake Cooling, Upgraded brake pads, Engine cooling is still under review but seems to be a flow problem caused by restrictive grill and not being able to evacuate the hot air from under the hood, ie hood venting and better grill.

Can't give you a back to back compo of Porsche vs Boss fun on the track as I don't have my Boss yet. I do plan to run a back to back same day test of the Boss against my 996GT3 to see which is faster. My money is on the GT3 by a couple of secs @ Sebring but still expect the Boss to run sub 2:30. Now people who are passing 997.2 GT3/RS C6ZO6 etc with Boss 302 are in the group it aint the car its the driver. Case in point I was @ HPR for a friday lapping day in my E36M3 and was passing GT3's, ZO6's, Audi R8 and never did I think it was my car being faster just a more experienced driver vs newbie's.

Peter

OLOABoss said:
Exigent said:

Lots of info on Boss problems but nothing major. Add Camber, Brake Cooling, Upgraded brake pads, Engine cooling is still under review but seems to be a flow problem caused by restrictive grill and not being able to evacuate the hot air from under the hood, ie hood venting and better grill.

Now people who are passing 997.2 GT3/RS C6ZO6 etc with Boss 302 are in the group it aint the car its the driver.
Perfect Cliff's notes version of track mods and agreed on that list of cars. The only other things I'd add are a diff fluid vent (a.k.a. turkey baster), DOT4 brake fluid (presumed), and an Aeroforce gauge or scan tool to read and clear the occasional pesky P0300 DTCs until TracKey is released. ;)

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Oppps yes forgot racing brake fluid. :( All told the Boss seems to need minimal mods and upgrades to be track worthy. Even Porsche's need to do brake pads/fluid and unless it is GT3 they need Camber plates or Front LCA's to get enough front neg camber.

The reason I am getting a Boss over other cars is Ford got it right finally and it is a lot of car for the $$$$. Of course I am keeping the GT3 ;D

Peter

OLOABoss said:
Oppps yes forgot racing brake fluid. :( All told the Boss seems to need minimal mods and upgrades to be track worthy. Even Porsche's need to do brake pads/fluid and unless it is GT3 they need Camber plates or Front LCA's to get enough front neg camber.

The reason I am getting a Boss over other cars is Ford got it right finally and it is a lot of car for the $$$$. Of course I am keeping the GT3 ;D

Peter
Yes it's a great value.

My point was not that the Boss was as fast or faster than those cars but it's competitive.

LSfastestlaps.jpg

You're exactly right Rick, and with a little driver mod the Boss can run with those cars. The toughest one being the C6 Z06, which on top of being 500 lbs lighter and 100 more rwhp with a $1200 exhaust + CAI/tune, is so easy to drive since the 13" and 12" wide tires are like training wheels.

cloud9 said:
You're exactly right Rick, and with a little driver mod the Boss can run with those cars. The toughest one being the C6 Z06, which on top of being 500 lbs lighter and 100 more rwhp with a $1200 exhaust + CAI/tune, is so easy to drive since the 13" and 11" wide tires are like training wheels.
Having just ridden in one of those Z06's with training wheels and mods I can attest that they are capable of going flat out. ;)

Exigent said:

Porsches are no doubt wonderful cars .I have owned 6 911’s and raced 911 cup cars.If you get a Porsche or the Boss you can’t go wrong!For the money the Boss is the best bang for the buck.Can I say you will keep up to your buddies in Porsches ,well that would depend on your driving skill .No insult mean’t .What I see is its drivers skill more than the car.Although if you are fast everyone says its the car!I have not been passed in my LS by any GT3’S or ZO6 ’s(yet). But I have passed plenty.I think if you compare the two dollar for dollar. The Boss is the clear winner.One thing I like about the Boss and there are many,is that it is far more unique than a Porsche.I also find the general public is more enthusiastic towards the car .
In terms of track ready mods ,you do need to some.Floating racing rotors for the front DBA500 for the rear DBA 4000 racing fluid,pads I like and swear by CARBOTECH xp 20’s front xp16 rears.
Cut out the front grill for cooling.There are threads on this .There is more you can do ,such as the 302 radiator for added cooling and a new oil cooler that is an air to oil system.
In summary for not a lot of money you can have a kick ass track car and a fun street car.On a side note.The more I own the car the more I like it! Its not the fastest car in my stable but it sure is blast!
My 02
Best regards ,Ron

Exigent said:

First off let me say I am a HUGE Porsche fan......the track oriented versions anyways. What had me buy a Boss LS over a GT3.....price. A brand new Boss LS is half the price of a USED 997.2 GT3. And lets not talk about costs of repairs.... On top of all that the Boss is extremely competitive with a GT3...a new one. The older ones can't keep up.

My last time at VIR (also my second time ever there...) during one session I got tangled up with a 996 GT3 built to the hilt. It was a complete RUF conversion, had a coilover suspension kit, and was running 100 oct. The car was gorgeous.... Don't get me wrong it wasn't a semi cup car, but it was a very well built track car. We were neck and neck almost the entire session. Yes he was a good driver. I don't even want to think about how much he has into that thing... Bottom line the Boss is THE value track car.

Imagine when someone throws about $10k into suspension and brake mods on the car.... Not much you can do with the motor unless you build one... You will have a street legal 302s World Challenge, Grand-Am champion level car....

I own a "vintage" 1988 Porsche race car and a 2012 Boss. They are VERY different cars but both a blast to drive. I surprised a few GT3 drivers at the track with my Boss but it certainly is nowhere near as sophisticated or refined as a 911. But at less than half the price it's a steal! Before buying the Boss I was considering a Cayman R. It's a fantastic car but with equally skilled drivers I think the Boss can match or beat it lap time wise (and at $25K less). I already have no problem with Cayman Ses. I'm a bit annoyed that it takes me twice as long to change brake pads on my Boss vs. my Porsche. The Porsche has racing type calipers front and rear with just a spring clip on a hinge holding the pads in. If I have the car on stands with the wheels removed I can change front and rear pads in about 8 minutes. No pins to remove, no floating caliper to unbolt, no ANNOYING rear piston that needs a damn tool to twist and push it in! Sorry, my Porsche snobbery is showing...lol! That being said, I LOVE my Boss 302. At the last PCA event it gathered a bigger crowd of interested onlookers and picture takers than the new $165K RS. And it's hard to beat the music of that V8, especially with the side pipes uncorked. If you can get a new LS at sticker, that's a bargain!

Exigent said:

I've got an 07 GT3RS and a 951 (track only 2100lb@525hp/450tq).
Obviously, the 951 is a different critter, but as for the RS/LS comparison, - I have only driven the LS on the street thus far, but think it should be able to more than hold its own on the track (I can hardly wait til spring!). Again, with reference (as already noted) to the mix of cars and drivers on any given day.
One thing for sure, as far as parts and maintenance is concerned; with the LS, you will be laughing all the way to the bank. Plus, there is so much stuff out there...
Based on my first impressions, I might want to find out whether other LS owners have lowered their cars, say 1"-1.5". It seems to me this might help, but don't really know.
I am also doing the Roush side splitters and probably the kooks setup and maybe an Araid CAI.
Also aluminum drive shaft since it seems to me there is a fair amount (too much) slop in the drive train - at least that's the way it feels to me. Maybe that goes away once at speed on the track.
Also Odyssey 680 battery and maybe Tiger hood to relieve weight & lower air pressure under the nose.
NASA-spec cage also.
Overall, the RS is a more precise tool, but there is no denying that the Boss 302 is a true driver's car that wants to be pushed (hard).
I can give you a better impression next spring, but by then you'll already have a big grin and know as much (if not more) than me...
For me, if I could only buy one, I would buy the B302LS. I think the stock unit only scratches the surface of what this thing can be.
Other thoughts - For dedicated track, the 302s or 302r might make perfect (even more?) sense.

lbp said:
I've got an 07 GT3RS and a 951 (track only 2100lb@525hp/450tq).
Obviously, the 951 is a different critter, but as for the RS/LS comparison, - I have only driven the LS on the street thus far, but think it should be able to more than hold its own on the track (I can hardly wait til spring!). Again, with reference (as already noted) to the mix of cars and drivers on any given day.
One thing for sure, as far as parts and maintenance is concerned; with the LS, you will be laughing all the way to the bank. Plus, there is so much stuff out there...
Based on my first impressions, I might want to find out whether other LS owners have lowered their cars, say 1"-1.5". It seems to me this might help, but don't really know.
I am also doing the Roush side splitters and probably the kooks setup and maybe an Araid CAI.
Also aluminum drive shaft since it seems to me there is a fair amount (too much) slop in the drive train - at least that's the way it feels to me. Maybe that goes away once at speed on the track.
Also Odyssey 680 battery and maybe Tiger hood to relieve weight & lower air pressure under the nose.
NASA-spec cage also.
Overall, the RS is a more precise tool, but there is no denying that the Boss 302 is a true driver's car that wants to be pushed (hard).
I can give you a better impression next spring, but by then you'll already have a big grin and know as much (if not more) than me...
For me, if I could only buy one, I would buy the B302LS. I think the stock unit only scratches the surface of what this thing can be.
Other thoughts - For dedicated track, the 302s or 302r might make perfect (even more?) sense.
Thanks for sharing your comments regarding the two cars. The fact that the Boss is even mentioned with the Porsche is a win regardless which is faster.

Regarding the springs Steeda has a set that lowers the car and are stiffer. So far the results look promising. With that said Ford Racing is working on a set of track springs that should lower the car a bit. I suspect they will be similar to what Steeda is offering regarding the ride height. I'm waiting until FR has a set available before making a decision. Hopefully that will be later this Winter.

I run with the PCA quite a bit at BIR. I have dispatched about every flavor Porsche with the Boss. To be fair though, it's a flat out dogfight with a properly driven GT3, and I'd kick my own ass in a GT3RS, although it would be competitive.

I'm a LS owner. Here is what I would recommend doing to the car right away before you track:

Install trackey!

DBA5000 front rotors

DBA4000 rear rotors

race pad of your choice (try something besides Hawk and then give reviews..... ;D)

Install high quality race brake fluid (I am going with Endless RF650)

Have front splitter, brake cooling kit, and trans cooling scoop installed

Remove rear brake dust shields and those little mud flap things in the front of the rear wheels

If you have tracked in the past and like messing with stuff install Maximum Motorsports CC plates

If you want to go all out get a set of 18inch lightweight track wheels. Run a staggered setup that is similar in proportions to the stock setup (it has been reported that square setups produce understeer without changing sway bars)

Don't do anything else!!!!!! This car is very, very, good. The only thing I am thinking about messing with is some lowering springs and it is mostly for the looks. I am hesitant to even do that.

I am all about a full exhaust with headers, and the lighter driveshaft. But that is more of a want. The above stuff is a need (minus the CC plates, and wheels).

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
adam81 said:
I'm a LS owner. Here is what I would recommend doing to the car right away before you track:

Install trackey!

DBA5000 front rotors

DBA4000 rear rotors

race pad of your choice (try something besides Hawk and then give reviews..... ;D)

Remove rear brake dust shields and those little mud flap things in the front of the rear wheels

If you have tracked in the past and like messing with stuff install Maximum Motorsports CC plates

If you want to go all out get a set of 18inch lightweight track wheels. Run a staggered setup that is similar in proportions to the stock setup (it has been reported that square setups produce Oversteer without changing sway bars)

Don't do anything else!!!!!! This car is very, very, good. The only thing I am thinking about messing with is some lowering springs and it is mostly for the looks. I am hesitant to even do that.

I am all about a full exhaust with headers, and the lighter driveshaft. But that is more of a want. The above stuff is a need (minus the CC plates, and wheels).

Fixed it for you. ;)

Peter

adam81 said:

Install trackey!

DBA5000 front rotors

DBA4000 rear rotors

If you want to go all out get a set of 18inch lightweight track wheels. Run a staggered setup that is similar in proportions to the stock setup (it has been reported that square setups produce understeer without changing sway bars)

I've had good (excellent) luck with pagid on many tracked cars.

Per NVH, don't mind it as long as the harmonics are not hammering the car, breaking motor mounts, etc., but I don't think this is a problem here..

I've heard mention that the Roush side skirts are not particularly functional??

Any reports of clutch/transmission issues??

Thx.

TMO Supporting Vendors