The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

302R/S Oil Pan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm thinking about getting this pan. M6675M50BR

12 quart capacity.

http://rehagenracingproducts.com/2011-2013-50L-4V-TI-VCT-RACE-OIL-PAN-M-6675-M50BR.htm

So my question is how will this part fit (or not) on our bosses? Will it accept the stock oil cooler? Does it fit exactly the same? Or sit lower?

It has to be bigger because of the extra 3.5 quarts...

thanks.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i am not certain, but i believe the additional capacity is in kickouts at the bottom of the sump and possibly a marginal amount of additional depth. if this is true, this would not effect the oil cooler. i am sure it was developed to also work with a stock k-member and exhaust.

i do know of a couple of folks who have fitted this into a stock mustang and nobody mentioned any modifications required.

its the most expensive oil pan i have ever seen for a mustang. it seems excessive to me. i plan to wait for milodon or another manufacturer to come to the table with one at half the cost. i believe 8 quarts is more than enough. really, you just need baffling to prevent oil starvation in 1.2G turns. if i was an oil control guru, i would come up with a baffle insert for the stock pan. that and a nice windage tray would be perfect.

i am looking forward to doing mine, since i can block off those stupid piston squirters on my GT.

Steve. Your knowledge of all things mechanical (and some not :p) continues to amaze me. Makes good sense about the baffles. I was pulling 1.05 g's at summit this weekend.

In terms of price,yes its pricey but its also the only product of its kind right now. I wonder if its lighter weight too. The extra cooling from the increased oil volume is nice considering no additional components or weight.

But don't think I'm not still pondering that Cortex torque arm+watts, because that's on my list too. ;)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i am actually quite surprised nobody has come forward with an option. the engine is 3 years old, which in today's aftermarket world, is an eternity...especially considering the price target. i would be all over this if blowfish was a full time race shop.

the extra capacity does help with cooling, but its more likely to only extend the time it takes to reach the overtemp, not prevent an overtemp. the real advantage to the extra oil is increasing the liklihood that the pump pickup will be covered in oil. but that method does come at a weight penalty. each quart of oil is roughly 1.8lbs and the extra material in the pan adds as well. i would guess about 2-3lbs of extra material and 7.2 lbs of oil. so, you are looking at a 10lb adder, but it is as low as possible, so it won't hurt anything except your front/rear balance.

so, you just need to add the torque arm with the pan, so your balance is offset ;D

wish i could have been there this past weekend. i really want to see what the hoosiers would do to improve my times on my home track. but, alas, the baby is still resisting. we are going to have to call the sheriff to have him evicted! my wife is going to dr tomorrow to get a little "assistance" to get the party started. with some luck, we expect to have the next pufferfish later this week!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Yes, it fits. It was going to be standard on the street cars as well but it was not able to fit the jigs used at AAI that move the engines around the assembly line.

Moroso also makes a similar pan.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
interesting! i admit i haven't looked in a while. the price is more in line with what i would expect. my concern is the label "street/strip" oil pan. again, i am not an oil control guy, so i can't say their baffling system wouldn't work. it seems reasonable to me.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
wait, summit says its an 8qt street/strip pan. moroso says its a +2qt road race/strip pan. love it when distributors get it all wrong :eek:

the $500 aluminum pan would be the best choice and add the $92 pickup for some extra security. now that a rr pan is in my price range, i wonder if it can be done from under the car? anyone put one of these in?

The moroso says its a wet sump. What's the difference between dry sump pan and wet sump? Also, the moroso doesn't have interior baffles (to my untrained eyes) so high G imbalance can occur, right? Is it still worth it?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Wet means the extra oil sits in the bottom of the pan. Dry sump means the extra oil is in a remote reservoir. Mustangs use wet sump systems.

The moroso site shows that it does have baffle doors, which is what the FRPP unit uses.

zzyzx

Steve
The Roadrunner oil pan is not the same as the Coyote and has already been modified to address high lateral G loading:

More hardware changes were required when tuning the Coyote oil pan, not only for the Boss 302 engine's higher rpm, but also the Boss 302 car's increased cornering and braking loads. At high rpm, the issue is oil drain-back. The Coyote's horizontal baffle is a step for the river of draining oil to loiter on at high rpm, so the baffle was trimmed back to route the oil more directly to the pan's sump. Naturally this had a negative effect on keeping the oil in the sump when the Boss was maneuvering hard, but extensive work gained a compromise between drain back and retention.

Another pan detail, the Coyote baffling is stitch-welded in sections to the pan. During hard Boss braking, the oil fountained up between the baffle and pan, so the welds were made continuous in the RoadRunner. Tim Vaughn says that even if it's run a quart low, the Boss engine still keeps adequate oil trapped around the oil pump pickup.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_1108_2011_ford_mustang_302/viewall.html#ixzz2Rtjp2gf5

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
pufferfish said:
wait, summit says its an 8qt street/strip pan. moroso says its a +2qt road race/strip pan. love it when distributors get it all wrong :eek:

the $500 aluminum pan would be the best choice and add the $92 pickup for some extra security. now that a rr pan is in my price range, i wonder if it can be done from under the car? anyone put one of these in?

K member has to be dropped 6" to get the oil pan out and back in over the pump pickup. The oil pan gasket is also a full windage tray preventing crank rotation from whipping the oil around it and aerating it. The Moroso pan has good trap doors and baffle to keep the pickup covered in oil under any g loading. Much better value than the Ford Racing and a worthwhile mod. If you buy the Aluminator XS you get both the CJ intake and throttle body plus the full race oil pan.
Steve

Darren,

Armando Oil Pans makes a 9qt oil pan set up for road racing (trap doors and baffles around the pickup); it comes with a modified pickup as well. At one point he built oil pans for Aviad (well known for their oil pans on Shelby's and the 69-70 BM Boss 302s).

http://www.aroilpans.com/Roadrace.html

Chicane23 had Armando modify the pan to incorporate the low oil level sensor....this is the pan I am putting on my LS. Contact John George at Chicane23 if your interested. (http://www.chicane23.com/).

r
Eric

Eric said:
Darren,

Armando Oil Pans makes a 9qt oil pan set up for road racing (trap doors and baffles around the pickup); it comes with a modified pickup as well. At one point he built oil pans for Aviad (well known for their oil pans on Shelby's and the 69-70 BM Boss 302s).

http://www.aroilpans.com/Roadrace.html

Chicane23 had Armando modify the pan to incorporate the low oil level sensor....this is the pan I am putting on my LS. Contact John George at Chicane23 if your interested. (http://www.chicane23.com/).

r
Eric

Eric,
Cool. Thanks. Will look into it.

Darren

This pan was created to our specs - https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/560991_347715685319771_1847597074_n.jpg
This is a pan that works both in the corners and in the braking zones. more pictures on the Chicane23 Facebook page.
Fits stock k-member and the Kenny Brown k-member.

560991_347715685319771_1847597074_n.jpg

DGRacing said:
Eric,
Cool. Thanks. Will look into it.

Darren

Any update on this or is the post from chicane23 the oil pan for $680.-- from aroilpans.com? The oil pan (http://www.aroilpans.com/Roadrace.html 2011-2012 302R Mustang Coyote Oil Pan $680.00) looks very interesting! What is confusing me is: Is that kind of the previous oil pan used by the official 302R from 2011 to 2012?

And does anyone know if this oil pan is lower than the OEM oil pan? Plus perhaps a stupid questions, where is the oil sensor inlet?

Orange...

Armando (www.aroilpans.com) builds this pan you referenced in the link.

Chicane23 has Armondo modify the pan to add the sensor on the left side. It is a 12qt, fully baffled pan, and comes with a modified pickup. (http://store.chicane23.com/chicane23-custom-coyote-road-race-oil-pan.html)

I have the Chicane23 pan on my Boss. It does not hang below the K-member and as mentioned above it fits with both the stock k-member and the KB k-member.

DSC01305_zps4bc1e13b.jpg

DSC01307_zpse2b43667.jpg

r/
Eric

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I have the moroso pan. It's heavily baffled, with 3 sprung trap doors near the pickup. My total capacity is just at 12 quarts, and the pan has 3 ports tapped in it (gauges and a nice drain). I think its a great value. There's a lot of thought that went into its design, especially in how they have the drain back handled and that clever baffle setup. That being said its a very tight fit, it doesn't hang below the kmember but follows it closely. I think its a killer value

Eric said:
Orange...
Armando (www.aroilpans.com) builds this pan you referenced in the link.
Chicane23 has Armondo modify the pan to add the sensor on the left side. It is a 12qt, fully baffled pan, and comes with a modified pickup. (http://store.chicane23.com/chicane23-custom-coyote-road-race-oil-pan.html)
I have the Chicane23 pan on my Boss. It does not hang below the K-member and as mentioned above it fits with both the stock k-member and the KB k-member.
DSC01305_zps4bc1e13b.jpg
Eric

Eric, Why a KB K-Member? KB lower arms as well?
Read terrible things about both of them mounted on GT500's (breakages mainly)...Any real advantages? (weight geometry?)
(The Chicane 23 oil pan looks real nice and being equivalent to the FRPP but almost same pricing 999.- vs. 1100.- if you search a bit!)

TMO Supporting Vendors