The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

302R Steering rack - slight play in wheel

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

After replacing my steering rack with the 302R EPAS, I have noticed I have a slight play in my wheel (maybe a couple degrees). Do any of u know how to take te play out of it? Nothing wrong with the steering shaft or joints. I'll give FRPP a call and see if there is an adjustment. Otherwise I may be tearing it apart again and making them send me a new rack.

SC BOSS said:
After replacing my steering rack with the 302R EPAS, I have noticed I have a slight play in my wheel (maybe a couple degrees). Do any of u know how to take te play out of it? Nothing wrong with the steering shaft or joints. I'll give FRPP a call and see if there is an adjustment. Otherwise I may be tearing it apart again and making them send me a new rack.
No issues when I installed mine, and no adjustment I'm aware of

I agree. There should be zero play in the wheel. Especially not 5-10 degrees worth. Spoke to a 'tech' at FRPP, who said he would have to talk to one of their engineers and get back to me. Being a mechanical engineer myself, I couldve told him what their engineer is going to say.. Replace it. Lol.

No i didn't do anything under the dash, or at the top u joint connection by the firewall.. I put it back up on jack stands last night and uncoupled the joint at the rack, and retorqued both of those bolts.. i'm at a loss, and when i have my wife turn the steering wheel back and forth (in the 5-10 degree play) i can just watch the output shaft of the rack move back and forth before the wheels start turning. It's definitely internal to the rack. FRPP didn't get back to me yesterday, so i'll be on the phone with them first thing monday morning telling them to send me a new rack to replace the one i've got..

just when i thought i was finished! Now i get to take the k-member out again.. It's definitely the easiest way to get access to it. Not to mention i'll have to reset the Toe again, after getting it aligned YESTERDAY!!

If I may ask, what is the experience of those who changed to the 302R steering racks vs. the OEM Boss steering rack?

steveespo said:
Ford Racing is going to warranty replace it right? That is about the only thing they will warrant, manufacturer defect.
From what I've heard they are good about it but you may have to keep calling so they work with your vendor.
Good luck
Steve

i've been arguing with FRPP for about 2 weeks now... told them on day one i had an event at Barber THIS weekend (over two weeks ago). I still don't have a new rack and no issue resolved.. I'm going to contact my vendor and tell them the issue and see if they can ship me another rack send me a return sticker to send them the old one back.. it's a shot in the dark.. otherwise i'm goign to have to deal with it all weekend at Barber this weekend.. should be interesting.

Luke

Inquiring minds want to know... Did the issue resolve itself as you added miles at Barber or is the deadband still there and you just drove around it??

The steering rack has worked out well for me. The 'slight play' didn't effect drivability on the track at all. Ford Racing was of ZERO help in resolving my issue.

I thought i may just be too 'anal' with the minimal amount of play, tested it out on the track at Road Atlanta, then again at Barber Motorsports Park, and it is great. I also sat in the seat of a 302S that had been upgraded with the 'R" Steering rack, and he had the same sensation as i did in mine.

Hope this helps.

Luke

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Luke
Good to hear. Maybe the slack is Ford's way of having a "dead zone" so the car is not so twitchy on the straights when reacting to bumps etc' on track. I have the race rack and the difference between it and the stock GT rack was so dramatic that I never noticed any end play.
Steve

TMO Supporting Vendors