The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

302R's doing their thing at daytona

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seca954 said:
Near the end of your pics, there is an engine bay pic. I noticed there was no shock tower brace and wondered why the airbox and inlet were wrapped in gold. Do you know why? Great pics!

The strut tower brace doesn't do anything except add weight and get in the way, when the car is fully caged and seam-welded.

Sesshomurai

Jimmy Pribble said:
The strut tower brace doesn't do anything except add weight and get in the way, when the car is fully caged and seam-welded.

Well, it might not add much if you have a seam welded unibody (which I believe the S197 is not) and rollcage but it does exactly what its designed to do which is add lateral stiffness to the front of the car. Again, maybe its not much but its definitely not nothing.

DGRacing said:
Well, it might not add much if you have a seam welded unibody (which I believe the S197 is not) and rollcage but it does exactly what its designed to do which is add lateral stiffness to the front of the car. Again, maybe its not much but its definitely not nothing.

The 302R has a seam welded unibody. ;)

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
WinterSucks said:
Stock airbox???
Those are the rules. They also have to run 55mm inlet restrictors so the stock 82mm throttle body isn't an issue either. Engines are torn down and dyno'd at Roush/Yates to confirm all parts are to spec, reassembled and sealed with a serial # which Grand Am checks at each race. Ford Racing makes the approved ECU and they sell complete sealed Roush/Yates engines under some M-6004-xx part number for the series.
Steve

Jimmy Pribble said:
The 302R has a seam welded unibody. ;)
This. The brace adds nothing to the R so they leave it off. I'd like to know what, if anything, it does for the street cars. The R's are sent to an outside shop that installs the roll cage and welding and maybe a few other things to the car. You do get something for the extra $50k over an S. ;)

NFSBOSS said:
I'd like to know what, if anything, it does for the street cars.

I too would like to know some empirical evidence. I know the general consensus is that they do nothing, but dammit if they do look cool. I often find myself lusting after one. ::)

Zquez said:
I too would like to know some empirical evidence. I know the general consensus is that they do nothing, but dammit if they do look cool. I often find myself lusting after one. ::)

Here is what I would do, if I weren't busy moving and stuff - I would remove the strut bar. Then mount a laser pointer to the top of a strut tower and have it aimed at the side of the opposing tower (towards the top, if possible). Affix a scale/ruler to the tower and aim the laser so that it falls on or next to the scale. Then mount your GoPro so that it can record any movement of the laser. Go and drive like a maniac. Come back and check your footage for any torsional deflection. Repeat with the strut bar in place.

That's my best attempt at a grassroots test rig. Any other ideas? Anybody want to actually go do this?

Jimmy Pribble said:
Here is what I would do, if I weren't busy moving and stuff - I would remove the strut bar. Then mount a laser pointer to the top of a strut tower and have it aimed at the side of the opposing tower (towards the top, if possible). Affix a scale/ruler to the tower and aim the laser so that it falls on or next to the scale. Then mount your GoPro so that it can record any movement of the laser. Go and drive like a maniac. Come back and check your footage for any torsional deflection. Repeat with the strut bar in place.

That's my best attempt at a grassroots test rig. Any other ideas? Anybody want to actually go do this?

Who are you...Smokey Yunick ??!! That's classic :D

Jimmy Pribble said:

Great idea and I look forward to your report after you finish moving. I'm sure the brace helps but how much? Is it enough for a guy tracking his Boss to tell a difference?

Sesshomurai

Jimmy Pribble said:

That's a great idea. But don't bother with the gopro use the Contour2+ which has a built in laser level that you can turn on/off. Plus its smaller and has more features than gopro.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
PeteInCT said:
Chris - you take some excellent shots and the quality is totally pro. What equipment are you using if you don't mind me asking and are these shots raw or are they manually tweaked at all?

-Pete

Most of these were shot with a Canon 7D, a rented 300F 2.8L IS (the old mk1), and a kenko 1.4x teleconverter. A 70-200 F2.8L IS II was used for some of the pans, and a 17-55 F2.8 IS in the pits.

I own the camera body, the rest was rented, I'm way too broke to make a serious stab at photography unfortunately. I do really enjoy it, however.

Sesshomurai

captdistraction said:
Most of these were shot with a Canon 7D, a rented 300F 2.8L IS (the old mk1), and a kenko 1.4x teleconverter. A 70-200 F2.8L IS II was used for some of the pans, and a 17-55 F2.8 IS in the pits.

I own the camera body, the rest was rented, I'm way too broke to make a serious stab at photography unfortunately. I do really enjoy it, however.

Well, you're good at it. Maybe you could shoot some track days while you're waiting for your group to run? Good way to cover the track fees? lol

DD GT3 RD said:
Interesting none have splitters just the stock lip. Is that a rule? I mean they have rear wings.
Yes, no front splitter and the rear wing are part of Grand AM GS rules. The SCCA World Challenge allows the big wing and splitter although the splitter can only stick out X inches from the bumper. Funny since the R that runs in Grand Am costs $50K more than the S that runs World Challenge but those are the rules. The additional costs is for upgrades that allow the cars to run two hour races plus other goodies like seam welding and more coolers.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel