The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

302S vs. 302R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So what is the difference between the BOSS 302S and 302R?

So I have this right there is a BOSS 302, BOSS 302 Leguna Seca, BOSS 302S, and BOSS 302R, any others I'm missing?

The 302R is designed for longer endurance races like Grand Am and specifically GS. The 302S is designed for shorter races like American Iron. The 302R costs about $55K more. Performance wise I don't there there is a huge difference. At LS this weekend the 302R was about five second a lap faster than the fastest time I've seen on a Boss 302. Ford has built a very capable car for us and I look forward to receiving mine on Friday. :)

5 DOT 0 said:
The 302R is designed for longer endurance races like Grand Am and specifically GS. The 302S is designed for shorter races like American Iron. The 302R costs about $55K more. Performance wise I don't there there is a huge difference. At LS this weekend the 302R was about five second a lap faster than the fastest time I've seen on a Boss 302. Ford has built a very capable car for us and I look forward to receiving mine on Friday. :)
Friday! I look forward to pics on Saturday :)

I believe the racing Boss's are missing the C-Stripes, which are on all the street Boss's, except stripe delete #1.

There are plenty of examples without the stripes. Here's one -

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2010/12/Boss-302s.jpg

stripedelete#1 said:
There are plenty of examples without the stripes. Here's one -

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/wp-content/uploads//2010/12/Boss-302s.jpg

That's not a Boss, genius. ::)

Stripedelete#1 (if that is your real name), if this is your super power - the power to not be able to see stripes, I have to tell you...don't quit your day job. That ability just isn't very good. You have no chance on your own (bad guys could sneak-up on you, just by wearing a striped shirt) and nobody that's any good will team-up with you. Imagine Batman pointing to a chalk outline on the street and saying, "The body was right there." There you would be looking around, saying, "Where?" Oh, he's going to love that.

Here is a video of the Boss 302S having it's stripes affixed at the factory (check the very end):
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKdnC7Z3AKY[/youtube]

So, the cars actually do come with stripes and then teams can delete them. You know, that has me thinking, these cars have been racing for awhile. I'm almost certain that one of them deleted their stripes before you stripedelete#1. Aw man, now you are going to have to change your name to stripedelete#1butonlyifyouarecountingstreetcarsandeventheniamnot100%certain.

Jimmy (who's Boss does not look like a rental car)

Jimmy Pribble said:
That's not a Boss, genius. ::)

So, while I was busy making fun of sd#1, I stumbled upon this mystery. The photo that sd#1 cited (and which I claimed was not a Boss) is here:

Boss-302s.jpg

See the "5.0" badge? It's Mustang GT, right? I mean, who would badge engineer a car to be lower-spec model? Right?

01-st-pete-world-challenge.jpg

Whoa. Same car, but now it is has Boss 302 stripes. So, does anybody know the story on this car? Is it a Mustang GT that has been upgraded to Boss spec? I checked the Kenny Brown site, but didn't see anything about it. This is about the spec of this racer, so I think it fits within this thread. Interesting.

Jimmy

That's Paul Brown's car and he owns Tiger Racing in SoCal. I believe he was part of the 302S development team for Ford Racing and helped with the 302S hood fabrication. He runs that car in the World Challenge GTS class.

Hopefully I have this correct. In the 2010 racing season Ford had development cars for the 302R and 302S programs. I'm not sure about the S but I believe there were at least two 302R cars. Some of that development went into the 302, 302R and 302S cars that are now on sale. I specifically asked Mark Wilson if I had the money could I buy either race car and use it as a track car without racing it and he said yes. Ford Racing has a terrific program with turn key race cars that anyone can buy and go racing.

5 DOT 0 said:
That's Paul Brown's car and he owns Tiger Racing in SoCal. I believe he was part of the 302S development team for Ford Racing and helped with the 302S hood fabrication. He runs that car in the World Challenge GTS class.

Hopefully I have this correct. In the 2010 racing season Ford had development cars for the 302R and 302S programs. I'm not sure about the S but I believe there were at least two 302R cars. Some of that development went into the 302, 302R and 302S cars that are now on sale. I specifically asked Mark Wilson if I had the money could I buy either race car and use it as a track car without racing it and he said yes. Ford Racing has a terrific program with turn key race cars that anyone can buy and go racing.

If you have the money and are able to get one of the (only) 50 made. If I could find one I would buy it> ;)

TMO Supporting Vendors