The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

305/35's square on stock GT350 wheels, does the front clear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Austin, TX
Hey everyone!

Just picked up my (new to me) 2016 GT350!! Took a look at my current tires on it and I've got PS4s on the front with about 8/32 tread and some Cup 2s with about 5.5/32 tread. I'm starting to look right now for what I can replace my Cup 2's with and realized it's actually kinda hard to find tires in 305/35/19 that people still make! My local Discount doesn't have PSS and Tirerack has them back-ordered.

IMG_8283 (1).jpg

I was thinking of running some NT555 G2's at 305/35 square (they don't make a 295/35). Not doing it so I can rotate (I want to keep the 11inch wheel in the rear) but mainly doing it so there's an accessible tire that I can get. Has anyone run 305/35 in the front? I see several 305/30's but I'm not sure if that extra tread wall will rub.

Also open to any other suggestions for what to do!

Are those the carbon wheels? And are they 19 inch?
And are they the ones you are planning to use?
Because I would recomend something more robust, this is the GT4 spec for them.

The brakes are powerful and reliable. The car is fitted with lightweight 18” x 11” forged alloy wheels from Forgeline and the car as tested was fitted with Pirelli P-Zero DH 305/680 R18 tyres however the tyre brand and compounds vary

Last edited:
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Austin, TX
I have a set of Cup2's 305 35 19 square I run on my 350R. They are mounted on 19X11' apex wheels.
How tight is the fit up front? The NT555’s are probably gonna be slightly thicker even though they say 305/35. Nittos run thick on the sidewall.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Austin, TX
Are those the carbon wheels? And are they 19 inch?
And are they the ones you are planning to use?
Because I would recomend something more robust, this is the GT4 spec for them.

The brakes are powerful and reliable. The car is fitted with lightweight 18” x 11” forged alloy wheels from Forgeline and the car as tested was fitted with Pirelli P-Zero DH 305/680 R18 tyres however the tyre brand and compounds vary
They are the 19inch OEM GT350 wheels. They have a 19” x 10.5” front and 19” x 11” rear.

I’m just looking for a good street tire right now. Will need to do something different for track usage.

Mainly concerned with the rub up front if I ran a 305/35/19 tire on the stock rims.

Raiderjatt02 is correct:
305/35 19's will work on your stock front rims without rubbing; they "square up" fine on the OEM front 10.5": rims without sidewall bulge, and no marshmallow/mushy feel on the track, if you drive up and track the car. I did this with some OEM rear tires I had in the garage: mounted 'em on the front rims and killed them on the track, no issues. The only issue is minimal grip-

Buy Nitto NT-01's in 305/30-R19: Absolutely THE best drive-up, for our car, in my exceedingly well-informed opinion!

IMHO, no reason to buy tires in 35 sidewall, unless you really like the look/ride height for street. As you noticed, they are almost impossible to find, and all the several Michelin varieties offer is high price and little grip. Never buy 295's, because can't rotate back to front. I haven't even looked for 35 sidewall for a couple years.

The few Slicks you can find in 19" rim size come in 618 or 705, or some sidewall # like that, and rubbing/clearance issues depend on car set-up- lots of helpful info on this site...
BTW, I thought the NT 555's were awful: wore unevenly, seemed like no grip despite treadwear # 200, louder on street, probably not as durable as Michelins for longterm street use: can't recommend.

NITTO NT-01's, for everything. Be super careful in rain/wet on street. Go to 19x11 square with 25mm spacers in front and long studs when ready. Etc, etc...Repeat after me: NT 01...Your car looks good in red. Get it dirty.

TMO Supporting Vendors