The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

315 R6s on all four corners

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
I didn't care for them in the rear Logan. Running them up front is fine, but you run out of gear pretty quickly using them on the rears so probably not a great option for a square setup. They might work fine on a short track.
That is my primary concern as well.

Tulsa, OK
cloud9 said:
I didn't care for them in the rear Logan. Running them up front is fine, but you run out of gear pretty quickly using them on the rears so probably not a great option for a square setup. They might work fine on a short track.

Thanks for the feedback. I'm already using every bit of gear I have at the track I normally run so I think I'll scratch this idea.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I was almost ready to get a set of 295/30-18 R7's as well. Was very happy to see Hoosier finally put up the Contis for sale, picked up a set of 305/660-18, leaving me almost at 26". Happy not to have to go to a taller rear end.

Mad Hatter said:
I was almost ready to get a set of 295/30-18 R7's as well. Was very happy to see Hoosier finally put up the Contis for sale, picked up a set of 305/660-18, leaving me almost at 26". Happy not to have to go to a taller rear end.
Did you pick them up on the clearance for $200/tire? Great price for those.

For those of you that have the Cortex offset front struts, how much of a spacer would be required up front to fit an 18 x 11 +55 wheel. If its around .5" that would be a feasible 11" square wheel set-up that could be rotated. On a related note, how difficult or expensive would it be to have a set of AST struts modified to resemble the Cortex offset units?

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
I'm not a fan of rolling the fenders on my car, so I'd also be interested in how much rim with could get stuffed under the front of the S197's with the Cortex Offset. I mentioned it to Filip but don't think he discussed 11's.

I'd like to go 10.5 or better square if I had a choice.

cp85gt said:
For those of you that have the Cortex offset front struts, how much of a spacer would be required up front to fit an 18 x 11 +55 wheel. If its around .5" that would be a feasible 11" square wheel set-up that could be rotated. On a related note, how difficult or expensive would it be to have a set of AST struts modified to resemble the Cortex offset units?
You should call Filip @ CorteX and ask him.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cp85gt said:

I think the rim will fit, but you might need to space and fine tune for tire fitment. And that will be ride height and camber dependent.

Modifying a different strut to match the CorteX offset would require welding and probably draining and rebuilding to do that. I'd say possible but not practical.

cp85gt said:

You'll need a spacer. At minimum something like 5mm. I've fit an 18x12 et38 up front. Depending on tire it may need a spacer. The equivalent positioning with an 18x11 relative to the strut is et50. There's only ~3mm of clearance, so it would be a close fit, but you can easily run an 18x11 in the back with 50 offset for a square setup if you stay with a 315/30 or 305/35.

The equivalent positioning with an 18x11 relative to the strut is et50. There's only ~3mm of clearance

So, at the 18" wheel height on the strut there is a little over 8" of clearance with the offset Cortex strut. That has to be a gain of what, 1/2" to 5/8" over the stock position strut.
It would seem then that a 1/4" spacer would be all that is required to fit a +55 18 x 11 wheel in the front. That's a small spacer, so not a big deal, especially if you can get a rotatable 11" wheel set-up. Judging from the photos that Cloud9 posted, the extra backspace from the Cortex struts would allow a flush fit 18 x 11 wheel in the front.

Grant 302

neema-
This pic of your wheel clearance gave me the impression that the Welds you're running have a very wide lip. And that a Forgestar would gain at least 1/8" and maybe a 1/4" judging from the pic.
18x12%2Bfront%2Bfitment%2B-%2B14

Does that make sense?

Chris-
If you haven't seen the thread and neema's other pics about the Cortex clearance, take a look here:
https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8954.0

I think you're right about the approximate clearance gain. The Cortex offset moves the lower hole out about 1", and at the lip of an 18" rim it should be at least 1/2" gain from stock even with the slightly larger strut tube.

Grant 302

I have my street/rain wheels/tires on right now, but I got some loose measurements this morning from 19x9 ET35 Forgestar F14s. Best I can tell it's about 1 3/4" +/- 1/16" clear to the lip. An ET35 12" Forgestar should be 1" closer than that and that leaves between 18mm to 20mm to increase offset. I don't think there's much if any clearance difference between the 18" vs 19" rims because of the way the strut is rotated.

16755989945_9dd77e6c76_z.jpg

16548723747_dcbb2247e9_z.jpg

Grant 302 said:
neema-
This pic of your wheel clearance gave me the impression that the Welds you're running have a very wide lip. And that a Forgestar would gain at least 1/8" and maybe a 1/4" judging from the pic.
18x12%2Bfront%2Bfitment%2B-%2B14

Does that make sense?

It's funny you mention that. I actually measured the exact backspacing of the wheel because the lip looked so large and I doubted the sizing of the wheel. Everything measured to be accurate. The Continental tire on the wheel exacerbates the look since it doesn't have a rim protector.

So, while it does have a big lip, the offset and backspace dimensions are still correct. A Forgestar with the same dimension wheels may have a smaller lip, but it would/should be positioned in the same location relative to the strut and fender. I think the main difference would be how the tire sits on the wheel, which would be negligible. What's interesting is to consider whether the extra ~1 inch in wheel width that most (?) wheels have is an industry standard.

I think an 18x12 is doable with 305s and 315s up front. Maybe wider if you're using a tire without a rim protecter and a little fender pull (e.g. using Continental 320/660/18s). It would be wise to use wheel spats to help mitigate newfound drag.

Hope that makes a little sense

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Grant 302 said:
Holy $*&(!

Looking forward to those results! 8)

@Grant 302 here is the deal

At a familiar track, only about a mile and a half long, the R7s (on their 7th heat cycle) were good for a full second over (scrub) PZeros.
Set my new personal best by 1.01 second.
Also won my race class (ST2) on Saturday (started 4th overall finished third overall), took the overall race pole on Sunday out of 27 big/small bore cars (finished 5th overall after I ran out of fuel on the final lap, doh!), and set a new track record for NASA TT2 at this track by 1.5 seconds.

Took a while and some very skeptical tire pressure adjustments to make the R7s really work but I think I have a pretty good handle on them now.
And best of all, there were 6 people in my race and TT class each day so I was able to bank a whole set of Hoosiers for free in contingency for the weekend :) Not sure if I will order R7s or A7s yet.

ArizonaBOSS said:
Also won my race class (ST2) on Saturday, took the overall race pole on Sunday out of 27 big/small bore cars (finished 5th overall after I ran out of fuel on the final lap, doh!), and set a new track record for NASA TT2 at this track by 1.5 seconds.
Congratulations! I look forward to watching some video when you get time to post.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
Congratulations! I look forward to watching some video when you get time to post.

There will be some later this week, gotta cut down today's race into a highlight/blooper reel because nobody wants to watch 35 mins of footage. :eek:

Grant 302 said:
Congrats on all accounts! 8) Awesome achievement!

And thanks for the update...a full second is still huge no matter how you look at it. :)

A second is a big deal at this track. I am very pleased with the tires. My best time was 6 laps into their 7th heat cycle.
I didn't "gently" heat cycle the tires like Hoosier recommends, either; so I'll be keeping an eye out to understand when they really start to fall off.

ArizonaBOSS said:
@Grant 302 here is the deal

At a familiar track, only about a mile and a half long, the R7s were good for a full second over PZeros.
Also won my race class (ST2) on Saturday (started 4th overall finished third overall), took the overall race pole on Sunday out of 27 big/small bore cars (finished 5th overall after I ran out of fuel on the final lap, doh!), and set a new track record for NASA TT2 at this track by 1.5 seconds.

Took a while and some very skeptical tire pressure adjustments to make the R7s really work but I think I have a pretty good handle on them now.
And best of all, there were 6 people in my race and TT class each day so I was able to bank a whole set of Hoosiers for free in contingency for the weekend :) Not sure if I will order R7s or A7s yet.
Outstanding! 8)

ArizonaBOSS said:
At a familiar track, only about a mile and a half long, the R7s were good for a full second over PZeros.

Impressive results Drew!! Very nice and congrats!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel