The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

315 vs 305 Square Setups

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
NC
Bill, not too worried with the tires being super fast. Been pleased withe the lap times and especially the wear of the SC3's. Especially since my son is starting to do more HPDE's with me. But since I have USAA and get the 25% discount on Goodyears, I'll be sticking with them. Just want someone else to be the test fitter of the 325's, :)

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Sydney
Bill, not too worried with the tires being super fast. Been pleased withe the lap times and especially the wear of the SC3's. Especially since my son is starting to do more HPDE's with me. But since I have USAA and get the 25% discount on Goodyears, I'll be sticking with them. Just want someone else to be the test fitter of the 325's, :)
So it's not worth upgrading to 325s just yet, am I right?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I know the 325s have been fitted on other cars, as a Gentleman from Wyoming mounted the Goodyears clear back in 2019. I actually reached out to him to see if he just used the stock rims and wedged them on or if he got some different rims? I have not heard back from him yet , but like others noted they can work, it is just a situation of what wheels, spacers, etc. are used. I was asking about the track surface because I know many have complained the 3Rs wear very fast , but I know a gentleman who gets close to 4 weekends on his and he is very aggressive. The key is he runs a very smooth track that is easy on tires. When folks say a tire wears out super fast ( like one weekend or two ) I often want to hear about the track surface. Prior to being repaved the track in Topeka could wear out a set or a couple of tires in one weekend. Now that track is good for 3-4 weekends with sticky rubber like Hoosiers. The track in Hastings, Nebraska was the same, and now with a repave drivers feel like their tires are still brand new after a weekend of track fun. I apologize but I think it is beneficial to find out about a track's surface since it has a dramatic effect on tire wear regardless of the brand. It can help TMO members determine what tires they may want to run if they know a bit more about the places they will run. Since there are many new members it seems this information can help in the final decision.

Thanks for the info on USAA's discount on Goodyears, since I am also a member and that is a nice extra discount to know about!!

I know the 325s have been fitted on other cars, as a Gentleman from Wyoming mounted the Goodyears clear back in 2019. I actually reached out to him to see if he just used the stock rims and wedged them on or if he got some different rims? I have not heard back from him yet , but like others noted they can work, it is just a situation of what wheels, spacers, etc. are used. I was asking about the track surface because I know many have complained the 3Rs wear very fast , but I know a gentleman who gets close to 4 weekends on his and he is very aggressive. The key is he runs a very smooth track that is easy on tires. When folks say a tire wears out super fast ( like one weekend or two ) I often want to hear about the track surface. Prior to being repaved the track in Topeka could wear out a set or a couple of tires in one weekend. Now that track is good for 3-4 weekends with sticky rubber like Hoosiers. The track in Hastings, Nebraska was the same, and now with a repave drivers feel like their tires are still brand new after a weekend of track fun. I apologize but I think it is beneficial to find out about a track's surface since it has a dramatic effect on tire wear regardless of the brand. It can help TMO members determine what tires they may want to run if they know a bit more about the places they will run. Since there are many new members it seems this information can help in the final decision.

Thanks for the info on USAA's discount on Goodyears, since I am also a member and that is a nice extra discount to know about!!

wheels.... lol

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
After a deep delving into the variations and slang of wheel and rims, even knowing the difference, I have decided the Midwestern slang is okay and I use both terms with equal fairness, ha. Kind of like Southerners having a Coke , when they want pop, or soda, or soda pop , depending on where they live.
I did clean my wheels and tyres on the Mustang yesterday, but the rims and tires I have stacked up in the garage I decided looked just fine. I think I will go have a pop and chill!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Nashville TN
After a deep delving into the variations and slang of wheel and rims, even knowing the difference, I have decided the Midwestern slang is okay and I use both terms with equal fairness, ha. Kind of like Southerners having a Coke , when they want pop, or soda, or soda pop , depending on where they live.
I did clean my wheels and tyres on the Mustang yesterday, but the rims and tires I have stacked up in the garage I decided looked just fine. I think I will go have a pop and chill!
Sure sure, but when you have a 12" long sandwich with your drink, what will you call THAT??

TMO Supporting Vendors