The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

350R is finally built!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

with an original production date of Aug 24, and an actual production date of Nov 19.
No complaints...I'm just thrilled to be able to be getting one of these tasty beasts.

Now the rail car tracking / stalking begins ;-)

Congrats! You need some aluminum R wheels for the track.

fuhrius said:
shameless plug ;-)
Congrats! Not a shameless plug, but a reality! You don't want to wreck those $10k wheels that probably won't be available in the parts bin for a few months as production keeps ramping up. Jump in, the water's warm! :)

I will consider getting a set of the wheels.

Side note of interest (probably only to me, though ;-)

I've just been pouring over the VIN list that's floating around and there have been ~1,000 cars assigned VIN's and mine is still a '1 of 1'
Only 3 R's without the electronics package. all three are AG. the other two have black roofs (one with OTT, one without).

VooDooBOSS said:
You're a brave soul ordering a street car without AC. I would have liked an R with A/C that omitted everything else. Well maybe the base radio too. :eek:

If there is one time you order a car without AC and radio, its with the GT350R, or the Viper ACR, or what was the old Z06 Corvette, and of course the Z28. No AC is an option up not down. If you want the R you want a track car that will drive on the street. If you want AC get the non-R that is such a huge weight save to not have AC. Its not AC delete, is not like ripping AC out of your Boss 302 - that's already there just leave it alone, but this option is a delete option and that's going to be very very rare.

Hey, is that wheel option in the yellow 302 a prototype Forgeline wheel? I saw another one of those in the Ford Racing parking lot last week and it was an earlier prototype test wheel - I didn't know they made a wheel like that for production GT350.

Wow an R already built! I was told (3) separate occasions an ETA to date...after ordering the car in August. Week of 26 Oct, then no later than 9 Nov, then 11 -24 Nov and now 7-13 Dec. This has been really fun! 10 of 10 on sarcasm Richter scale. What the crap. Oh and I'm the other guy without the tech package. Only black roof, car over and black stripes with red accent.

GProcac571 said:
Wow an R already built! I was told (3) separate occasions an ETA to date...after ordering the car in August. Week of 26 Oct, then no later than 9 Nov, then 11 -24 Nov and now 7-13 Dec. This has been really fun! 10 of 10 on sarcasm Richter scale. What the crap. Oh and I'm the other guy without the tech package. Only black roof, car over and black stripes with red accent.

wow...small world.
sweet. nice to meet you. And I see you also have a '12 boss in performance white...that's creepy.
thanks for getting the black roof, btw...kept us both '1 of 1's...for now, anyway. my original build date (not an ETA...VIN and build date) was Aug 24. Agreed that it's been a little frustrating.

VooDooBOSS said:
You're a brave soul ordering a street car without AC. I would have liked an R with A/C that omitted everything else. Well maybe the base radio too. :eek:

there are a lot braver folks out there.
but, as another poster said, this is the time to order a non-A/C / non-stereo car...I've never ordered a car where that was an option, so what the heck. Shortly after the GT350R arrives, I'll have a Focus RS too...so I'll have something fun (or, rather more fun that my Fusion Energi) to drive when it's either really hot, or really cold.

I almost never use the AC in my Boss and not to mention you have to pay for the AC and radio to be put into the R when one already paid to get an R without it. So great marketing scheme by Ford...pay to take it out...then pay to put it back in again.

Glad to see someone is taking advantage of being able to get a car that is truly track-prepped, with no A/C, and I'm glad Ford is offering this. If the number without A/C is that small, I wouldn't be surprised if they drop that option next year.

In the unlikely event I ever order an R, I'll do the same, and if I ever go looking for a used one, I'll track you down! I understand the need/desire for A/C, but honestly, I've only run the A/C in my Boss a handful of times in the three years I've owned it.

Hell, I ordered a 1983 Mustang notchback 5.0/5-speed with no A/C, no radio, in FLORIDA, and it wasn't even a car to be tracked. I just wanted it that way. No power windows/locks, no other foo foo, but I did get the excellent Recaros (yes, Ford offered Recaros way back then), the goofy odd-sized Michelin tires and forged wheels, limited-slip, and the leather wrapped steering wheel. Even way back then, the dealer required me to put down a big deposit in case I backed out, because he said he could never sell it. Back in the deep dark ages of 175HP 5.0L Mustangs, not having A/C made a HUGE difference. That car was a riot.

That's funny I had bought a 1983 GT that had no radio or A/C in 85 when I was stationed at FT. Campbell and I never recall missing the A/C. I only run the A/C when the wife is in the car. Any other time I have the windows down. I think the reason I bought the Boss was because when I saw it I immediately had a flash back of the 83 being white with the blacked out hood and yes what a riot for under 200 horses.

Not to get too far off track here, but your stories of 1983 5.0 mustangs reminds me of my '83 GLX with a 5.0. Hardtop with a 4 speed. It had a/c, etc but you guys are so right! That car was an absolute blast! Amazing how good 175 HP felt. I loved that car. Thanks for the memories! :)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel