The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

3rd to 6th Shift

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Years ago when I learned to shift, I was taught to shift 3 to 4 with an open palm facing away from me. This method works flawlessly on a 5 speed. It eliminates the chance of a 3 to 2 shift. Twice now, I have shifted to 6th from 3rd going down the drag strip using this method. I'm just wondering if anyone knows of a trick to avoid the 3 to 6 shift?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The gates are pretty narrow on this tranny...you may have to change your method. Basically you want to just pull back and "let it go where it wants to go"...

Don't turn your palm to the right, just have it face straight down, pull straight down, and you're done. Use the palm facing right when you go from 5th to 6th.

Brewmaster said:
Don't turn your palm to the right, just have it face straight down, pull straight down, and you're done. Use the palm facing right when you go from 5th to 6th.

I use this palm method 4th-5th at the track. Usually gives enough confidence that it's in 5th.
For 3rd-4th, i face my palm to the left and grab the shifter like a stick, and go straight down.

TMO Supporting Vendors