The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

SN95 3V Swapped New Edge Build Thread Profile - SN95 Mustangs

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Michigan
As some of you know, I've had a very difficult time deciding between the roll bar and full roll cage in this car. The roll bar seemed like a good option but left me with a lot of work down the road when it came to the inevitable roll cage, and so I decided to just install the full cage now.

As I had the roll cage all fitted up and ready to weld, something made me take a minute and ask why I was taking this car off the road and making it 'track-only'. I couldn't really come up with a reason that made sense- I can't afford to build the car to be competitive and go racing right now, nor was I very excited about not being able to drive the car on the street regularly.

So, last week sometime, just before I settled in to weld up the front half of the roll cage, I pulled the plug. I cut the tacks on the front half, put the dash back in it and welded up the roll-bar instead. And I have to say I'm very happy with my decision as of now. I'll be installing most of the interior and making a rear seat delete. Looking to ride the line of compromise between street car/track car for a dual duty, reliable ride.

But anyway, here is one last photo of the top half of the cage before I took it apart._J2_0014.jpg

The fit was awesome. Hard to tell here because it's sitting down in position to weld the tops of the tubes. But, I can say that I successfully built a very nice, tight fitting roll cage. I labeled everything and set it aside in case I do one day decide to install it. But for now, we're going with the roll bar. It will provide adequate roll-over protection and enable me to use my 5 point harnesses and HANS device.

I cut 1/4" off the bottom of the main hoop legs and it tucks tight up agains the headliner, now. It was basically tight against the sheet metal before. I have the rear stays and diagonals welded to the main hoop at this point. I need to finish welding the plinth boxes into the car and weld the roll bar in place. I'm almost done with the seat mount bracket and then I can place the harness bars. Still a ton to do before leaving for GingerMan this Friday afternoon, but I"m going to make it. It's just gonna be a tough, busy week.

_J2_0033-2.jpg_J2_0037.jpgScreen Shot 2022-06-13 at 8.11.06 AM.jpg_J2_0006.jpg_J2_0007.jpg_J2_0025.jpgScreen Shot 2022-06-13 at 8.29.20 AM.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors