The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
At my past employer ( Woodhouse Auto Family ) we had a Motorsports Division that was primarily tied to Viper preparation and mods and we used a variety of different pads over the years, but ended up using a lot of Carbotechs and G- Locs. One of the things a dummy like me figured out was it was quite important to ask about someone's driving and braking style , along with where they tracked their car the most often. I run an R18 in the front of my Mustang and an R10 G-Loc in the rear. This would be equivalent to a 24 Carbotech up front and around a 12 in the rear, but the thing is this suits my driving style ---- very late , very aggressive braking. The 18 G-Loc and 24 Carbotech are essentially their endurance pads, but they take alot of heat and I have a tendency to generate alot with my braking style. A lower temp pad works great in the back and you may have to try a few to find which works best ( I switched to a 10 after going through 8s a bit too quick for a rear pad ). The best answer since members have their favorites and our cars are often are set up differently is to ask the Pros. Keep in mind our goals may be dissimilar to the guy next to us in the grid depending whether we are doing HPDE , Time Trials , or Road Racing.The fortunate thing is many of us can give you ideas and as you have found out TMO members are a very helpful group, yet why not call the Professionals who are also Site Sponsors --KNS Brakes, Optimum Performance , or Vorshlag. Tell them your car set up , you skill set, what tracks you run, and what you hope to accomplish.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
At my past employer ( Woodhouse Auto Family ) we had a Motorsports Division that was primarily tied to Viper preparation and mods and we used a variety of different pads over the years, but ended up using a lot of Carbotechs and G- Locs. One of the things a dummy like me figured out was it was quite important to ask about someone's driving and braking style , along with where they tracked their car the most often. I run an R18 in the front of my Mustang and an R10 G-Loc in the rear. This would be equivalent to a 24 Carbotech up front and around a 12 in the rear, but the thing is this suits my driving style ---- very late , very aggressive braking. The 18 G-Loc and 24 Carbotech are essentially their endurance pads, but they take alot of heat and I have a tendency to generate alot with my braking style. A lower temp pad works great in the back and you may have to try a few to find which works best ( I switched to a 10 after going through 8s a bit too quick for a rear pad ). The best answer since members have their favorites and our cars are often are set up differently is to ask the Pros. Keep in mind our goals may be dissimilar to the guy next to us in the grid depending whether we are doing HPDE , Time Trials , or Road Racing.The fortunate thing is many of us can give you ideas and as you have found out TMO members are a very helpful group, yet why not call the Professionals who are also Site Sponsors --KNS Brakes, Optimum Performance , or Vorshlag. Tell them your car set up , you skill set, what tracks you run, and what you hope to accomplish.

Best of luck!
Well done on the perspective piece, it's very important and often overlooked.

With that said, I don't get the Gloc/Carbotech love having tried a few combinations myself.

Ferodo and Raybestos are far superior for me and how I drive the car, although I was impressed with the DCT70 front/60 rear on my 4V SN95 this year.

My gas gauge drops to empty and "distance to empty" in the right display goes to under 20 when I autocross accompanied by a beep. I had over 3/4 tank, and this isn't the first time, it's done it every time I've autocrossed it (3 times).

Anyone else experience this?

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
What year is your car?

I don't think it's ever happened to me. But then again, my hearing's not so good any more, and I wouldn't ever look at any of the car's OE instrumentation during an autocross run under any circumstances other than having spun and apparently not getting to the clutch pedal in time.

The reason I asked about 'year' is that I don't think the IP in the '08 is all that conducive to reading when you're at speed even in the much less frantic track session environment. Too low, and too dark, and that's with me sitting with the seat down as low as it'll go. I recently pulled this image from a track day video for some other discussion, and while the little Aeroforce gauge indicated by the red arrow is easily usable for data, the OE IP (green) is all but unusable much of the time. Helmet camera view, essentially the same as eyeball view.

Instrument warning light visibility.jpg

Norm

Last edited:
Utah
Happens to me every session in my 06 Mustang GT, regardless of how much I have in the tank. My gauge is pretty accurate on the street, so I plan to start TT timed sessions with 1/2 tank, use the computer to track gallons used and just fill with that amount for the next session.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Considering a new AiM dash for the reasons Norm stated. Anyone have experience with that on a mostly-stock interior for these cars?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
What year is your car?

I don't think it's ever happened to me. But then again, my hearing's not so good any more, and I wouldn't ever look at any of the car's OE instrumentation during an autocross run under any circumstances other than having spun and apparently not getting to the clutch pedal in time.

The reason I asked about 'year' is that I don't think the IP in the '08 is all that conducive to reading when you're at speed even in the much less frantic track session environment. Too low, and too dark, and that's with me sitting with the seat down as low as it'll go. I recently pulled this image from a track day video for some other discussion, and while the little Aeroforce gauge indicated by the red arrow is easily usable for data, the OE IP (green) is all but unusable much of the time. Helmet camera view, essentially the same as eyeball view.
Norm

It's a 2006.

Happens to me every session in my 06 Mustang GT, regardless of how much I have in the tank. My gauge is pretty accurate on the street, so I plan to start TT timed sessions with 1/2 tank, use the computer to track gallons used and just fill with that amount for the next session.

Hm well that's good that I'm not alone here, any way to prevent this?

Utah
It's a 2006.

Hm well that's good that I'm not alone here, any way to prevent this?

Mine is a 2006 as well. I think it is because of the saddle tank and when it pulls gas from the left side in left turns, the sensor goes down and the computer thinks you only have 50 miles left. I actually think I used to run full and that would help, but in TT I don't anymore. I just expect it to beep at me. I have hit the reset button on the computer a few times on the front straight, just to change the display back to time or gallons used.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
My gas gauge drops to empty and "distance to empty" in the right display goes to under 20 when I autocross accompanied by a beep. I had over 3/4 tank, and this isn't the first time, it's done it every time I've autocrossed it (3 times).

Mine is an 06 as well and it will do it every time if I'm around 1/2 tank. So I just started running it a 3/4 full or more and that was enough to make it stop. The fuel level gauge is in the pass side tank and the pump is on the drivers side. I didn't really worry much about the low fuel beep. I was more concerned about the fuel pumps sucking air. I figure the car is already overweight, whats another 3-4 gals of fuel. It seems to be working well enough for me :)

winner2.jpg

trophies.jpg
3 for 3 in 2020 (6 wins in a row including end of '19).
4 for 6 in 2019 (other two were 2nds).
Plus 2 more back in 2018 when I first decided to get more serious.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
Nice, have fun. Have you been out to Nelson Ledges in it? That used to be my home track. Obviously Mid-Ohio is awesome too. Those are my 2 favorite tracks.
I havent tracked this car yet, no. I did mid ohio earlier this year in my 97 cobra though.

2021 I plan to have the 3v on track heavily. I have a lot to do to it this winter to prep, but am looking forward to next years hpde season.

TMO Supporting Vendors