The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer47

Still winning after 30+ years
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
SE WI
315/30R18 18x11, 335/30R18 18x12, A7's

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
335/30/18 square

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I've got 18x9.5s running 275 Hankooks right now. I have Apex 18x11s waiting in storage and plan to put 315s on them.

Looking to update my oil pan this “offseason” and was wondering what people are running. Canton,moroso, 2013 GT500 or none at all. I like the OE gt500 as it may be better long road but I was curious what everyone is running.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Looking to update my oil pan this “offseason” and was wondering what people are running. Canton,moroso, 2013 GT500 or none at all. I like the OE gt500 as it may be better long road but I was curious what everyone is running.
While the later Coyote pans may fit the short block, the oil pickup will not.
I believe (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) you will need to stick with a 3 valve specific pan or fabricate a one off pickup tube. Moroso and Canton seem to be the popular candidates for this generation.

Looking to upgrade to the 2011+ uca mount which was explained to me is a better option than the shorter one currently on my 05. Is there anything special I need to look out for in the install or is it plug and play?

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Looking to upgrade to the 2011+ uca mount which was explained to me is a better option than the shorter one currently on my 05. Is there anything special I need to look out for in the install or is it plug and play?

You just need the UCA mount from a 2011-2014. I don't know if the hardware is the same.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Kenny Brown has a nice option with a longer arm for a longer instant center and better antisquat.
If you are upgrading this is a nice option.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I think on the early S197s you must drop the gas tank. Later S197s, I think you could get away without having to.

Norm

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What are you all doing for clutches? Will the stock clutch last with HPDEs? Looking at a LUK OEM replacement clutch kit and flywheel. $290.

Thanks.
I ran a McLeod RXT double disc on a Fidanza aluminum flywheel. Totally Bullet proof.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Is that needed for stock power levels? I'm struggling to justify the prices of these upgraded clutches. Will stock not survive?
No but it will take a beating. The stock clutch is very limited. Road racing is very hard on clutches. I would not put a stock clutch in a track car.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
No but it will take a beating. The stock clutch is very limited. Road racing is very hard on clutches. I would not put a stock clutch in a track car.

I second that. Even with a stock engine and only running HPDEs my S550 factory clutch was toast after about 25 track days. The new Exedy clutch has made a huge difference in shifting, though it can't reverse the damage to the trans syncros. That syncro problem will get rectified over the winter.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I second that. Even with a stock engine and only running HPDEs my S550 factory clutch was toast after about 25 track days. The new Exedy clutch has made a huge difference in shifting, though it can't reverse the damage to the trans syncros. That syncro problem will get rectified over the winter.
I also switched to the Exedy hyper single. I hope its as durable as my RXT was.

Have you don’t it? I was reading the the stock mount holes are larger than aftermarket holes. I was looking at the bmr mount but not a fan of the “snowman” mounting holes. Was wondering if I’m overthinking it and just get a take off upper mount from a buddy of mine.

You just need the UCA mount from a 2011-2014. I don't know if the hardware is the same.

98F9B34A-956B-4484-9D91-52A7603EDB5D.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors