The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

4.0 S197 for track car?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
@blacksheep-1 's new car really got me thinking. I've been looking at getting a cheap track car for awhile now and was leaning toward Miata but I'd much rather have a Mustang. I'm not looking for a fast car, I already have that. I want something My wife and I can take to autocross or I can drive to the track. I found a couple cars locally that I'm trying to set times to go look at. One is a 2005 base 5-speed, the other one is a 2007 5-speed with the Pony Package.

What do I need to be aware of or watch out for on these cars? I've never owned a S197. I was thinking a Mishimoto radiator, good pads, tires, maybe springs/struts/sway bars? I'm trying to keep it simple and cheap. Teach me.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think it’s a good option but...

I’d rather the 2011+ 3.7L. And hoping to get moving on that project myself after Covid nonsense is over. Not that the earlier 6 is a bad place to start, but there are a lot of little improvements to the chassis after 2010. So if you don’t mind the 4.0L...I’d get a ‘10MY car.

I’d add more safety stuff to your list either way. And I’d add an oil cooler to any road course application.

What tires are you planning to run? I’d build the car around whatever tire and go from there.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
The 2011+ cars aren't nearly as cheap so it doesn't make as much sense. I will probably drive this car for a year and resell it. Mainly looking for cheap seat time more than anything else, my other car is moody and is usually expensive, lol.

There are several good options for 245/45-17's that should fit on the stock wheels between $130-180 so I'll likely go that route.

The 3.7s are really a better engine design, but I got the whole car for $12K, there was an 07GT near me, that had been stolen and recovered for $2500, it still had the drive line in it, so deals are out there.
The SCCA T4 class which my car was built for is basically a stock V6 car, with the Ford Performance suspension kit on it and a Ron Davis radiator and a cage, that's it. I run take off 275 Hoosiers on 18x9.5 wheels. I have 3 sets of the 8 inch "pony" wheels and 255s which is the actual legal wheels for T4.
I wouldn't pass up an 05-09 V8, even though they are 3 valve cars, they are fine and for the most part trouble free. the big plus with my car, was that I didn't have to build a cage, and it had all the suspension goodies already in it.
Before you think 225 RWHP is a bit "light" it wasn't that long ago that V8s had less than 200RWHP, my 84 Z28 ran great and I autocrossed the heck out of it, it only had 195HP. The other good thing about ii, is that less HP less maintenance, less work.

Last edited:

Grant 302

The 2011+ cars aren't nearly as cheap so it doesn't make as much sense. I will probably drive this car for a year and resell it. Mainly looking for cheap seat time more than anything else, my other car is moody and is usually expensive, lol.

There are several good options for 245/45-17's that should fit on the stock wheels between $130-180 so I'll likely go that route.
That makes sense. Street tires or slicks?

It’s also why I threw the ‘10 option out there...but those still probably come at a bit of a price premium over earlier cars for what they are.

Carry on. Sounds like a good plan to me.

Grant 302

Are you doing a V6 build?

That’s the plan. Main obstacle is that I have a friend’s WRX at the house that he needs to get. He’s in Hawaii. We were getting things set to go in April/May before Covid. Also need to donate my ‘00 drag car. Gonna want the tax deduction and the garage space.

CorteX and suspension on the ‘11 GT is supposed to be for this V6. Already have most of the parts for the project in the garage.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
That’s the plan. Main obstacle is that I have a friend’s WRX at the house that he needs to get. He’s in Hawaii. We were getting things set to go in April/May before Covid. Also need to donate my ‘00 drag car. Gonna want the tax deduction and the garage space.

CorteX and suspension on the ‘11 GT is supposed to be for this V6. Already have most of the parts for the project in the garage.

Are you keeping both? I'm not giving up my '02, just taking a break from it.

Grant 302

Are you keeping both? I'm not giving up my '02, just taking a break from it.
That’s what I assumed. You’d keep the ‘02 and just temporarily use the V6 for more seat time. Makes perfect sense to me.

I have trouble getting rid of cars. Maximum Mustang count is the unofficially three and I intend to keep it there. Currently have ‘12 Boss (stock aside from cooling mods), ‘11 Brembo GT daily, 00 GT drag racer. Friends ‘02 WRX that I co-drive is stored here.

So dump the ‘00 and get a ‘11-‘14 V6 for street legal CA smog compliant dedicated track use. Ship my friend's WRX so I have more space.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
I just looked at the classing calculator and for the 07 V6 I could run 275's with some MCS coilovers and still make Prod A with the stock motor. I think that would be a pretty well handling car.

PatientZero

@restless_performance
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Kansas City, Missouri
Will you be able to change sway bars too?

Sounds like a good plan if you still have room to make other adjustments like that.

Yes, sway bars and small stuff like bushings are not written into the modifiers for power/weight.

So I drug this home today. 100% Bone Stock '07 with V6 Performance Package. The guy gave me a 3-ring binder full of receipts for every single thing ever done to the car including the original window sticker. A couple dings here and there on the body but otherwise very solid car. He literally had new front struts and wheels bearings installed yesterday.
IMG_0922.jpgIMG_0924.jpgIMG_0925.jpgIMG_0935.JPGIMG_0937.JPGIMG_0938.JPG

Hello everyone I am new to track racing. My friend track races all the time and got me interested in track racing to so I have now decided to make my car as much as I can a track car I have a 2009 4.0 V6 Mustang
With cold air intake, shorty headers, high flow cats, mid x pipes, bmr lowering springs 1.5", adjustable panhard bar, rear lower control arms and relocation brackets, 91 oct tune and zex 100 shot wet nitrous system. I could use help on advice on parts I should be looking at getting.
I do know carroll shelby had a 4.0 V6 Mustang used for track car these are the 4.0's he has.
So I know it's possible.

shelby-terlingua-mustang.jpg

shelbycs6006.jpg

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Hello everyone I am new to track racing. My friend track races all the time and got me interested in track racing to so I have now decided to make my car as much as I can a track car I have a 2009 4.0 V6 Mustang
With cold air intake, shorty headers, high flow cats, mid x pipes, bmr lowering springs 1.5", adjustable panhard bar, rear lower control arms and relocation brackets, 91 oct tune and zex 100 shot wet nitrous system. I could use help on advice on parts I should be looking at getting.
I do know carroll shelby had a 4.0 V6 Mustang used for track car these are the 4.0's he has.
So I know it's possible.

Warpony, welcome. I would advise setting up a build thread. It will make it easier for folks to see everything you've got going on! Aside from that, if you haven't been to a track event yet, check out a local HPDE and get signed up with an instructor to show you the ropes.

TMO Supporting Vendors