The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

4:10 Gears

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone used 4:10's in their Boss? I'm sick of the rear end whine. If I install a new gear set I thought I might try the 4:10's. I remember that the push rod 302's had a drone sound around 45 mph. I don't want to deal with that again either. Please post your thoughts.

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
I have done several gear reduction changes in my Mustangs over the years and typically, when you increase the ratio, you get more noise and vibration (amplified as the driveline is spinning faster).

I have found the Ford 8.8 design to be particularly prone to noise issues and bearing failures at the wheel end due to the fact that the wheel bearings are roller bearings rather than balls like the Ford nine inch. You might want to see if Currie or someone else can make you up a replacement rear end assembly for the S197. That will be a very expensive way to go but almost certain to be better in the noise department than the 8.8 incher. My 1970 Boss, with 80000 original miles and original bearings does not make an excessive amount of noise.

Just my thoughts...

John

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
My old saying was dont fear the gear (back when I ran 4.30's in my cobra). 4.10's will be great if you are going to drag race a lot. The rear noise comes a lot from the set up and gear brand. I would go with 4.10's and have someone that does it more then once a year install it. I have installed a few sets in my life.

If your current set up is noisy have you pursued replacement under warranty? I have seen others get them replaced a few times under warranty for noise.

FWIW I installed dynamat in the trunk and it cut down on the rear end noise pretty well.

Justin said:
My old saying was dont fear the gear (back when I ran 4.30's in my cobra). 4.10's will be great if you are going to drag race a lot. The rear noise comes a lot from the set up and gear brand. I would go with 4.10's and have someone that does it more then once a year install it. I have installed a few sets in my life.

If your current set up is noisy have you pursued replacement under warranty? I have seen others get them replaced a few times under warranty for noise.

FWIW I installed dynamat in the trunk and it cut down on the rear end noise pretty well.

I haven't pursued warranty hard enough. It's just a hassle. It seems no one is using 4:10's.

TMO Supporting Vendors