The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

4/8/13 Autoweek Article - Ford COO Mark Fields on Boss 302 short run

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

See following link. Mark Fields states that short Boss run (2012/2013) was always the plan to "preserve the value of those vehicles."

Thank you Ford!

http://tinyurl.com/cs8rcn9

Cool.

"
By: Greg Migliore on 4/08/2013

The abbreviated run of the track-oriented Ford Mustang Boss 302 was by design, says Ford Motor Co. COO Mark Fields.

Speaking April 6 at the Barrett-Jackson auction in Palm Beach, Fla., Fields told Speed TV the two-year availability helps protect the Mustang's value for collectors.

“We really want to preserve the value of those vehicles,” Fields said on Speed.

The Boss 302 was revealed at Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca in 2010 ahead of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance as a street-legal race car that saluted the original 1969 version.

“It's a race car you can put a license plate on,” the legendary Parnelli Jones said at the unveiling in 2010. He raced the original to victory in the 1970 Trans-Am season opener at Laguna Seca.

The Boss Mustang was available for the 2012 and 2013 model years. It ran a 5.0-liter V8 pumping out 444 hp and 380 lb-ft of torque. Like the 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 revealed last month at the New York auto show, the Boss placed an emphasis on track-readiness and agility, rather than pure power. Neither the Boss nor the Z/28 is the highest-powered pony car offered by their brands—rather, each features intensive chassis refinements and weight-saving elements.

The Mustang employed lightweight 19-inch alloy racing wheels, manually adjustable shocks and struts, and firmer coil springs and suspension bushings at the corners. It was slotted between the Mustang GT and Shelby GT 500 in Ford's stable.

Fields, who was promoted from Ford's president of the Americas to chief operating officer on Dec. 1, 2012, is widely believed to be a strong candidate to succeed CEO Alan Mulally. Fields also told Speed that racing will continue to be a strong element of Ford's business plan.

“Motorsports is in our blood,” he said.

The Blue Oval exec also told the television network that Lincoln remains a priority, though being competitive could take five to 10 years.

“This is a journey,” he said.

Fields left the broadcast booth right before a rare 1953 Mercury Monterey four-door Woody station wagon was sold for $55,000, including buyer's fees.

Read more: http://www.autoweek.com/article/20130408/carnews/130409849#ixzz2PvQlAcuj
Follow us: @AutoweekUSA on Twitter | AutoweekUSA on Facebook"

Ford-Mustang-Boss-302.jpg&maxW=630

The owner in me appreciates the collectability aspect, but the competitor in me wants Ford to answer Chevy's challenge sooner than later. Would really like to see a track version of the mustang continue to evolve, even if its not called BOSS.

askjeffro said:
The owner in me appreciates the collectability aspect, but the competitor in me wants Ford to answer Chevy's challenge sooner than later. Would really like to see a track version of the mustang continue to evolve, even if its not called BOSS.
The enthusiast in me just wants my freaking clutch to work and my car to stop throwing codes... :'(

NFSBOSS said:
The enthusiast in me just wants my freaking clutch to work and my car to stop throwing codes... :'(

I've been away from the forums for a bit. Didn't realize you were having so many issues, sorry to hear that. Any sense of what is driving the problems?

askjeffro said:
I've been away from the forums for a bit. Didn't realize you were having so many issues, sorry to hear that. Any sense of what is driving the problems?
I'm just venting. I just got back from a track day and my clutch would stick to the floor on every shift. So I drove all day in 4th gear. Last last Nov my dealer pulled my tranny and clutch but didn't find anything wrong. This was my first track day since then and it's worse. :mad:

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
NFSBOSS said:

If Ford Corporate has any common sense, someone from there should send you a PM, and damn soon, and get your issue resolved quickly.

Can you say VIP?

NFSBOSS said:
I'm just venting. I just got back from a track day and my clutch would stick to the floor on every shift. So I drove all day in 4th gear. Last last Nov my dealer pulled my tranny and clutch but didn't find anything wrong. This was my first track day since then and it's worse. :mad:

Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble. I already had an aftermarket clutch line and high temp fluid but before the last track event I pulled the clutch helper spring and vacuum bled the master 3 times during the track day. Seemed to help as the clutch never stuck to the floor.

NFSBoss. . . ummm. . . clutch problems and codes? Yikes! Am I nervous reading that having just written a cheque for a new '13 and eagerly awaiting delivery? I guess this is the part where I just go all "hey, it's no big deal" and cross my fingers.

Having said that, I have a question about using the clutch while tracking the car. Back in another century when I was younger and had exactly 100% fewer children than I do today and could engage in such wondrous foolishness, I was taught to drive formula cars without using the clutch, at least whenever out at racing speed. Can't say I was always successful with downshifts, but upshifts were never a problem (while downshifts were an art I never mastered 100% reliably). I seem to recall we did this because the cars had no synchomesh, and the clutch would never survive a race's worth of up and down shifts.

Now, fast-forwarding to today, I'm curious to know: should I clutch when shifting the Boss on the track? Is it bad not to use the clutch? Is it good? I suspect this falls into the category of really dumb questions, but asking them is my one special talent.

Bad Pony said:
NFSBoss. . . ummm. . . clutch problems and codes? Yikes! Am I nervous reading that having just written a cheque for a new '13 and eagerly awaiting delivery? I guess this is the part where I just go all "hey, it's no big deal" and cross my fingers.

Having said that, I have a question about using the clutch while tracking the car. Back in another century when I was younger and had exactly 100% fewer children than I do today and could engage in such wondrous foolishness, I was taught to drive formula cars without using the clutch, at least whenever out at racing speed. Can't say I was always successful with downshifts, but upshifts were never a problem (while downshifts were an art I never mastered 100% reliably). I seem to recall we did this because the cars had no synchomesh, and the clutch would never survive a race's worth of up and down shifts.

Now, fast-forwarding to today, I'm curious to know: should I clutch when shifting the Boss on the track? Is it bad not to use the clutch? Is it good? I suspect this falls into the category of really dumb questions, but asking them is my one special talent.
Use the clutch.

TMO Supporting Vendors