The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

4 of top 5 at Talladega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Factor in all the cars taking out all the other cars.......it's amazing somebody was still around to win this race...life before restrictor plates was great...that's why they made tracks like Taledega......and Daytona. The mind set now to win a race at Both superspeedway tracks is the same...........Be out in front so you won't be collected!

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I have a hard time calling Daytona and 'Dega racing. More like very fast close driving interspersed with extremely violent wrecks. And the whole idea that an event with such randomness to it is part of the final process of winning a championship is just lunacy. But that's just me.

JDee, You are right on all counts, but that's what restrictor plate "racing" is about. It takes them almost a lap just to get up to speed! Once at speed they need a draft partner to do anything. The super speedways turned into oxymorons sad to say.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Too big and too fast. Unrestricted qualifying lap at 212MPH over 30years ago brought on the change.
Time for another change?? Maybe.
I would like to see more road course action. We will next year. Charlotte will have a road course race. More to Follow??? I hope.

Road course racing is a nice change of pace (pun intended) but most drivers aren't comfortable with that style of racing. The mile and a half tracks seem to be NASCAR's bread & butter now-a-days but can get boring after a while.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I don't know if I agree....today. 25 years ago road course ringers ruled the day. Now, the younger drivers grow up driving on many different types of tracks. This helps them develop. Much like sniper school helped me control a handgun. Many techniques cross over.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I like all kinds of car racing, horse racing, dog racing and even Stiletto racing...

stiletto_relay.jpg

But my favorites are still the super speedways and the road courses.

Truex wins # 7 of the year at Kansas! In the old days, he'd be on his way to a championship. Now, he has to go thru more "playoffs". I know he's not Ford but He & his team gotta be good to get this far......And I don't wanna hear anything about being fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Truex ain’t broke, why fix it? LOL

Interesting to note he is on the one team which is located in Colorado.

Three Fords still in the mix.

I am not sure I like the idea of a one race shootout for the top four. Perhaps a four race final. Sure is fun to watch though.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors