The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

4" or larger brake duct kit for 2012 B302?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS said:
If you have real race pads, the pad temp doesn't matter so much. The caliper temp is important though as it is indicative of fluid temperature (which will be higher than the caliper). Rotor temp won't really matter, you're not gonna melt em.

If you're on dual purpose street/track pads like an HPS or HP+, then pad temperature matters--because those are useless above 750-800* F at the pad surface. You will know when this happens because the pedal will still be stiff but there is minimal deceleration. Also there is the smell. :) You won't get a good read on pad temperature by looking at the caliper--the pad temperature will be MUCH higher as it is the actual friction interface in the system (along w/ rotor).

For reference, PF01s are supposed to be good up to 2000*F (optimal below 1400) and DTC70s good up to 1600*F.

Pete how aggressive it that pagid to the rotor?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
In general Pagid pads are easier on rotors than other race quality pads. Wear varies by compound. They also tend to wear more evenly (smoother) than others, especially as compared to Hawks.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Another thing to keep in mind with brake temperatures is the effect the heat has on the tires and wheels. Like Drew said, cast iron rotors aren't going to melt and most of us run pads good to 1600-2000 degrees F, but the tire construction can be affected, brake hoses, caliper pistons, wheel bearings and ball joints all get a lot of heat transfer that we have to watch out for especially when running in races and track sessions that are 1/2 hour or more in length. I really want to see a 4" kit for the '10-'12 and '13-'14 cars that doesn't cost a thousand dollars. we need backing plates and fascia ducts designed and fabricated, I would pay $400 for a set if Mike or Puffer made them.
Steve

Wingrider

'11 GT500, 99% Track Car. Lots of mods & I coach
I'm circling back on this thread to see if anyone sorted out a 4" duct solution for S197's?
I have a 3" set up now on my GT500 (Boss 302 kit) but have the nose open and thought it might be upgrade time.
Vorshlag has one, but the say it wont work with the StopTech BB kits.....

EDIT- just ordered from Vorshlag as they can be modified to fit with StopTech calipers.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I'm circling back on this thread to see if anyone sorted out a 4" duct solution for S197's?
I have a 3" set up now on my GT500 (Boss 302 kit) but have the nose open and thought it might be upgrade time.
Vorshlag has one, but the say it wont work with the StopTech BB kits.....

EDIT- just ordered from Vorshlag as they can be modified to fit with StopTech calipers.
We have a few good solutions. Sal makes a system that has worked well for himself and others. I am sure he will be along

Late to the party as usual.
Direct fit for Stoptech and others.

1.JPG2.JPG3.JPG

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Miami
I had to end up making my own using a PVC reducer then shaving it and drilling 2 big holes in the lower grille. True 4 inch all the way to the rotor

Utah
These are on eBay right now, BOSS 302S 4" Carbon duct intakes:

Then buy the rotor backing plate from @Fabman. Top notch setup.

TMO Supporting Vendors