The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 40 Grit Design Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi all, I often get the question of "how did you build your splitter and how can I build my own composite parts?" By creating a prototype buck and pulling molds to layup fiberglass or carbon fiber parts anything is possible. It's difficult to express in words but the truth is, it is a relatively simple process. It does however require many, many hours of labor and patience if you want great results. I was going through my thousands of photos, trying to clean my phone up and I collected these in-process photos to share. While a splitter like this may be fairly complex, this process can be used on smaller parts on a more manageable scale. So here is a brief summary of the process:

1. Thumbs up for the camera
IMG_0230.JPG
2. Start with a known quantity such as an existing part that has mounting provisions already if possible. in this case it was a 2012 Boss 302 splitter
IMG_0231.JPG
3. Reinforce floppy parts, create basic shape from MDF
IMG_0246.JPG
4. Use body filler to refine shape
IMG_0713.JPG
5. Add additional thickness if needed
IMG_0754.JPG
6. Sand details smooth
IMG_0794.JPG
7. Add sculpting clay to close-off b-side and add draft to avoid die-lock
IMG_0801.JPG
8. Finish sand in 120 grit before primer
IMG_0869.JPG
9. Spray a generous coat of 2K or high build primer
IMG_0910.JPG
10. Block sand 120 up to 1000 grit paper
IMG_0914.JPG
11. Polish and wax using SC Johnson paste wax, then apply PVA mold release
IMG_0985.JPG
12. apply layer of gell coat, brush application is fine
IMG_1131.JPG
13. apply critical first fiberglass layer while gell coat is tacking up, removing all air pockets and voids by rolling or brushing out
IMG_1138.JPG
14. Apply multiple layers of fiberglass using epoxy resin. I believe I used Blemm brand product for this
IMG_1218.JPG
15. Pop mold off of prototype, flip over and layup material starting with waxing, polishing and PVA the mold. Lay up by hand or vacuum infuse. Plenty of YouTube videos out there to reference. Unfortunately, I didn't do such a great job of documenting that part of the process. Here is the first part out of the mold:
IMG_0212.JPG
16. Protect exposed carbon with UV rated clearcoat or paint and enjoy!
front 2.jpg

Last edited:
One of the cleanest and mean looking S197’s out there! I’ve followed along on IG for a while. Thanks for the high-level how to
Thanks Kevo_lo! Yeah definitely a high level summary but I figured if anyone was interested in doing some of this work they can reach out here with any questions I’d do my best to answer them. Cheers!

TMO Supporting Vendors