The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 @4o6racing Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I need to go back through your build thread and study your oiling mods - definitely going to take the opportunity to upgrade oiling and cooling while it’s apart.
I'll shoot you a PM

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
67GTA

I would pull the head before I wrote a check for a new block. If the ring is not broken, there may not be and cylinder wall damage. The area of the piston above the upper ring does not touch the cylinder wall. If the piston broke clean, likely from detonation and the ring is still intact. You may dodge the big bullet. Pistons, upgraded rods and normal refresh maybe all you need.
If Fabman would let us in on his "Oil System Upgrades" we can spend our Christmas money early. :banghead: :hellyeah:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
67GTA

I would pull the head before I wrote a check for a new block. If the ring is not broken, there may not be and cylinder wall damage. The area of the piston above the upper ring does not touch the cylinder wall. If the piston broke clean, likely from detonation and the ring is still intact. You may dodge the big bullet. Pistons, upgraded rods and normal refresh maybe all you need.
If Fabman would let us in on his "Oil System Upgrades" we can spend our Christmas money early. :banghead: :hellyeah:
I sent the info to the broken motor people.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
What would have caused all this? Do the valves for that cylinder look ok?
Not sure yet, I’ll have to pull the head to see the valves. 🤞 I’m optimistic since the top of the piston isn’t beat up at all, and the spark plug didn’t have any evidence of being hit other than the electrode strap being compressed.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
67GTA

The cylinder walls look like mirrors in the bore pics, so I’m hopeful. The 12:1 Aluminator short block is pretty tempting though🤣

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Not sure yet, I’ll have to pull the head to see the valves. 🤞 I’m optimistic since the top of the piston isn’t beat up at all, and the spark plug didn’t have any evidence of being hit other than the electrode strap being compressed.
Where'd that chunk of the top of the piston go though? Sorry, inexperienced here. Trying to learn

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Officially down the “might as well do that if I’m pulling the engine” path!! What an expensive road to travel…

F73DBC40-7291-4A5B-AC2E-9453717A39B6.jpeg
BB1C3998-06B1-4672-BE1F-62AA41258DB2.jpeg

12:1 Gen 3 short block is on order from RPG Race Engines. Very similar to the Ford Aluminator without the February lead time.

The “path” so far:
-GT500 Aluminum oil pan & pump
-GT500 cam covers
-Modular Head Shop PAC valve spring and retainer kit
-FRPP high performance lash adjusters
-47# FRPP injectors for e85 conversion
-Fluidyne 3 row/3 pass radiator
-5.2L high flow water pump
-Setrab 948 oil cooler
-Hooker Blackheart headers - 1 3/4” primary

Any S197 guys looking for headers - Hooker has these 1 3/4” headers on clearance if you order direct from their site — normally $1150, available for $605.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Officially down the “might as well do that if I’m pulling the engine” path!! What an expensive road to travel…

View attachment 70789
View attachment 70791

12:1 Gen 3 short block is on order from RPG Race Engines. Very similar to the Ford Aluminator without the February lead time.

The “path” so far:
-GT500 Aluminum oil pan & pump
-GT500 cam covers
-Modular Head Shop PAC valve spring and retainer kit
-FRPP high performance lash adjusters
-Fluidyne 3 row/3 pass radiator
-5.2L high flow water pump
-Setrab 948 oil cooler
-Hooker Blackheart headers - 1 3/4” primary

Any S197 guys looking for headers - Hooker has these 1 3/4” headers on clearance if you order direct from their site — normally $1150, available for $605.
That’s a hell of a deal on that short block.

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
Lethal Performance is selling sets of Ford 52lb injectors for less than the LU47s. Gives you a little more headroom when running E85.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Finally got a peek inside and it seems I was very fortunate. The valves have some visible marks on them. Honestly, the surface doesn’t feel that bad / more like it knocked the carbon deposits off but didn’t dent the valve for the most part. The combustion chamber itself is nearly perfect. Once I get the valve spring compressor, Ill pull the valves to check the valve seats, etc. Hopeful that 4 new valves will have me back in action.

The cylinder walls show no signs of damage. I’ll freshen this up with new rods/pistons/bearings and have a spare short block ready to roll.

4E954DC4-8A57-44A6-AC72-E6595F65EC15.jpeg
0A139B0C-2F18-428F-BD92-50FF22D4A0F9.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Finally got a peek inside and it seems I was very fortunate. The valves have some visible marks on them. Honestly, the surface doesn’t feel that bad / more like it knocked the carbon deposits off but didn’t dent the valve for the most part. The combustion chamber itself is nearly perfect. Once I get the valve spring compressor, Ill pull the valves to check the valve seats, etc. Hopeful that 4 new valves will have me back in action.

The cylinder walls show no signs of damage. I’ll freshen this up with new rods/pistons/bearings and have a spare short block ready to roll.

View attachment 70883
View attachment 70884
Wow, that could have been SO much worse.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Valve spring compressor arrived today allowing the final reveal in cylinder 7. Very happy to see nice shiny seats with no nicks or scratches. How that chunk made it through those small clearances remains a mystery, but grateful that it did.

B3B52630-7869-4EF6-81B6-B121E6A285F0.jpeg

For anyone considering a valve spring compressor, I strongly recommend the Euroexport tool. Well worth the $80, considering that’s half the cost of other styles. Don’t let the name fool you - this bad boy is made in the 🇺🇸!!

FD67F3E9-3B91-4A93-95D8-7FD232D7DBFC.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Not build related, but pretty excited that the new trailer finally arrived. Ordered this back in May of last year. They’re built in New Zealand, so you can imagine the challenges of getting them built and imported through the Port of Long Beach. Now I just need to get the engine back together so we can try it out!

7767C104-2839-4D95-9F83-F56F09F7C822.jpeg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Auckland, New Zealand
Not build related, but pretty excited that the new trailer finally arrived. Ordered this back in May of last year. They’re built in New Zealand, so you can imagine the challenges of getting them built and imported through the Port of Long Beach. Now I just need to get the engine back together so we can try it out!

View attachment 71553

Wow, great to see people using a New Zealand product over in the US! Futura trailers are very popular here in NZ.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I know 3 pass radiators have been discussed before, and some are advertised as 3 pass but aren’t a true 3 pass design. @Fabman has a nice write up on how he modified his Fluidyne by welding plates in the end tank. I ordered Fluidyne part #FHP30X-05MU-3P, which they advertise as a 3 row, 3 pass. This part number has the proper plates welded in the end tanks similar to Sal’s.

6197A71A-DE8B-4A10-9215-8DA558471CA9.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors