The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 @4o6racing Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
We've merged the Gen 1 and 2 head gaskets as the 12mm bolt holes work on an 11mm setup. The head does the oil flow metering so, we use the Gen 2 oil passage in the gasket. But the Gen 3 is a unique HG and cannot be combined into the prior designs. However, when doing a "Frankenstein" setup, I'd love to lay a Gen 3 HG on a Gen 1 Head to see what does or doesn't line up.

I can't figure out how to "quote" and reply. So this is in reply to post 134

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Picked the car up from the exhaust shop this afternoon after they were done working their craft. After fighting the slip joints on the cat-back pipes multiple times, I decided it was time to convert to v-bands. Always enjoy seeing the finished product of true craftsmen.

The trip to the exhaust shop was the maiden voyage with the new Futura trailer that I bought from @EIGHTLUG - these trailers really make it too easy to load and unload.

Next and final step before track time is a dyno tune session with Shaun at AED. I’ve decided it’s worth the trip to have him tune it in person. He’s going to fine tune with 91 octane first, and then we’ll cut over to E85 for the track tune. Curious to see what the dyno has to say.

3288DBF2-2EDE-446E-9E3C-889497784252.jpeg5C9C1BC5-A702-42AD-839A-B4B016C8659F.jpeg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Picked the car up from the exhaust shop this afternoon after they were done working their craft. After fighting the slip joints on the cat-back pipes multiple times, I decided it was time to convert to v-bands. Always enjoy seeing the finished product of true craftsmen.

The trip to the exhaust shop was the maiden voyage with the new Futura trailer that I bought from @EIGHTLUG - these trailers really make it too easy to load and unload.

Next and final step before track time is a dyno tune session with Shaun at AED. I’ve decided it’s worth the trip to have him tune it in person. He’s going to fine tune with 91 octane first, and then we’ll cut over to E85 for the track tune. Curious to see what the dyno has to say.

View attachment 73302View attachment 73303

Great idea with the V-band clamps, I may have to steal that when I finally get done cursing at my exhaust each time I have to meddle with it. Also that trailer is a thing of beauty. I can't help but check them out whenever I see one before I have to walk back to whatever creaking pile U-haul gave me for the weekend. Do you mind sharing how long it took to get the trailer after ordering it?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Great idea with the V-band clamps, I may have to steal that when I finally get done cursing at my exhaust each time I have to meddle with it. Also that trailer is a thing of beauty. I can't help but check them out whenever I see one before I have to walk back to whatever creaking pile U-haul gave me for the weekend. Do you mind sharing how long it took to get the trailer after ordering it?
I ordered it in May of 2021 and it arrived in Long Beach the first week of January. Hopefully the lead times have improved a bit as the port gets through the backlog. Curtis at Archetype Racing would be able to give a better estimate on next order timing. Glad I bought when I did, because I can only imagine prices have gone up like everything else.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Well you’re at the right place.
I just wish that place was a bit closer - 900 mile/19 hour round trip yesterday up and back. No regrets though - it was great spending the afternoon with Shaun and learning in between updates. Even got to hand-inspect the cam journals for your new bullet!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I just wish that place was a bit closer - 900 mile/19 hour round trip yesterday up and back. No regrets though - it was great spending the afternoon with Shaun and learning in between updates. Even got to hand-inspect the cam journals for your new bullet!
Oh oh….you’ve seen it before I’ve seen it….I’m so jelly.
Glad you got it all handled, Shaun is a really good guy and he’s super smart so you are in good hands.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Well, shakedown weekend and first NASA TT with the new bullet is in the books. The engine performed flawlessly. Can definitely feel the 45whp, and the higher mph on the straights confirms.

After taking some weight off the car, and adding some back with the upgraded cooling system, I was left guessing on final weight for TT classing. Wouldn’t normally be a big deal, but the 406 avg. horsepower calc (meant to be with my car # I guess?) would be razor close and could allow me to run A7’s. Not wanting to chance a DQ, the decision was made to run a set of 200tw for Saturday and verify weight. Of course I leave stuff until the last minute, so I was less than amused when I found this while inspecting the Goodyear SC3 set.

376E4F89-E6AA-4F1E-8939-98B2C516AF98.jpeg

Yeah, they’ve been sitting since May 2021. TFW you realize the 2 year damage replacement deal with @APEXRaceParts expired 13 days ago… Oh well, grateful they had a replacement in stock and ready to ship.

That left me with the Conti ECF set, which were not my first choice because of pace. Still went with them to avoid DQ. Started out first session (which doesn’t count) running a 1:52 - about a second faster than the same tire back in October when the motor let go. Weighed after the session - still scratching my head from them telling me it was 3,900#. Oh well, A7’s for Sunday it is! Second session was mired with a bunch of ST clowns thinking it was a wheel to wheel session after an Audi race car that was seriously lacking talent grouped the field up. Easily the most pissed off I’ve ever been in a TT session. Could only muster up a 1:54, and knew I would be putting pressure on the warm afternoon sessions.

As it would be, the afternoon sessions wouldn’t happen. The clearance around the new oil cooler lines was good, but I seriously underestimated how 150mph wind would move them behind the fan shroud. The return line from the cooler touched the alternator pulley, which I didn’t realize until returning from lunch to a big puddle of oil. Day 1 over, DFL in TT3 and scrambling to get it fixed for Sunday.

For any of you that made it this far, bear with me on a slight tangent. When I put the cooling system together, I thought I would build my own -12 lines. I ordered the best stuff I could get from Summit, and was eager to turn this small $500 box into something useful. That eagernesses quickly wore off fighting the damn screw together AN fittings - especially trying to get the 90 degree fittings pushed all the way into the hose. There’s a local company called DYME PSI that builds custom hoses. Any of you that have bought the oil crossover lines from Archetype Racing are familiar with them. I went to their website, put in my dimensions and fitting types, submitted the order and gave them a call to see if local pickup was an option. It was, and Brendan said they would be done the same day. (What??). Oh, and did I mention the assembled and pressure tested hoses cost less than the box full of crap I was trying to build on my own??!!

So when I’m standing there in the paddock with an oil puddle on the ground thinking the weekend is over - imagine how happy I was to find out that Brendan was in the shop that afternoon, and would have a new hose made before I got there to pick it up. Unbelievable service. If you need hoses, seriously check them out.

Got the car back together, went back home and inspected the A7’s and set pressures. Ready to go again Sunday. Conditions were more than ideal with fog and cool air. First session out was a 1:50.5 - personal best by a couple tenths and felt like there was plenty left on the table. That 10th heat cycle must have been the last good one in those tires, because they just didn’t have that same magic as the day heated up. Ran all 4 sessions with no mechanical problems, and managed the last spot on the podium behind two GT350’s - the faster of the 2 on A7’s as well and only 1.2 ahead of me. Next time!

602CD88D-F684-4C9A-884D-A10FEDEBB0BA.png
8F047169-C164-4510-A1DC-E55D1EB1363B.jpeg
07161ABD-AB9C-4331-AF22-4DE613287930.jpeg
341FD781-092E-49BF-94CF-C8ACAC8CB8AF.jpeg

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors